Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 23:56   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Premier Automobiles Ltd - The Remembrances Thread

Anjan Sir, well said about the features of Economy model of Padmini.

The color is Pale Lilac. Here is a good example of Arun's 1991 Economy. Guess this has some extra fittings - Wheel cap and aluminum strips on the windshield beadings.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier Automobiles Ltd - The Remembrances Thread-11.jpg  

funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 07:12   #167
Senior - BHPian

I remember there was a price difference of nearly Rs 10K between the standard and economy model. My boss had one who used it for pretty 20 years. With a simple bumper swap the image used to change and lot of buyers and dealers alike did this just like done nowadays by many Lxi buyers who make it Vxi by some add-ons.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th April 2012 at 07:13.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:29   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
How did you make out its an Economy version? Just willing to learn since i never heard about Economy version, also the body beading( side strip ) seems to have been removed isn't it, since we can see the holes.

Bumpers dont look different to me, and the Grill looks very good indeed, also is this grill only for Economy version?
Body seems to be in good shape.

When was the Economy version launched and what was different in it than normal padmini?
Well Anjan sir pointed out nearly everything you needed to know. The grill was one of the better pattern one and really hard to find nowadays. Incidentally i came across one fitted on a to be scrapped PP S1 and got it for free as it was damaged from a couple of places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Lovely to see the Padmini Economy in pictures,though the car is starting to rot.

The Economy version was made available since around 1988, if I am not wrong. They made very few of these and advertised their sale with the lower price tag prominently, though for a limited period.It was sold at some Rs 60,000 odd.I will check out my old Indian Auto issues to post greater details here.
The car was then available in the Economy, Deluxe BE, Deluxe BU and Deluxe BU/AC versions.(BU for bucket seats in front).
The Economy version had body painted bumpers (cheaper option than chrome plating), coir foam seats (I may be corrected here),no ash trays on doors,a signature honey comb, black, plastic front grille, rubber bumper guards (only rubber and no chrome plated steel with rubber as in other versions), no chrome plated wheel discs but small plastic hub caps,rubber front and rear windscreen beading with no chrome strip as in other versions.
The dash was the same as only the Deluxe BU/AC had an AC.There was no question of any tachometer and other goodies like power windows and so on.
In 1989,the meter console was changed for the higher versions, that had a clock located to its left with the speedo to the right and warning lights at the centre. But the Economy version did not get this console and continued to be fitted with the old instrument.
These are some of the cosmetic differences but I would like to know about more such cosmetic treatments and the technical ones if any, from experts.
I am sure the Economy version was launched as the 800 was at its zenith, outdoing all other brands, sales wise.
Thanks a lot for sharing this invaluable information Anjan sir, you have mentioned each and every differentiating factor in detail.
I am not an expert, though IIRC apart from all the parts you mentioned, the Economy version came with a single speed wiper control with a fully straight wiper arm and a different Solex carburetor. It also didn't have any reverse lamps. (i have a doubt in this case though)

PS: Sir do share the information from your Auto magazine archives.

Last edited by samsag12 : 9th April 2012 at 12:33.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 14:21   #169
BANNED

I think the term remembrance may be a bit premature. Now they have come out with the Rio - and I did even see one on the road in Firozabad once!!
Old 9th April 2012, 14:57   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Economy version was made available since around 1988, if I am not wrong.
It was launched a few years before that.

Quote:
The car was then available in the Economy, Deluxe BE, Deluxe BU and Deluxe BU/AC versions.(BU for bucket seats in front).
Yes, and BE stood for Bench Seats in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think the term remembrance may be a bit premature. Now they have come out with the Rio - and I did even see one on the road in Firozabad once!!
They had also come out with Peugeot 309 and everyone knows what happened after that!

Cheers!

Last edited by directinjection : 9th April 2012 at 15:01.
Old 9th April 2012, 19:13   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Well Anjan sir pointed out nearly everything you needed to know. The grill was one of the better pattern one and really hard to find nowadays. Incidentally i came across one fitted on a to be scrapped PP S1 and got it for free as it was damaged from a couple of places.

Thanks a lot for sharing this invaluable information Anjan sir, you have mentioned each and every differentiating factor in detail.
I am not an expert, though IIRC apart from all the parts you mentioned, the Economy version came with a single speed wiper control with a fully straight wiper arm and a different Solex carburetor. It also didn't have any reverse lamps. (i have a doubt in this case though)

PS: Sir do share the information from your Auto magazine archives.
Very right samsag, the Economy variant did not have the reverse lamps. The ones seen on this cars featured here by sidindica and funkykar may be an aftermarket fitment. The information about the single wiper speed is news to me. Thanks. Another thing I can recollect is that these were not fitted with the amber-coloured side indicators on the front fenders like other Premiers. The parking lights in front and the taillights had indicators much like the older Ambassadors.
But its surprising that the car did not have any "Economy" badge on its body shell. The rear boot was where Premiers had the badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Anjan Sir, well said about the features of Economy model of Padmini. The color is Pale Lilac. Here is a good example of Arun's 1991 Economy. Guess this has some extra fittings - Wheel cap and aluminum strips on the windshield beadings.
True this is also an Economy version. Note the full rubber bumper guard here whereas the car featured by sidindica had metal + rubber bumper guards as in other versions, but again the metal there is in body colour.
All very economical features!

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th April 2012 at 11:36. Reason: quote tags fixed
Old 9th April 2012, 19:41   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If i am right, the current name of theirs is PREMIER LIMITED and not PAL.
BTW even i spotted a couple of them in Lucknow, seems there are a few takers for this so called compact SUV.

Quote:
Very right samsag, the Economy variant did not have the reverse lamps. The ones seen on this cars featured here by sidindica and funkykar may be an aftermarket fitment. The information about the single wiper speed is news to me. Thanks. Another thing I can recollect is that these were not fitted with the amber-coloured side indicators on the front fenders like other Premiers. The parking lights in front and the taillights had indicators much like the older Ambassadors.
But its surprising that the car did not have any "Economy" badge on its body shell. The rear boot was where Premiers had the badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Anjan Sir, well said about the features of Economy model of Padmini.

The color is Pale Lilac. Here is a good example of Arun's 1991 Economy. Guess this has some extra fittings - Wheel cap and aluminum strips on the windshield beadings.
True this is also an Economy version. Note the full rubber bumper guard here whereas the car featured by sidindica had metal + rubber bumper guards as in other versions, but again the metal there is in body colour.
All very economical features!
I guess as it was an Economy model it didn't have that badge and PAL tried to save on that too . You are right about the side repeaters on the fender, they came only in deluxe models.

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th April 2012 at 11:37.
Old 9th April 2012, 20:17   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The grill was one of the better pattern one and really hard to find nowadays.

It also didn't have any reverse lamps. (i have a doubt in this case though)
I wish we had that awesome looking grill in chrome, would surely be a eye candy.

I have seen few Padmini taxis in mumbai without reverse lamps, i thought it was done deliberately by taxi wallas.

i managed to sit in one of last Padminis to be produced by PAL , this was 4-5 years ago. It was a 2001 Padmini S1 Taxi so well maintained you would fall in love.I knew about the car from the driver itself, according to him this was the last batch of padminis to be sold.

This thread will be more special to me since its been only 2 weeks since i have parted with my padmini
The sheer joy of using the column mounted gear shift and looking down on those headlamp bulges from drivers seat will be missed.
She was a car which was my daily runner for 6 years,gave me stellar service in that duration.
She was my car at times when i could not afford buying a new car.

It was tough to take a decision and be part with that car , not only for me but everyone in my family.

Last edited by silverado : 9th April 2012 at 20:28.
Old 12th April 2012, 17:22   #174
BHPian

Quote:
It was tough to take a decision and be part with that car , not only for me but everyone in my family.
Why Why you had to sell such a lovely car? I think you are regretting you sale!
Old 14th April 2012, 16:55   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Why Why you had to sell such a lovely car? I think you are regretting you sale!
Yes you would feel that no doubt, but i knew the car in and out and also had it checked by someone who knows padmini in and out, took his advice ( Car was not worth restoring ) and decided to sell it.

Mind you she only had issues with her bodywork and some issue with waterpump, else she was fit.Had to drive her from pune to mumbai in order to sell it.No issues at all as was the case in last 6 years.

Got the news today, she has been scrapped, which i felt is the best thing to happen, did not ever want her to trouble anyone since getting bodywork done would have been very costly affair.

Last edited by silverado : 14th April 2012 at 17:00.
Old 14th April 2012, 19:16   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you would feel that no doubt, but i knew the car in and out and also had it checked by someone who knows padmini in and out, took his advice ( Car was not worth restoring ) and decided to sell it.

Mind you she only had issues with her bodywork and some issue with waterpump, else she was fit.Had to drive her from pune to mumbai in order to sell it.No issues at all as was the case in last 6 years.

Got the news today, she has been scrapped, which i felt is the best thing to happen, did not ever want her to trouble anyone since getting bodywork done would have been very costly affair.
No hard feelings but i think this post of yours is completely against what we (atleast i am trying to do) try to do with respect to the Fiats.
This is all i can say after reading your post as i don't want to spam this thread. Damn.

Last edited by samsag12 : 14th April 2012 at 19:17.
Old 15th April 2012, 02:13   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No hard feelings but i think this post of yours is completely against what we (atleast i am trying to do) try to do with respect to the Fiats.
This is all i can say after reading your post as i don't want to spam this thread. Damn.
However strong we feel about our cars, but time comes when you have to think practically.
She was my first car, she taught me ABC of driving , joy of owning a automobile, she gave me everything i asked her of.
I felt i am being selfish to dispose her off when she is not in good condition, not caring for her, but i had to do it and it hurt.

I never ever wanted to sell my Padmini, but i had to take this decision.
I did not exchange it the day i bought Nano, since i never wanted to let her go.

It was failure on my part that my Padmini deteriorated , after which it became difficult to maintain her.

I am not giving an excuse, but after shifting to Pune maintaining her became more challenging.In mumbai it was easy since i had EASY access to everything.

Most importantly i had abundant covered parking space.

I am staying in a rented place in pune and parking 2 cars was not to everyone's liking, and after Nano came in my life, Padmini was rarely used.

Petrol prices shooting , meant the use got rarer and rarer.
Still there was a dream inspired by other bhpians, to bring her to Full glory one day, but i realised it would take some time.

So the next best thing i decided was to sell it to a someone who was interested in buying a Padmini, but looking at the condition of body, he advised me to dispose it, and i took his advice.

I took his advice since he is a respected person in automobile circles.

Last edited by silverado : 15th April 2012 at 02:23.
Old 19th April 2012, 21:10   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more remembrances of PAL through a link and some pictures.
The Premier Automobiles Ltd - The Remembrances Thread-padminieconomy.jpg
The car with a MRH 2522 number plate is a Padmini of the 1970's. The body shell has been replaced with a new one of the Padmini Economy (body coloured bumpers) it appears. The front windows sans the quarter glasses prove the point that the body shell is post November 1987. But I remember having seen this picture earlier.
The Premier Automobiles Ltd - The Remembrances Thread-premierpadminitaxisparkedinmumbai2.jpg
A galaxy of Premier taxis
(pictures from google images)
A link for more PAL information:
Italian Trade Commission India | Videos
(Mods may please delete if this has already been shared)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th April 2012 at 21:12.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 21:34   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some more remembrances of PAL through a link and some pictures.
Attachment 917872
If my memory serves me right this car has completely collapsed now.

Raab rakha.
Old 19th April 2012, 22:11   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
If my memory serves me right this car has completely collapsed now.

Raab rakha.
Collapsed now, in that picture itself it seems to be holding only because of that roof carrier and glasses BTW Do you have any latest pics of this car or may i say remains.

Off Topic: Your new avatar is truly fab.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks