Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 04:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well, due to the economic boom, we have a lot of customers who are either totally new to car buying or didn't know of any car other than Maruti800, 10 years ago.

For them, the old 309 means nothing and Peugeot is an all new car and they will go for it.
Old 4th December 2007, 04:53   #17
BHPian

Peugeot makes cars of good design/handling but with high maintenance costs typical for an euro made car. 203 is the only model i used to see in Singapore or any asia pac region other than very little no of sedans(309?). Unless otherwise they come with a strong resolve to be best in A.S.S, it is very tough for Peugeot to make a mark here for the kind of roads we have here.

Last edited by sgmuser : 4th December 2007 at 04:54.
Old 4th December 2007, 07:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
theMAG : Then there's the small matter of Peugeot's very unique designs that only France loves
Steeroid : Actually Peugeot's designs (and some of Citroen's) are pretty good. Its Renault that makes some really queer-looking cars that only the French seem to like.
Peugeot's got some beautiful designs. And if they come in, Indica V3 will be non-starter in the looks department.

Quote:
cemac : Sorry Guys, I may dissapoint you guys .... . but tell you frankly ... <<< I >>> have still not used a car that was similliar to the 309GLD range
Another gentleman who believes this would be Girish Karnad. He's still using his Peugeot.
Old 4th December 2007, 07:35   #19

Guys ,

Show me a negative response from a person who has used a peugeot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcandle View Post
I think people who were directly involved in the Peugeot (or PAL, but Peugeot was blamed) scam, would have severe hesitations about becoming their customers.

Redcandle
peple who have used a peugeot wont have a negative thinking about it. did you find even a single negative response from a person who has used it.

Amazing to know that Girish Karnad is using a peugeot. thats nice

Last edited by Zappo : 5th December 2007 at 18:32. Reason: Don't make two contiguous posts. Type them in as one. If needed use Edit button in the 1st 20 minutes.
Old 4th December 2007, 10:28   #20
BHPian

Their cars are really good looking and also the suspension are good as well.
If they come and launch their hatch like 206 ,207 gt series wow they are just amazing and tough competitor for Fiat and Maruthi here.
Old 4th December 2007, 10:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Where can i get to read in detail about their first innings in India?
Any site which has details of this?
Old 4th December 2007, 10:57   #22
Team-BHP Support

Indian market is not forgiving.
Look at Fiat. One fiasco, and they are struggling. Even Tata can't help them even though they have a pretty decent car up for sale at a decent price.
It will all depend on how Peugot can sell themselves.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well fiat aint running much coz of the pricing of spares which people if they dont know think it to be really expensive.

Loved the looks of 309 when it came in india and somehow found it to be a great looker!! Liked it better than my esteem.
I feel they deserve a chance and if they can prove themself then so be it. But the main problem is any person buying a car tends to speak to many people and here the problem arises as someone may tell him that puegot had come before!
Old 4th December 2007, 11:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
But the main problem is any person buying a car tends to speak to many people and here the problem arises as someone may tell him that puegot had come before!
Power of the word of mouth. And it is really powerful.
Old 4th December 2007, 12:19   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Loved the looks of 309 when it came in india and somehow found it to be a great looker!! Liked it better than my esteem.

Same here.

Nice to see there are other T-BHPeans who loved the looks of that car (the 309, I think).

I was a boy then and do not remember what exactly happened but I think PAL spoiled all the fun with serial strikes, etc. Anyone remembers the details? Please share.
Old 4th December 2007, 12:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys,

Where can i get to read in detail about their first innings in India?
Any site which has details of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I was a boy then and do not remember what exactly happened but I think PAL spoiled all the fun with serial strikes, etc. Anyone remembers the details? Please share.

Investors, FIs lose heavily in PAL-Peugeot
George Mathew
MUMBAI, April 5: PAL-Peugeot Ltd, the first major auto joint venture after the industry was thrown open for the entry of foreign players, is in a major financial mess with investors and financial institutions slowly losing hopes of getting back their funds to the tune of Rs 455 crore (Rs 230 crore through public issue and Rs 195 crore institutional loans). With both the promoters - Premier Automobiles of the Doshi family and Peugeot of France - ditching the much talked-about project, the company has failed to finalise even the balance sheet for the year 1997.

Investors, FIs lose heavily in PAL-Peugeot

Essentially they set up a company called PAL Peugeot Ltd, did a public issue and collected funds, didnt even finalize their first balance sheet and left both investors and people that had booked cars paying Rs.25,000 as deposit in the lurch.

Search for PAL Peugeot on the web and you will find many cases filed by customers against the company, against their dealers and against anyone they could lay their hands on. For eg:

NATIONAL CONSUMER DISPUTES REDRESSAL COMMISSION

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th December 2007 at 12:31.
Old 4th December 2007, 12:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

I do hope they launch the 307 and it fails miserably... so that I can buy it dirt cheap .

Last edited by spadival : 4th December 2007 at 12:48. Reason: Got the number wrong.. 309 instead of 307 !!
Old 4th December 2007, 12:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Indian market is not forgiving.
Look at Fiat. One fiasco, and they are struggling.
Pls share the fiasco commited by Fiat?
Unlike Peugeot, Fiat didn't shut down and leave its customers in lurch though they too had issues with PAL!

In fact, they bought over the PAL stake and became a fully owned subsidiary of Fiat Group, they are serious about Indian market and thats why the alliance with Tata now.
Old 4th December 2007, 12:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys, can we please leave Fiat out of this. This is a Peugeot thread.

French and italians have never known to mix well (Ask Mussolini and deGaulle), so lets not attempt this in this thread also.
Old 4th December 2007, 13:15   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Pls share the fiasco commited by Fiat?
Unlike Peugeot, Fiat didn't shut down and leave its customers in lurch though they too had issues with PAL!

In fact, they bought over the PAL stake and became a fully owned subsidiary of Fiat Group, they are serious about Indian market and thats why the alliance with Tata now.
Please read my post again. I am not saying Fiat has ditched customers. They are committed to the Indian market, and Alliance with Tata proves this.
I was talking about the "Indian Market" which is "unforgiving" and does not forget about past mistakes.
My post is about the unforgiving nature of the Indian market. This unforgiving nature is going to haunt Peugot too just the way it affects Palio. Without past baggage there is no reason for the Palio not to sell 5000 units every month.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks