Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2006, 12:18   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Well, as you can see from my avatar, I succumbed to the temptation of clicking my speedo at 160 kmph in the stretch after the Kamshet tunnels on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway today, on the way to Pune. The road was empty, and the car was going dead straight, had my mobile in my hands ...

Pictures are worth a thousand words, they say. Sometimes they dont say everything. For example in this case

either

They dont say about the car being on Hydraulic Jacks (the kind found on Service stations)

Or

The car is being towed by a modded Zen
Old 19th June 2006, 12:39   #107
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
Pictures are worth a thousand words, they say. Sometimes they dont say everything. For example in this case

either

They dont say about the car being on Hydraulic Jacks (the kind found on Service stations)

Or

The car is being towed by a modded Zen
Nice one. You can see the full pic posted in the "Top Speeds" thread today, at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...speeds-51.html
Old 19th June 2006, 12:54   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Nice one. You can see the full pic posted in the "Top Speeds" thread today, at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...speeds-51.html

saw the pic its the same as your profile pic.

Anyway I was just pulling your leg.

But what you see, to me, is an illusion because to determine true topspeed most testers involve the average of To and Fro runs. The speed is measured by V-box or similar equipment. In this way, it is assured that the effects of

1> Slope
2> Wind
3> Speedo error

are nullified.

In anycase this thread is about why people still buy the Zen. The answer is the drivers pleasure the Zen offers. I dont own a Zen but whenever I drive one, it endears me to it. Simply clocking highest speeds is not the determinant of driving pleasure. Its the overall effect that matters. Which means how much the car communicates with you. Many people buy Zen only for its reliability. But redline a zen in every gear, take it through a series of corners then go back to the Santro and do the same, you'll know what I mean.
Old 19th June 2006, 19:13   #109
BHPian

Zen is a decent package..and makes for a good 2nd or 3rd car..

I am buying a small car , preferably diesel in 6- 8 months and ZEN / swift diesel , if launched by then are in my shortlist.
Old 20th June 2006, 12:15   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
Zen is a decent package..and makes for a good 2nd or 3rd car..

I am buying a small car , preferably diesel in 6- 8 months and ZEN / swift diesel , if launched by then are in my shortlist.

Zen Diesel engine bay did not have space for factory fitted airconditioner I guess. It had one of the best diesels around but the overall Zen package went kaput with that Nose heavy engine.
Old 20th June 2006, 14:59   #111
DRC
BHPian

One simple reason,

Maruti is still selling it
Old 20th June 2006, 15:11   #112
BHPian

hello our automotive market is still in the darke ages and ppl here always look for economy, sad isn't it but that is how it is.........now coming to the zen its one car that can't be matched for a lot of reasons.....its handling its appeal and it a fun to drive little beast.....just love the car but it a small car after all delivers to expections ans is VALUE For MONEY MiNDED...
Old 20th June 2006, 15:24   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Zen Diesel engine bay did not have space for factory fitted airconditioner I guess. It had one of the best diesels around but the overall Zen package went kaput with that Nose heavy engine.

Dont know about Zen Diesel. I still have a Esteem Diesel powered by TUD 5 engine.. and it is a very good car.. It has AC and is very frugal.. ( 16kmpl in city and 21+ kmpl om highway )

Infact its running cost is almost equal to my bullet thunderbirds running cost..It has a hydraulic power steering and doesnot feel nose heavy.
Old 20th June 2006, 15:29   #114
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m
hello our automotive market is still in the darke ages and ppl here always look for economy, sad isn't it but that is how it is......... [...]
If our people look for fuel-efficient cars, that is good not only for the people but also for the environment -- there will be much less pollution if we stick to cars that are fuel-efficient. Personally, I must confess that I don't care too much for fuel economy (would definitely trade a little for performance) but my car does have a reasonable FE.
Old 20th June 2006, 15:46   #115
BHPian

Quote:
The Zen diesel did have an AC and a very effective one at that!!! And the torque of that car makes it very easy to drive in the city!
Old 20th June 2006, 16:11   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks

In fact, I did 160 kmph in my Santro ZipDrive (1 lit) just this Sunday on a sloping stretch after the Kamshet tunnels during my weekly Mumbai-Pune run on the Expressway -- and did a lane change with one hand a this speed while the other was on the mobile. Contrary to the opinions expressed here, the Santro feels quite steady at high speeds except on rare occasions when there are very strong cross-winds (but then I suspect that most hatchbacks will not feel too comfortable under these conditions).
Dude. That is extremely unsafe, whether it's a Santro or a Zen. Please use a handsfree, for your safety as well as everyone else around you.
Old 20th June 2006, 16:41   #117
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Dude. That is extremely unsafe, whether it's a Santro or a Zen. Please use a handsfree, for your safety as well as everyone else around you.
Actually I was toying with the idea of clicking the speedo, so I took one hand off to pull out the mobile -- but in the meanwhile, had to change lane to maintain speed, as there was a slow vehicle in the middle lane. Finally decided that speedo click was too unsafe and put back the mobile. You are right about safety. I am getting a bit complacent (and at times bored) because I do this route every week -- will have to tighten up in future. I usally don't use my mobile while on the Expressway and I think it is better that way. And 120-130 kmph is a reasonable top speed, will try not to exceed that.
Old 21st June 2006, 01:53   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
I had a Uno for 6 years before I hanged it for a Santro ...while the Santro is a bit more refined...it cannot hold a candle to the uno in handling and ride comfort...it is a bit more like a refined bouncing ball!!! Though nice and light and much more fun to drive in the city compared to the heavy uno...the tables turn when it is on the highway...it is the uno you would want to be in....alas mine had develope too many reliability issues to be taken on one..and hence I exchanged it for a Santro...
Maybe you should try a palio/uno or even a Zen to compare how Santro handles
Old 9th August 2006, 01:43   #119

thats why zen is good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
This question has haunted me for quite some time....
When i see the roads everyday, they look like as if they are not made of concrete , but of Maruti Zen.... there are so many of them on roads, that u wonder whats so special about that car....

The main point i want to make here is that, yes agreed its a peppy little car with a very responsive engine, but the thing is...compare its competetion...
it priced between Rs. 3.5-4 lac.....
Now consider the situation when a common man enters the Car Showroom with this much budget....
He has the options of :-
Santro Xing:- More powerful (1.1 l as compared to 1 l) engine,
More BHP, more Torque, More front legroom(and possibly rear legroom), Engine as peppy and responsive if not better, and equally good service backup. Fuel efficiency about 0.5-1kmpl less.. dont know if this matters much...
Maruti WagonR:- Now this car actually costs less than Zen, but its engine is more advanced than that of Zen, add whatever i said about Xing, add to it its alomost same fuel efficiency and the fact that its a MARUTI.....
Maruti Alto top end version:- again i would say though the engine is not quite in the same league as Zen, i dont think that it is miles away in terms of performance compared to Zen, and exteriors are pretty similar as well, and BETTER fuel efficiency then Zen...
Fiat Palio base version I need not say much about this car... as fellow t-bhpians are big fans of it.. except for the poor fuel efficiency and a.s.s.

Now the question is what is that ONE BIG THING about Zen that sets it apart... that makes the common Indian a great lover of this car............
well ZEN got only 1 ltr engine but it has higher end gear retio than any of above cars...it can do 80 in 2nd gear and 120 in 3rd...2nd it has very low ground clearance so car dont let go its grip or changes lanes while high speed turning...

santro has ultra high sensitive stearing that car rolls if u do any fast action ..same goes to wagon R...and alto it just 798cc engine even karizma can beat that car easily

chk this out .. my ZEN .. u just need to love ur vehicle.. :P

http://rapidshare.de/files/28676804/160.jpg.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/28676969/...kmph_.3gp.html
Old 9th August 2006, 02:17   #120
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker911ad
chk this out .. my ZEN .. u just need to love ur vehicle.. :P

Which gear were you in? 5th or 4th?
As normally these small petrol vehicles do more in 4th... so if that was fifth!.. fourth would be 180????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks