Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2007, 16:47   #61
Senior - BHPian

Whether this is good news or bad, only time will tell. The only thing that comes to my mind is Indian customers will have a few more cars to choose from!
Old 7th December 2007, 17:41   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
The only thing that comes to my mind is Indian customers will have a few more cars to choose from!
It depends on the segment they are planning to enter. Its very difficult to break into sub 10lkh suzuki/hyundai/honda market.

Other recent entrants like VW, nissan(in sedan)... i am really not sure what these "premium" manufacturers plans are. Are they happy selling few high end cars per month?
Old 8th December 2007, 13:02   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It depends on the segment they are planning to enter. Its very difficult to break into sub 10lkh suzuki/hyundai/honda market.
Absolutely. Now, more than ever, they need to differentiate. Most successful sedans under 10 lakhs have some USP : SX4 : Super-value, NHC : Honda badge and please all, Fiesta : Super fuel-efficiency (diesel).
Old 9th December 2007, 19:52   #64
BHPian

Welcome peuguot to India

We must welcome the Peuguot if they are really serious.

I think they scouted around mumbai for getting what ever money they can get from Pal peuguot plant getting liquidated from DRT Mumbai after paying the financiers.

This is rumoured as if they are planning to make a reentry to our country.

I'm one of those 309 GLD users in bangalore.
Old 6th February 2008, 12:09   #65
BHPian

Some update, they are talking with Hero group for a JV.

Quote:
The Delhi-based Munjal family, owner of the $4-billion Hero Group and promoters of the world’s largest two-wheeler brand Hero Honda, is negotiating with the euro 56-billion French car major PSA Peugeot Citroen for a possible alliance for passenger cars.
Read here - Hero Group's Munjals tell Peugeot to hop in for new ride
Old 6th February 2008, 12:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

In technical aspects, Peugeot is good.

Somehow, the brand Peugeot evokes good thoughts in my mind. Probably, this is linked to the fact that my experience ('travelling in' and not 'driving') with Peugeot was during the period that I was in Italy. I do not have much idea of the Peugeot happenings in India.

In Italy, one of my acquaintances had a Peugeot 306 diesel sedan, quite old car but with a smooth running diesel engine. Also , I have travelled in many Peugeot taxis (new cars, so recent models), and all the times, I have come away liking the ride comfort. Most important, the engine : I think their diesel engines are excellent. Most of the times, I have wrongly thought it was a slightly noisy petrol engine; on checking with the taxi-driver : it was a diesel !!! and it accelerates quite fast, which means good low-end torque. And it is one of the cars which has a good resale value (at least in Italy).

It is sad that this wonderful brand has managed to s.c.r.e.w up it's Indian image : but I guess this is due mainly to the wrong startegic decisions. They should get in on their own in a big way, rather than having a tie-up with other companies. Tie-ups were the only way to get in to the Indian market in the 80s : not now. If they are serious about expanding their reach in Asia, they should set up India as a major hub for their operations.
And this is best done on their own.
Old 6th February 2008, 17:10   #67
BHPian

Peugeot diesel engine are already in India why their tie up with Ford . Ford's India 's diesel engines are manufactured in Eurpore in JV with PSA - Peugeot
Old 16th March 2012, 09:36   #68
BHPian

Re: Peugeot's second Innings- Welcome back, Not Really!

Is there any news? I heard a recent rumour that they were loking at India again. Even thogh they're nearly bankrupt now.
Old 24th April 2012, 22:18   #69
BHPian

Peugeot Citroen may build cars in India with GM | Reuters

What's with the French automakers ?
Renault piggy backing Nissan and now we have Peugeot planning the same with GM.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:14   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PSA/Peugeot-Citroen said it may build cars in India with General Motors, its new global alliance partner, effectively scrapping a planned 650 million euro ($850 million) investment in its own factory.
The companies will explore ways to use GM plants to support PSA's long-heralded return to the Indian market, said Gregoire Olivier, head of Asian operations for the French automaker.
We're not going to move forward by building our own factory as we'd planned to," Olivier said on Tuesday at the Beijing auto show.
We now have GM as a global partner, and GM has factories in India, so we're obviously reviewing our plans from the top," he said. "There are a lot of other ways to enter India now that they don't require us to put 600 million euros on the table

Old 25th April 2012, 09:02   #71
Team-BHP Support

In a nutshell, Peugeot are cash-strapped - low European sales, lack lustre product line (Citroen excepted), euro centric market have forced it into an alliance with GM.

Renault spread its wings with Nissan. VW thrives due to China. Peugeot have lost Africa and South America big time.

Good strategy to use GM factories which are not exactly over utilised

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion on the latest Peugeot thread. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 12:48. Reason: Adding link to new thread
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks