Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 23:39   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
1) Lovely post aaggoswami,

2) but i just differ with you on one point.
The Fabia is a premium car agreed, but its main customer is the one who wants to buy the fiesta, the city. The ones you mentioned are a part of its audience but a very small one. I would prove my point by stating that the no of Nov sales of Luxury cars was 336, so fabia should have sold atleast 300 ?

the point is the main customers (the ones who would buy the city, fiesta, verna) have lost trust in the Fabia and that has lead to its downfall.
1) Thanks!

2) May be you are right, but thats what I have seen in Vadodara that those who own one or two luxury cars ( Rs. 8-10 lakh + ) are more keen on Fabia as their city car. Thats why. And I drove one of the customer's Fabia. The diesel motor lead to a good speed, but was not with soul we have in Swift. It struggled to get good speed after 140 kmph, where the Wagon R started to fly. It gave a very serious fight that did lead to some ego bashing of Fabia owner.

And also you are correct that Fabia is trying to fight it out with Fiesta, City, Verna segment, and as we know the, the outcome is not in favour of Fabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post

1) There are more swifts on the road, and have been there for a longer time, the fabia hasn't even been here a year, so which customer survey did you have to compare the two ?

2) I bought a new Skoda Fabia when a Laura was affordable, but it was the usability and the fact that I need to park on small streets that chose what to buy. Everyone isn't drawn by money matters to a certain choice of car, I have many friends who own skodas for a very long time now, if driven well, they don't go to the workshop for anything, and cost almost the same to maintain, a fact that I am aware of, owning 2 Maruti cars and a Skoda right now. The Fabia may be expensive, but try to find out how much more is the Classic Fabia and the difference with a Swift Zxi, the difference isn't much for the same set of features and better build quality, Please do not compare the highest variant with the highest Variant, the swift will cost the same if you add all those things to it.

3) As I said earlier, I own all three, niether the Swift, nor the Wagon R can overtake a Fabia at highway speeds simply because the Fabia is at its best above 90 and the Swift is at its best below and at such speeds try braking with the Fabia and see the difference between the three, there is no Merit in the above statement.
1) I had clearly mentioned that I dont religiously + rigidly believe in these customer surveys. You can find this out in my other posts also.
But again if more Swift are on road, we must be getting a wider audience to pick rating so if Swift is such a poor product then it should have been at the lowest point, but that is not the case. This does not mean that Fabia is bad, just that results say something different.

2) I agree that Fabia is a good car, no doubt. Everything is very well designed, the space is excellent, but again it misses the soul. Swift is fun ( I liked the skitish nature ) and with wider tyres, the real swift chassis come to play and I like it. Fabia is too luxurious. Just like the NSX was over engineered, may be like that, but I did not like it. IMO, Fabia has to get the engines right. The present range is not sufficient to propel this car specially when compared with similarly priced competition. I felt that the car was trying very hard to show it is not being strained. There was a polished layer at high speed between me and motor. Just a view from my experience. Swift is different animal.

3) Nice. But I am talking about speed. Here I believe its upto the driver to push the limits of the car in which he is. You dont find it safe and confident to go above 90 in Swift, but that cannot be the same for me. The fact that I compared performance is because I felt the Fabia motor was strained at 150 kmph. It was not as effortless as it was at 100kmph. I expect the car costing Rs. 9 lakh to be more even at this pace. May be my expectations were high. About braking, I would like to say that braking feel is better than Baleno.

Without targeting any Fabia ( or Swift ) owner, I would like to say that I find that Fabia could be better for its price. There are positive points, but equally big negatives also. The engine range must be better. If we compare the petrol versions, then the Swift enters in a different league. I did not like the diesel version as, may be, I expected more. Its not about flat out drag racing between Fabia and/or Wagon R/Swift, but I wanted to highlight the weakest link here.

Each and every person has its own specific set of requirements from his automobile. On this forum itself people are satisfied with Palio, but we were not confident on Fiat so went in for Baleno. So its upto personal opinion. But I dont see any reason why such a high price could be asked for a not so perfect small car.

Lets bring in Getz diesel in discussion and things suddenly look different. Much more powerful engine, equally spacious, better A.S & S., again good ride quality and at a lower price and suddenly the Fabia looks even more overpriced.

PS : I just wanted to share my view that Fabia is horribly overpriced and for the same price, they can give better car, mainly in reference to engines.

No offense meant to anyone.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 24th December 2008 at 23:43.
Old 26th December 2008, 12:15   #122
BHPian

No offense to Fabia lovers or owners, but honestly i feel and i agree with some of you that Fabia is ridiculously priced, and seriously it is. For some people it may not be important as you get what you really like. I mean there are people like me who spent 1.15 lacs to buy a Bullet where as i can get Pulser in just 80k, so its all about liking. However there has to be something storng in the vehicle you choose, i would prefer to buy a Mini Cooper at 10Lakhs odd coz i know i am getting a 240bhp engine in that so it doesnt matter if people feel that it is just another hatch. But there is no such factor in Fabia. Skoda did not do any justice to Fabia by giving all the 3 engines and then pricing also doesnt justify.

Yet, Fabia is not comparable with any other hatch available in Indian market in terms of quality and build, plus features. With all due respect.

Last edited by throttleking : 26th December 2008 at 12:16.
Old 26th December 2008, 12:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
No offense to Fabia lovers or owners, but honestly i feel and i agree with some of you that Fabia is ridiculously priced, and seriously it is. For some people it may not be important as you get what you really like. I mean there are people like me who spent 1.15 lacs to buy a Bullet where as i can get Pulser in just 80k, so its all about liking. However there has to be something storng in the vehicle you choose, i would prefer to buy a Mini Cooper at 10Lakhs odd coz i know i am getting a 240bhp engine in that so it doesnt matter if people feel that it is just another hatch. But there is no such factor in Fabia. Skoda did not do any justice to Fabia by giving all the 3 engines and then pricing also doesnt justify.
Mini Cooper! Where is it available in India for 10 lakhs? I'd love to buy one!
Old 26th December 2008, 12:34   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Mini Cooper! Where is it available in India for 10 lakhs? I'd love to buy one!
At times you need to read between the lines

I guess he meant that he's ready to pay 10L for a Mini since he'd know that he'll get 240bhp. There is no apparent reason why someone shd pay close to 8L for a Fabia
Old 26th December 2008, 12:41   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post

I guess he meant that he's ready to pay 10L for a Mini since he'd know that he'll get 240bhp. There is no apparent reason why someone shd pay close to 8L for a Fabia
Yes but you dont get that car in India so whats the point? You can only buy what is available!
Old 26th December 2008, 12:41   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post

One liner or one worded posts are not allowed on t-bhp, but all i want say is Eeekjhaactly
Old 8th January 2009, 17:28   #127
BHPian

According to the Skoda India website, the Fabia now offers a DPF (diesel particulate filter) on its diesel engine, TPM (tyre pressure monitor), ESP (stability control), and side airbags. The downloadable brochure does not mention any of this. Is the website correct? Source: ?koda Auto - The new ?koda Fabia - Facts ?koda Auto - The new ?koda Fabia - Safety By the way, why does the cursed T-bhp software cram the post as close together as possible regardless of how I space it? It makes it more difficult to read.

Last edited by Dose : 8th January 2009 at 17:33.
Old 9th January 2009, 00:25   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
By the way, why does the cursed T-bhp software cram the post as close together as possible regardless of how I space it? It makes it more difficult to read.
Learn VB script.
TBHP has all features to format your post in the most efficient way.
Old 9th January 2009, 07:22   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Learn VB script.
TBHP has all features to format your post in the most efficient way.
Thanks. I realized that my NoScript program was blocking the vBulletin script. Now
it seems
fine.

Thanks.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:06   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
As I said earlier, I own all three, niether the Swift, nor the Wagon R can overtake a Fabia at highway speeds simply because the Fabia is at its best above 90 and the Swift is at its best below and at such speeds try braking with the Fabia and see the difference between the three, there is no Merit in the above statement.
Dude I am sure you love your car and its a refined product. But such sweeping statements that Swift can handle 90kmph to justify ones investment are not called for. Of course the crappy 165/80 JK's are not good at higher speeds... But any Swift with proper rubber (185/70/14 Potenza GIII or equilant) is quite stable and confident at speeds much higher than 90 kmph and is rock solid even at 150 kmph. 140 kmph is a breeze for this car. As far as not being able to overtake a Fabia on a highway, you are welcome to drive to Delhi and have a highway sprint against my Swift, I would put your false assumptions to rest.

I am not saying Swift is a great car, it does have its own sets of issues likeshoddy build quality and rattle etc. But as far as the chasis/suspension/engine is concerned its the best package for a hatch for a GOOD REASON!

Last edited by aseem : 9th January 2009 at 15:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks