Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 02:00   #46
BHPian

hmm lets play the wait and watch game...
Old 16th June 2008, 08:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
If it's another Amby from HM,there is nothing to be ashamed off.Ambassador was and is the most mIndianised car ever built.It may have it's own fads,but is that not which gives a vehicle character and endears it,atleast ,to true blue automotive lovers?Flawless perfomance,impeccable paintwork,electronic gizmos-it makes a reliable and practical car but not the car you love with your heart.The occassional oil leaks,wayside repairs,endless hours that you spend in diognising a noise from the underbody,that clearly audible engine noise inside the cabin-aren't these things which gives the car an identity of it's own?
On the contrary, its the heart that wants to see it evolve (bolstered by all that you have written regarding paying attention to every little detail). The head does not support it anymore.
Old 16th June 2008, 15:47   #48
BHPian

Hello amigos!

Sorry to dissapoint u all with this news, but HM is ACTUALLY launching the Ambi again!

here is the source of my information:
Ambassador is back with a new look! - Business News - News - MSN India - News
Old 16th June 2008, 16:33   #49
BHPian

lol, May be new ambi having new look. lets wait for prototype.
Old 17th June 2008, 09:37   #50
BHPian

Is Durga puja soon enough? The news item says thats when we get to see the prototype.

BH.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

maybe with the headlamps like what Ferraris have.

Hope they dont mess the looks part and a good engine.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hello amigos!

Sorry to dissapoint u all with this news, but HM is ACTUALLY launching the Ambi again!

here is the source of my information:
Ambassador is back with a new look! - Business News - News - MSN India - News
In the article they have mentioned that some work is done by partner. This looks like a revived original lancer.
Quote:
Ambassador is back with a new look!

Kolkata: The country's first automobile manufacturer and flagship company of the CK Birla group, Hindustan Motors, was all set to launch a new model from its Uttarpara facility in October this year.

The technology used for the car will be partly in-house and partly from a partner, said Ravi Santhanam, managing director of Hindustan Motors Ltd (HML).

He refused to give out further details. The prototype of the car, to launched before the Durga Puja, was ready. HM had to introduce new models as a part of its growth strategy, Santhanam said.

The other major engine of growth in the coming years would be the auto components business, he added. HML invested around one-third of its net projected outlay of around Rs 100 crore for modernisation of its auto components facility at Uttarpara.

Within a year's time, the entire manufacturing process would be upgraded, he added. Currently, the company manufactured around 200 different types of forgings together with over 300 types of stampings and more than six types of castings to almost all the major automotive original equipment manufacturers in the country. It had three new auto component brands, Autocast, Autostamp and Autoforge.

When asked if HM was looking at supplying components to the Tata Motors small car plant in Singur, Moloy Chowdhury, executive vice-president of HML, said options were open and dialogue was on. HM launched its exchange scheme to buy back old Ambassador taxis plying in Kolkata against new Ambassador Grand BS-III compliant cabs offering mileage of 16 kilometre per litre (kmpl) as against 11kmpl of the old ambassador.

Source: Business Standard

Link: Ambassador is back with a new look! - Business News - News - MSN India - News
Old 18th June 2008, 00:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

I didn't see, that it is the new Amby, anywhere in the article except for the title.
I think that is just the imagination of the writer or is it mine
Old 25th June 2008, 18:49   #54
BHPian

Update - not 1 but 3 models

I was at the metro motors service centre in Mahape, Navi mumbai getting some work done done on my car yesterday.
I was talking with the service advisor on how bad HM - mitsu have been in promoting their cars. I told him that I had heard HM is launching a new car soon.

He said Yes not 1 new car but 3 new cars. He has seen photos of the car on some HM sales guy's laptop.

One out of this is Outlander - which is pretty much old news.

Two - A new lancer called _____ ( he didnt recall the name but more like a rebranding of a lancer something similar to Lancer Cedia.) I asked him do you know whats so special. he said the car looks really nice much much better than the cedia and looks modern. ( my guess is possibly a Evo VII or a better Evo) Most importantly he said that this is going to have a new 2.0L engine. Did anyone hear MIVEC.
I asked him if it was a Mivec but he probably wasn't aware of more details.

Three - and the most importantant.
The new car that is being built by HM specifically for the indian market is a small car which would fit in between the Santro - Swift bracket and named ELECTRA. no more details were given but it is a nice cute hatchback and with Mitsu behind the car means it will surely be a nice handling machine.

Guys do we already know of available cars from mitsu that fits the above description apart from the colt????

Bring it on guys

DISCLAIMER : The source of the above information is the HM - Mitsu Service advisor. which makes him a pretty good source however we might have to wait and watch or get the spy glasses out..
Old 25th June 2008, 21:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Thats a great news. So, one more car to add to the confusions of the hatch buyers

Btw, I just saw this link AutoCrust: Mitsubishi i MiEV Electric car in India by 2010 in the net about the electirc car. It alsi says that Govt has made 0% excise for electric cars. Is it true?

They predict this car to be available around 8Lacs. Great news if its really hitting @ that price.
Old 25th June 2008, 21:53   #56
BHPian

HM will sure keep the mileage factor n high fuel prices in mind. if its gotta b a winner it has to be sedan wit CNG capability. somehow feel its gonna be a conty chassis wit a new body. don't think HM will gamble in competitive MUV segment.
Old 25th June 2008, 22:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post

Two - A new lancer called _____ ( he didnt recall the name but more like a rebranding of a lancer something similar to Lancer Cedia.) I asked him do you know whats so special. he said the car looks really nice much much better than the cedia and looks modern. ( my guess is possibly a Evo VII or a better Evo) Most importantly he said that this is going to have a new 2.0L engine. Did anyone hear MIVEC.
I asked him if it was a Mivec but he probably wasn't aware of more details.
Is it the LANCER GALANT or something? evo 10 look alike with 150bhp petrol engine and 140bhp diesel?
Old 26th June 2008, 10:23   #58
BHPian

i didn't see the pics. the service advisor did. and wasnt too great in describing things.

i just hope that mitsu-HM after concentrating on start to make the sales service netwrok better are now up for more option in cars.

I too somehow have the gut feeling that it might be the galant. Saw a newer model in amsterdam a few weeks ago and it did look killer.
would be interesting to see what engine options we get apart from the 2.0L petrol
Old 14th September 2008, 23:14   #59
BHPian

Sorry to disagree out and out, though late it may be. Sometimes the HEART will have to rule the HEAD.That's why a Rolls Silver ghost still lives while a ferrari goes to oblivion. That's why those rusted vintage cars are painfully restored. That's why such long threads get started in this forum about snorkels and differentials when you could buy a factory fitted offroader with all this goodies.
You have every right to extoll the virtue of each mordern car. But a classic too may have it's own place, maybe in the corner.
Old 15th September 2008, 14:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Learning to drive in an Ambassador is good. If you can learn to use the steering with all the strength it takes to use it, and drive it, I bet you can drive any vehicle. I learnt the driving in an Ambassador and now I do not need the power steering for any 4 - wheeler.

Also, I bet you will not get that sort visibility for the driver in any of the cars that are on road now. Only Sumo and Bolero come closer.

As for the impending new vehicle launch, low expectations as reflected in the forum may do good for the HM as not many expect a really good product from it.

I have a weird vision of seeing a boot chopped Ambassador as the new car, Hahahaha.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks