Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 23:32   #31
BANNED

Re: What is the Process for getting a Duplicate RC Book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Folks

I just wanted to know what would be the procedure to get a duplicate RC book if one loses all the documents, The RC book, the insurance PUC, all the copies and everything.

How to proceed from such a situation?

PUC - get a new one.

Insurance - go the branch which issued you the insurance policy. Or find the agent who did it. Cost of a duplicate would be as little as 50 or 100 INR.

RC - contact the nearest RTO agent. Saves you a lot of time and hassle; but will bleed you financially.

All you need is the reg. number for all the above.

You also have lost another important document - the Tax "round" - the proof of payment of Road tax. Get a duplicate of that too. The agent would be able to find it for you Regn. number alone may not be sufficient in this case to trace out the last tax payment. SOmetimes, tax is paid on the day after the vehicle is registered. .
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 23:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
PUC - get a new one.

Insurance - go the branch which issued you the insurance policy. Or find the agent who did it. Cost of a duplicate would be as little as 50 or 100 INR.

RC - contact the nearest RTO agent. Saves you a lot of time and hassle; but will bleed you financially.

All you need is the reg. number for all the above.

You also have lost another important document - the Tax "round" - the proof of payment of Road tax. Get a duplicate of that too. The agent would be able to find it for you Regn. number alone may not be sufficient in this case to trace out the last tax payment. SOmetimes, tax is paid on the day after the vehicle is registered. .
Thanks BaCkSeAtDrIVeR.

On more rigorous search, I have managed to find the copy of RC book which I had taken few years back while the car was in my employer's name. Later, I had changed the ownership to my name, but I don't have a copy with that endorsement.

Is this copy useful for anything at all?

Regarding Insurance, I had a chat with the agent, he says that they need a copy of the RC book to issue a duplicate insurance statement. Will this old copy without my name on it suffice?

Last edited by clevermax : 12th April 2011 at 23:47.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:15   #33
BANNED

That copy may remove some psychological barriers / the typical mistrust a babu may have for people approaching them.

I am a bit surprised that the insurance co wants a copy of the RC book to issue a duplicate policy, because, you need to furnish a copy of the insurance copy for obtaining any document from the RTO.

It is to avoid this catch22 situation that I suggested approaching an agent. Also, catch hold of your insurance agent by the ears and go direct to the branch, with the copy of old RC in hand. Make it clear that you have lost your RC and that you have since changed the Reg. owner to your own name.

While at the insurance office, make sure that you get at least the policy number (and write it down) - even if you do not get the duplicate itself.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

RC Book lost - they want a copy of insurance
Insurance paper lost - they want a copy of RC book

Yes, this is a catch 22 situation if you lose both. I contacted my agent and gave him a copy of the RC book with the older owner's name. He said he will get Insurance papers' duplicates. Yes, I already have the insurance number with me.

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th April 2011 at 17:36.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 10:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Update:
I've found my RC book & Insurance papers!!
It was there in the Glove box of my friend's car! He noticed it when the car was being given for an interior cleaning. Funny thing is, I had put it in his car when I gave my car for an interior cleaning

In the meantime, I had applied for a duplicate of my Insurance paper, and I managed to get it. But now I have both the original and the duplicate issue of the Insurance papers.

Fully legit, I can peacefully drive the car again.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th April 2011 at 10:41.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Update:
I've found my RC book & Insurance papers!!
It was there in the Glove box of my friend's car! He noticed it when the car was being given for an interior cleaning. Funny thing is, I had put it in his car when I gave my car for an interior cleaning
Congrats! Looks like you and my B.I.L. have a lot in common! If you are not sure of what, please read the opening post.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:28   #37
BHPian

Folks,

Here's a template format I made for filing that police FIR on your lost RC book. It's a word doc - fill in your details (the light blue fields) and take a printout with you to the police station

I had to do a bit of reading to figure out all the steps in this process, and this blog post helped quite a bit: Evil's Lair: Duplicate RC book
Old 15th June 2011, 11:44   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Surya wrote in with this valuable piece of advice. Thanks for sharing!

How to get a duplicate RC book in Gurgaon:

Quote:
Hi

Can you post following on the Forum for benefit of the others...

Procedure of getting a duplicate RC issued (in case you lost it) in Gurgaon:

1. Get two affidavit issued from the court/notary declaring it is lost and not deposited against Challan etc./suspended etc.

2. Get a copy of your address proof attested.

2. Take one affidavit to nearest police station wherever you lost it and request for filing the FIR. they will give you a true certified copy of the FIR lodged and keep the affidavit with them.

3. Go to SDM office. They have one Ek Disha Kendra. go there. take form 26 from the first desk. fill up the form and go to the fee counter with filled up form, affidavit, FIR and address proof. they will charge about Rs. 200. get the receipt take the file with receipt to another counter where the person sitting will take the file and issue the receipt for file and put a date for collection.

the whole process will take about 30-60 mins if the docs are ready. I tried to find this process online but could not. so it took two half days to me. well this would benefit all.

thanks
Surya
Old 30th July 2012, 17:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Does a duplicate RC book state on the RC book that it is duplicate or is it just like the original?
Old 15th August 2012, 17:13   #40
BHPian

We had lost the original RC book of our Innova. We got a duplicate RC book. Now when we are trying to sell the car, the used car dealers are telling us that the resale value would be less,since banks don't give loans to car with duplicate RC book. Is it true?
Old 25th May 2014, 11:12   #41
BHPian

Hello All,

Today I applied for a duplicate 'RC' for my car as I lost it. It was a tiresome task to do without an agent/broker. I had to strive for 4 days to get things done.

If any of you guys wants to apply for a duplicate 'RC', below are the steps which you need to follow. Hope this will help you people avoiding the struggle for 3 to 4 days like me.

Steps to be performed:

Step 1: Write a complaint letter describing how, when & where you lost the 'RC'. Don't request for a FIR in the letter, it is just a request / complaint letter stating you lost the 'Registration Certificate' for your Car/Bike and you need help in searching the same. (I had to write in Tamil as Police personnel wanted me to write , though it is not compulsory)
To be enclosed:
a) 2 Post card size photo of your car with you standing next to it.
b) 2 Address Proof copies (Ration Card / Voter Id / Passport)
c) 2 Photocopy of the RC (If you don't have a copy, get in touch with the Car Dealer from where the Car / Bike was bought or the bank / finance company if loan is taken, they will surely have a copy of it)
d) 2 Photocopy of your License
e) 2 copies of complaint letter
Enclose the above as 2 separate sets and give it to the police personnel and get the acknowledgement slip for the same.
It will take 10 business days for them to give you 'Missing Certificate' stating 'RC' could not be traced. First step complete.

Step 2: Reach the ‘RTO’; get two 'Form 26' from nearby store. It will cost Rs.3 each.
a) Fill both forms and sign it.
b) Find the Chassis number in the car. Use the blank space at the bottom of the "Form 35" & emboss the chassis number on the space using a pencil. (Keep the paper on the top of Chassis number & scratch using the pencil. Number will get engraved on the paper). Do the same for both the Form 26 copies.

Step 3: If your Car/Bike is under Hypothecation (Bank / Finance company). There are 2 scenarios:
a) If your Loan is closed but Hypothecation is not cancelled in the RC - Get three "Form 35" (Rs.3 each) & get all three duly filled by the Bank / Finance company with Seal and Sign. (One Copy for the Bank/Finance Company & two copies for the 'RTO').
Also you need to get a 'Loan Closure Certificate' from Bank / Finance company stating you have successfully repaid the loan and there are no dues.
b) If you are still repaying your loans - You need to get a 'No Objection Certificate' from Bank / Finance company

Step 4: Park your Car / Bike in front of the RTO. Take a snap standing next to your vehicle, making sure RTO board is clearly visible in the snap. Process the photo in form of a Postcard.

Step 5: Get the pollution certificate for your car. Have a photocopy of the same ready.

Step 6: Get a copy of vehicle Insurance; make sure it is not expired

Step 7: Get 2 passport size photographs of yours
Now everything is ready, let's get things enclosed.
I) Two filled, signed & chassis number engraved "Form 26"
II) Two filled and signed "Form 35"
III) Loan closure certificate (Original copy)
IV) ‘No objection certificate’ (Original Copy)
V) Photocopy of RC
VI) Photocopy of Insurance
VII) Photocopy of Pollution certificate
VIII) Two passport size photographs
IX) 1 postcard snap of you standing with you vehicle in front of RTO office

Step 8: Staple the set and get it signed by the RTO officer

Step 9: Once signed by the RTO officer, pay the fees at the fees counter. You will get 2 copies of the bill (Office & Applicant). Tear the applicant copy and keep it with you. Paste the office bill copy on the first sheet of the set using a Gum. Don’t staple it, as they will not accept.
Duplicate RC - Rs.100
Hypothecation Cancellation - Rs.100
Tax - Rs.50

Step 10: Now the tough task, take the whole set to the Brake inspector. He needs to inspect your vehicle. (It took 3 hours for me)
This will happen primarily in a RTO allocated ground where ‘tests for license and FC checks happens’. This is a time consuming task as you need to wait for Brake inspector to come and inspect your vehicle. Inspector checks whether the chassis number on the "Form 26" & in the vehicle are the same. After the check, you will be asked to come to the RTO at a stipulated time for his report.

Step 11: Get back to RTO and get the report from Brake inspector and attach the same with your set.

Step 12: Now everything is ready, take the set to the application receiving counter. Give the same to them. You will be asked to come after a week to collect the Duplicate RC.

I am waiting now.
mvaidy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 22:28   #42

My issue has little extra deviations!

I got my Suzuki Access in Indra Nagar, Bangalore.
Got transferred to Chennai. Using the scooter here in Chennai.

Misplaced my RC book/smartcard

So what are the steps to be taken to get the RC book.

(Also I assume that if I want to transfer my Karnataka registration to Tamilnadu registration I need the Karnataka RC book / smart card)
Old 27th September 2016, 15:19   #43
SRN

Process for getting a Duplicate RC at Pune RTO

Hi All,
Today I applied for a duplicate 'RC' for my car at Pune RTO. Had to run a bit from one window to another, so thought of penning down my experience which may be help others.

For starters do note that Pune RTO works from 10 AM to 2:30 PM (they guy behind the counter refused to entertain me on Day 1 when I reached there by 2:00PM… says the timing is till 2 while the board outside says 2:30!)

Step 1: Log a complaint with your local police station and obtain a copy of the complaint.
When I approached my nearest police station, the gentlemen there asked me to prepare an affidavit on a 100 Rupee stamp paper, get it notarised and bring. He made it sound like a INR 400 / 500 job (kinda guessed where this was leading to). It sounded a bit laborious so asked him what was the alternative. For the same amount he said he could get it done instantly and get all the signatures promptly! Went for the tatkal seva.

Step 2: Prepare your documentation
  1. Form 26 – Please note that the Chassic print (pencil print) has to be taken on the Form. I took it on a piece of paper but had to cut and stick it on the Form
  2. Police complaint – I believe this is required only in cases where RC has been lost. Not in case of mutilated or torn RC replacement requirement.
  3. Insurance documents
  4. PUC copy
  5. Tax book copy
  6. NOC from Financer (if applicable)
  7. Mutilated / Torn RC (if applicable)
  8. Chassis Pencil Print (take couple of copies for those just in case scenarios)

Step 3: The RTO circus! (This is more specific to Pune RTO, not sure about others)
  1. Approach Counter 15, pay INR 50/- and ask for Vehicle Particular Information. The gentlemen there will take the money (and will demand for change!) and give you a slip.
  2. Take the slip and approach counter 33, the gentlemen there will generate a print with the vehicle details. Attach it to your bunch. In my case the address listed there was an old address (though I had changed it earlier at the RTO) and the vehicle was shown as new! I went back and informed the counter 33 gentlemen and the reply was “the details printed are the information captured when the vehicle was first registered”
  3. Sign and self-attest all the documents.
  4. For 4 wheeler RC only – Approach Assistant RTO (Mr. Sawant) along with your photo ID. He will verify and sign the document, and will ask you to sign and prov. He will verify and sign the document, and will ask you to sign and provide right thumb impression.
  5. For 2 wheeler RC – One can directly approach Counter 15A
  6. Once you get RTO signature, go to Counter 15A. The gentleman there will again verify and write the amount to be paid on the top
  7. Go back to counter 15, pay the amount (INT 150/-) and get the acknowledgement and you are done!

I was told to expect the duplicate RC in 20 day!

Hope this is of some help. Do note that they keep changing and reinventing this circus, but a welcome sign that you no longer have to rely on agents.
SRN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 13:06   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting on behalf of my friend.

My friend lost his bike (bought used and ownership transferred already) original RC. We understand the procedure from filing a complaint till RTO formalities. Doubt is bike was originally registered with TN45 (Trichy) RTO and owenrship transfer was done with TN39 (Tirupur) RTO, which RTO should we approach now for getting duplicate RC? And is there any special procedure for this case? (2 different RTOs)
Old 18th October 2016, 17:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

As the RC has been endorsed in Tirupur the Tirupur RTO has to be approached.

No special procedure at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Posting on behalf of my friend.

My friend lost his bike (bought used and ownership transferred already) original RC. We understand the procedure from filing a complaint till RTO formalities. Doubt is bike was originally registered with TN45 (Trichy) RTO and owenrship transfer was done with TN39 (Tirupur) RTO, which RTO should we approach now for getting duplicate RC? And is there any special procedure for this case? (2 different RTOs)
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks