Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does your SX4 rattle ?
Absolutely no rattles at all. 42 31.34%
Just one or two rattles - nothing serious. 49 36.57%
Quite some rattles - irritating and cannot be ignored. 25 18.66%
The whole damn car rattles. 18 13.43%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 17:05   #91
BHPian

My SX4 has done 70396 kms till date, no major squeaks and rattles till date. The OE tyres are another story, nearing the end of life create quite a racket though .

best regards

Vaseem
Old 21st December 2010, 15:57   #92
BHPian

Re: Does your SX4 rattle ?

70K and you didn't change tyres!!. What brand are those? They lasted pretty well.

Murthy
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:38   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
What brand are those?
Suicide Tyre Brand.

Jokes apart, and even if there is tread left, tyres should be changed no later than 40,000 kms. Some people push it and get away with 50K. Fact is, the grippy rubber has severely deteriorated by 40,000 kms (even that's the upper limit). Not only will your car suffer from poor grip, the ride quality will be stiffer too. And bad rubber means increased chance of tyre blowout at speed.
Old 22nd December 2010, 17:00   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Suicide Tyre Brand.

Jokes apart, and even if there is tread left, tyres should be changed no later than 40,000 kms. Some people push it and get away with 50K. Fact is, the grippy rubber has severely deteriorated by 40,000 kms (even that's the upper limit). Not only will your car suffer from poor grip, the ride quality will be stiffer too. And bad rubber means increased chance of tyre blowout at speed.
GTO -> Nice tyre brands

are we running a similar thread also...
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Suicide Tyre Brand.

Have changed the tyres again to the "suicidal type" V rated tyres @ 73K Kms. ( OE is H rated )

FYI the car is 30 months old, no uneven tread wear, still 5-10k left on the old set of tyres.

On the last trip to goa, managed a top speed of 181 kmph as per GPS, 3 adults, 2 kids with boot packed with stuff for 5 days & the tyres did extremely well.

so i dont see why i need to change @ 40k kms.

best regards

Vaseem
Old 23rd December 2010, 06:23   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
Also once going over speed bumps at 10-15 kmph the front suspension makes some sound.
This happened to me also. This is because the mud guard is touching the hump. Once I understand the art of releasing the clutch, this problem went away. Just check the bottom of your mud guard and see there are scratches or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
My Sx4 zxi has done just 150kms. There is an annoying rattling on uneven roads from somewhere on dashboard.
Do you have reverse gear sensor? If yes, they usually fix the sensor output display on dash board corner and sometime that created problem in my case. Otherwise i never had any rattling issue.
Regards,
Sarin

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd December 2010 at 13:35. Reason: Back to back posts within 20mins. Please use edit button if posting again within 20 mins. Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:17   #97
BHPian

This poll should be closed, deleted perhaps, as its' nothing more than nonsense.

Why?

The breakdown of 14 votes for "Everything rattles" is as follows:

No record of any Maruti ownership:
forbhaskarm
khanak
lohithrao
rkparur
sabsubs
sanagg1

Owners of Swift/Other Maruti cars who voted:
anshurao
aseem
driving_smartly
shamanth
tinnieboy
Trust_In_Thrust
tushky
vicky_ch

This after being made clear by the pollster on who should take the poll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For data correctness sake, it would be better if the poll is taken only by those that own the SX4. And if it does rattle, it would be useful to give a brief summary of where exactly the ratling comes from.
Fornax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 07:49   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Suicide Tyre Brand.

Lol, but my Safari's run 60k and the thread still fine for another 10k easily. Do you think I should change the tyres or is the suicide brands for sedans only?
The ride quality/braking has seen a dip lately for sure.
Old 27th December 2010, 08:30   #99
Senior - BHPian

Although I have driven SX4 earlier they were all very short drive and were insufficient to make a clear opinion on many things. But I recently drove my colleagues 2008 SX4 Zxi for over 300 kms non stop. The ride was a bit harsh could be due to the tyres. I was very comfortable and could easily manage some good speeds even through some rough patches. The handling was predictable and I did feel a little body roll.
Now coming to main purpose of this thread "rattles". No there was absolutely no rattles in the car even on some very bad patches.

IMHO such threads targeted at a particular car of a particular brand always create a biased view from people who own it and people who do not like it. This thread is not creating any more value as it is focusing on one single car.

If this continues maybe we have to start threads like

Does your *brand* car left you stranded on the highway?
How many unscheduled visits have you made after buying *brand* car?
Does your *brand* car leaves a deep hole in the pocket at every service?
What is the lead time in getting your *brand* car fixed after it has let you down?
Old 27th December 2010, 09:36   #100
BHPian

SX4 is definitely a VFM car. If those who don't own it are commenting negatively about it, it reminds me of sour grapes story.

Murthy
Old 5th January 2011, 14:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

@GTO
Quote:
And bad rubber means increased chance of tyre blowout at speed
Very scary thought. My cars running at around 38K and I am yet to change tyres. For the same thought above i am not even pushing the car beyond 100 in even open roads. Its not that i want to stretch it to 50K but for various reasons putting off on the 20K purchase. Car has decent treads and still i am playing it very safe. Better safe than sorry
Old 1st May 2011, 23:18   #102
BHPian

Very late to this thread, but this is 2.5 years feedback.

Before that please make a note of following upgrades to my car
A. Sun Roof webasto 300 was installed
B. ICE installed - Rockford Fosgate Prime and Dynamat Damping on 4 doors
C. Shoes upgraded to Michelin Primacy LC (Green X)
D. Air Filter - K&N Stock replacement
E. All lubes and oils are fully synthetic.
F. Reverse parking sensor (RPS) installed

Observations as on 2.5 years and running
1. Dashboard squeaks on colder weather while crossing breakers.
2. RHS Quarter glass/A-pillar panel is an inconsistent fit. This is after RPS fitment
3. There were some squeaks from door immediately after ICE upgrade. Then I applied "Dynamat" on all 4 doors and packed resonating parts with cell foam. Since then no noise on all doors and there's a placebo effect of nicer sounding thud while closing doors.
4.After changing to Michelin's Primacy LC GreenX, suspension noise is very clearly audible inside. Very poor damping by maruti. I think J K tyres hide these SFX.
5. Steering column makes a kat-kat noise and feels like a Go-kart type of direct connection while passing the breakers.
6. Exhaust tip vibrates on idling.
7. Reverse parking sensor overlay mirror (on top of Rear view mirror) vibrates on idling
8. Gear stick can be felt for vibration on grapsing by the fist.
9. Wiper assembly rattles on idling.
10. Gear lever's leather stitching at bottom has given away.
11. Sunroof retraction bar vibrates. It needs foam packing (this is not maruti stuff)
12. Gear lever's labels have eroded.
13. Vibrations have increased in the cabin at idling but the engine is still very silent.
14. Beyond 2000+ RPMS engine noise in cabin increases linearly. When the tyres were stock, engine noise was no so clear ;-)
15. Beyond idling the vibrations are evry much well controlled. Engine is smooth.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:49   #103
BHPian

I have not experienced any sort of rattles in my 10 months old Sx4. I am not sure but is rattling being referred vibration of some parts when the car is idle? If this is the case then there is no such rattling in my car. I have observed it while driving bumper to bumper as well as driving on highways. If rattling is something different please let me know
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:48   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I am not sure but is rattling being referred vibration of some parts when the car is idle? If this is the case then there is no such rattling in my car. I have observed it while driving bumper to bumper as well as driving on highways. If rattling is something different please let me know
Rattling is an irritating noise caused due to vibration of loosely fit body parts (or bad choice of materials) - The parts could be rubbing against some another body part.
Simple example is dashboard glove - if u remove the rubber stoppers, the whole glove will "rattle" against the dashboard.
A rattling gives you a feel that everything will fall apart if you continue driving like that for some time. It is indicative of build quality or, a bad choice of material or, bad servicing (nuts not adjusted as per recommended torque) or, aging (like wrinkles on face).
If engine vibrations are not properly damped, even on idling you will hear them, otherwise the best place to test for rattling is to drive at moderate speed on a gravel road.
Smooth highways and city traffic is "not" the best place to discover rattling. but i'm not suggesting you to run into a pothole Sometimes bad terrains keep on torturing the fitments and introduce rattles.

other types of audible disturbances are squeaks. Usually proper greasing and adjustment takes care of these devils. To discover squeaks, force has to be applied on that area (like seat cushion, door hinges). They do not have much to do with vehicle's movement.

All this is NVH science too beyond my domain knowledge. There are good threads that have useful topics on NVH and rattling.
Old 24th June 2011, 18:53   #105
BHPian

Have had one for over two months, and been on a long drive Goa to Pune, Lonavla, Matheran and Mumbai, over 3K kms logged to date. Not a rattle so far. BTW the car is almost stock, only changed the tyres to Yokohama ES501 and installed rear parking sensors.

Sadly, I see that a lot of persons who do not own an SX4 seem to be voting on this, unlike the ground rules posted in the first post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks