Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2007, 11:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Sam
What you said is right. You can build a brand from citroen. People will not go back to the previous debacle and also if they launch products here as soon as their worldwide launch then they can enjoy a good space here. After all they can even get Loeb to come over and try some marketing tricks like a wrc street performance or so.
Nothing is like impossible. Lets see how much the media wont go baying for them like "Breaking news pehla accident" "pehla scratch or first service!!!"
At the rate the news is going its not impossible though
Old 5th December 2007, 12:15   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
But it would make more marketing sense to build Citroën as a brand, rather than re-build Peugeot as an apology. Don't you agree?

They might have to hide the Peugeot connections, and start-off with an excellent product (that, as you pointed out with Skoda) can build the brand in India.
Old 5th December 2007, 14:09   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

I want to buy a Citroen! Yay! The one with the lever that raises and lowers the car on its hydraulic suspension. How's that? Adjustable road clearance!

...What do you mean that was over thirty years ago? <sob>

Citroen used to build crazy, wonderful pieces of mechanics, with lots of hydraulics, all in a huge body made of thin stuff that dented if you lent against it. Oh, and the 2CV, of course, which you could knock back together by leaning against it, and repair with a hammer and a pair of pliers. That would be good for India

I remember the headline at the time that Ford released the Ka, and citroen gave up its individuality for the same old computer-aided design ethos as everybody else: Something to the effect of: Double shock: Ford producing Interesting design, Citroen produces Boring design.

But... I remember the pic of the current big Citroen from Sam's travel photos: very nice-looking car; just quirky enough to stand out.

A closer experience, is that my friend drove me around hills and lanes of Cornwall, UK, in his small Citroen (I don't know the model numbers). I think I'd trade in my Swift for one of those pretty sharpish! Diesel too. I'd guess it'd be better value for money than the Fabia, when it comes.

"Skoda is reguarded in India as a luxury brand" --- yes, and the Skoda marketing directors probably set aside five minutes a week to have a good laugh about that success!

Nothing against Skoda; nothing at all --- as a good-value cheaper alternative to VW/Audi.
Old 5th December 2007, 15:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I'm waiting at their doorstep. They still haven't refunded our booking amount!!
so Peugeot, here is the first customer waiting for you
Old 5th December 2007, 16:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brand is everything. And Citroën is an undamaged brand.
Sam you're a genius.

btw could you plz repost some of those fabulous Peugeot pictures you took on your Paris yatra on this thread. Those from the Peugeot dealership. Some of those cars were 'divine-looking'.

I hadn't seen such awesome designs ever till you posted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That E Ginathom
But... I remember the pic of the current big Citroen from Sam's travel photos: very nice-looking car; just quirky enough to stand out.

A closer experience, is that my friend drove me around hills and lanes of Cornwall, UK, in his small Citroen (I don't know the model numbers). I think I'd trade in my Swift for one of those pretty sharpish! Diesel too. I'd guess it'd be better value for money than the Fabia, when it comes.

"Skoda is reguarded in India as a luxury brand" --- yes, and the Skoda marketing directors probably set aside five minutes a week to have a good laugh about that success!

Nothing against Skoda; nothing at all --- as a good-value cheaper alternative to VW/Audi.
the one Sam posted was the C6, in the E-class bracket. But the C4 & 5 are equally competent as well. They look very 'cute' for lack of a better word and the world needs a break from those stiff German designs.

Last edited by lurker : 5th December 2007 at 16:13.
Old 5th December 2007, 16:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcandle View Post
I think people who were directly involved in the Peugeot (or PAL, but Peugeot was blamed) scam, would have severe hesitations about becoming their customers.

I remember my father booked one of those 309, but was amongst other who lost all there money. I think Peugeot will have to undertake some serious brand repairing to be perceived as a trustable brand in India. (Remember most people have got no clue about how the company performs elsewhere in the world)

Redcandle
same here my father and uncle booked 2 309s in 1996-97(roughly).paid about 11000/- for the bookings.. after that no call no nothing and the moneies lost
Old 5th December 2007, 18:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

They might have to hide the Peugeot connections, and start-off with an excellent product (that, as you pointed out with Skoda) can build the brand in India.
That would be the worst thing to do. I would hold great value for them if they are ready to apologise to the Indian market and if possible refund the lost money.

We all make mistakes and companies do too. They can better their image by making amends and proving their commitment to Indian buyers.
Old 5th December 2007, 18:25   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
btw could you plz repost some of those fabulous Peugeot pictures you took on your Paris yatra on this thread. Those from the Peugeot dealership. Some of those cars were 'divine-looking'.

I hadn't seen such awesome designs ever till you posted them.
Here you are my friend.

Old 5th December 2007, 18:26   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
That would be the worst thing to do. I would hold great value for them if they are ready to apologise to the Indian market and if possible refund the lost money.

We all make mistakes and companies do too. They can better their image by making amends and proving their commitment to Indian buyers.
Baba, would you buy a Daewoo Matiz for 4.5 lakhs if they said sorry?
Old 5th December 2007, 18:29   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful would be an understatement. If Peugeot brings these, wont you forgive them ? I would.

Sam, thanks for posting these pics.
does Daewoo have anything, even remotely, like this ?
Quote:
mail4ajo: I would hold great value for them if they are ready to apologise to the Indian market and if possible refund the lost money.
My thoughts too. But may not really be required. The number of people who actually lost money wouldnt be so big to make that much of a dent to Peugeot's aspirations. Attitudes & acceptance levels change with time. The user is more aware today, and Peugeot can actually make it work this time.

Last edited by condor : 5th December 2007 at 18:47.
Old 6th December 2007, 13:20   #56
BHPian

I don't think Peugeot would be successful. Indian's have a very strong memory and the way these guys have exited the market leaving the car buyers in lurch will weigh very heavily against them.
Old 6th December 2007, 15:55   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here you are my friend.

Call me old-fashioned, but to me this looks ugly, and resembles more of a shark.
Old 6th December 2007, 16:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
AFAIK Peugeot designs and makes these engines, which Ford uses under a agreement to share powertrains.
You are right. BMW too works with Peugeot for diesels.
Old 7th December 2007, 02:15   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

A Shark! Yes!

Wouldn't mind driving one of those sharks
Old 7th December 2007, 02:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Baba, would you buy a Daewoo Matiz for 4.5 lakhs if they said sorry?
That is a terrific example. I wouldn't buy one for sure. Nor would I recommend it to my family and friends.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks