Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2008, 06:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Read Carefully

@Gangsta,
I know that Baleno is not a great curiser, thats why I said "it is worth a mention" .

I clearly said that Skoda is the winner.

And Santro cannot touch 150kmph.
Old 19th March 2008, 08:49   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@Gangsta,
I know that Baleno is not a great curiser, thats why I said "it is worth a mention" .

I clearly said that Skoda is the winner.

And Santro cannot touch 150kmph.
Yup, i had read about Skoda in your previous post.

aaggoswami Mate Santro can touch 150+ kmph mark. Me myself touched 160 kmph but not going beyond that. It was a scary but exciting as the car was floating.

Can't believe? Many of tbhians had gone beyond 150 kmph on santro. Search on the forum, especially top speed thread. I wont recommend you to try it on a santro as i did once but na dangerous thing to do on a santro, i wont go for it again unless its an emergency.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:31   #63
BHPian

Santro Auto doesnt go beyond 140 at all. Manual may be touching 160 speedo speed, in reality it may be a tad slower.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:31   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineOil View Post
Jeez! Where in Mumbai was that? Must say the way the needle climbed upto 160 was neat! I'm sure you did it as safely as possible Can't imagine such adrenaline rushes bang in the city (and looks like daytime!).
Thats the Eastern-express Highway , the GODREJ stetch .... should have been around 7:30 a.m.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thats the Eastern-express Highway , the GODREJ stetch .... should have been around 7:30 a.m.
Hope such bursts are occasional. It is scary to touch those speeds in city roads as empty as it might have been.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:51   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Santro Auto doesnt go beyond 140 at all. Manual may be touching 160 speedo speed, in reality it may be a tad slower.
Completely agree, santro rattles after 130 and touching 160
Old 19th March 2008, 14:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Very well said GTO, every one has his own risk taking instincts and it holds true when you are driving, people say the Scorpio is a very bad car when it comes to handling.
Handling of Scorpio is bad. A good handling car should allow me to maintain the same speed while taking turns on highway. On Scorpio, I have to come down to 100 from 140 while taking turns.
Also, the passengers at the back gets pushed to sides if I maintain high speeds on turns. Whats the use of power if the car does not handle well on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post

Can't believe? Many of tbhians had gone beyond 150 kmph on santro. Search on the forum, especially top speed thread. I wont recommend you to try it on a santro as i did once but na dangerous thing to do on a santro, i wont go for it again unless its an emergency.
My santro was on two wheels when I tried to take a turn at a very high speed. I was lucky to escape without a topple. I was stupid. After that, I used to treat her gently while taking turns.

I doubt whether a stock santro would reach 160. On a straight line, maximum you would get is 150.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th March 2008 at 15:38.
Old 19th March 2008, 19:34   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Hope such bursts are occasional. It is scary to touch those speeds in city roads as empty as it might have been.
Absoloutely occasional ... SAFETY is the 1st priority
Old 19th March 2008, 19:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

Speedo Error

Santro i.e Stock Santro cannot touch 150kmph. Yes it can go upto 145-148 real speed. But not 150 and that too it cannot maintain that same 150 for a real long time because Santro's both 1.0 and 1.1 have strong bottom and mid range, but very feeble top end.

One more thing, 160 was on speedo, which are not perfect. Even 35lakh cars have errors upto 1-3%. Santro has huge speedo error. Generally B segment cars have some error, sometimes upto 8%.

Now the speed I had reported was about 170-175kmph, but in reality it was less than that. My reading were speedometer readings.
Old 19th March 2008, 20:24   #70
BHPian

Santro once goes beyond 110 becomes unstable, I have felt that. I have driven SX4 at 150, taken curves at that speed with ease in Chennai-Pondichery ECR road, handling is great.
Old 19th March 2008, 20:57   #71
BHPian

oh come on guys!! who is saying santro is stable at such speeds? It is just about santro going beyond 150 kmph. Remove Santro from this leage guys.!! and let us discuss on topic of good cruisers.
Old 19th March 2008, 22:53   #72
Senior - BHPian

I tried 140kmph few times with Aveo 1.6, it was solid, no excess noise, and was nice to drive - Breaks were sharp, and felt a better control!
Old 19th March 2008, 23:21   #73
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi cars are the best I have experienced in terms of handling.

Lancer/ Cedia are truly drivers cars and you can push them to the maximum on Indian highways. Perfect combination of ride and handling with exceptional build quality.
Old 20th March 2008, 10:13   #74
BHPian

On a straight road ( express highway), 3 cars overtook me- 1 was a CRV, another a Beamer 5 Series and 3rd a Superb- cant explain what a beautiful sight it was to see all these cars going at around 160+. Though when seen one by one perhaps it would have been difficult to say which had a better stance. But this was a treat to eyes and I was at the tail in verna and there I knew why Beamers are called such a premium luxury car. Skoda was a treat to eyes and Beamer at this speed in scuh composed manner was a feast.

Alas it lasted only for around 5 minutes - once out of tunnel, Beamer was out of sight and soon the Skoda also followed suit. CRV was not worth chasing anymore.

Last edited by shatrughna : 20th March 2008 at 10:14.
Old 20th March 2008, 11:29   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Mitsubishi cars are the best I have experienced in terms of handling.

Lancer/ Cedia are truly drivers cars and you can push them to the maximum on Indian highways. Perfect combination of ride and handling with exceptional build quality.
They are good handlers but i will anytime prefer my Elantra CRDi over Lancer/Cedia. I really felt Elantra's handling much better than Lancer. Ofcourse how can we forget Brakes in Elantra. ABS + EBD + BAS + 4 Discs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks