Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 14:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Something tells me that we really shouldn't be looking forward to this cars launch. This is what happened the last time they attempted to "on its own develop a car".

Attachment 20616

Attachment 20617[/quote]

The HORRENDOUS "trekker", please don't subject us to torture GTO !!! I am sure this time around "IF" they launch an inhouse designed product, it'd be something more palateable (I hope & pray)

Of course the Ambassador is still welcome, as long as it is not crystal studded with brocade seats "Manish Arora inspired design".

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 15th September 2008 at 14:46.
Old 15th September 2008, 14:40   #62
BHPian

It looks HM has got tons of black money to invest on unsuccessful products. Its been more than 10 years HM's ambi has lost its market. HM never developed even a single engine. If I am not wrong, HM always got the engine from Isuzu.
The management is not working at all to regain its image. I believe Mitsubishi might also be repending, why they choose HM for their country partner
Old 15th September 2008, 14:59   #63
Team-BHP Support

HM has no vision. While the made the Amby, they could have also made the original Mini under licence. It was made by the BMC (which also made the Morris Oxford). Imagine what an impact that car would have made in the 70s - small, light and cheap.
HM had seen the success of the little Marutis, so, they knew that good small cars sell in India. When they tied up with Mitsubishi, they could have had a look at the Minica - another small and reliable city car. Instead they stuck to a mid-sizer and an old SUV.
HM's going nowhere. Don't have any expectations.
Old 15th September 2008, 15:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Last thing I heard was, HM is launching an Commercial vehicle in October.

Now that makes me wonder if they have an passenger car launch or don't!
Old 30th November 2008, 14:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Now the launch is supposed to happen in December! Not sure if we should trust this but it gives us a chance to have some more discussion and bash HM nevertheless

Link - Hindustan Motors to launch a new Model in December | Vicky blog | Indian Automobile blog
Old 30th November 2008, 17:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Update:

Now the launch is supposed to happen in December! Not sure if we should trust this but it gives us a chance to have some more discussion and bash HM nevertheless

Link - Hindustan Motors to launch a new Model in December | Vicky blog | Indian Automobile blog
HM can launch an Amby facelift or something like that. Certainly not something totally new because the development efforts will not be worth it. It will be a disaster in the current slump. But pricing is something that they should look into if they are serious. They should pitch it against the Indica taxi market. After all there is an image and constraints that they cannot overcome so fast.
Old 30th November 2008, 18:07   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

That's something new from HM.Lets see what it exactly it is on a totally new platform.And a website says "its the greatest launch since the Contessa!"
As such HM is presently outside the orbit of a new car buyers thinking unless he is a taxi operator, the govt or a small to very big politician. Or else he or she must be a true blue HM or Mitsubishi fan.
Hence apart from the Pajero no other product is quite as considered by any new buyer.
Hope the new launch will do something for HM to prop up its image.
Old 30th November 2008, 18:15   #68
BHPian

''its the greatest launch since the contessa'' sounds like something great,i think we can expect some improvement by HM
Old 1st December 2008, 16:11   #69
BHPian

I am very eager to see how the new car developed by HM looks like?? Kolkata fellas..any update??
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:51   #70
BHPian

On the expected lines of HM..they are not launching a new car or a new SUV..but a new mini truck!!!!

I think we all (atleast some of the forum members) were thinking that finally HM has woken up and would launch some new exciting product..anyhow kudos to them for constantly sleeping over year after year..

Just read in another auto website -

Hindustan Motors to launch mini truck

December 2nd, 2008
You love to know things first, we love to bring them faster. As we have been constantly telling you Hindustan Motors will launch a new model. The model is built on a new platform but don’t expect anything on the lines of Ambassador or Contessa. The new model is a LCV (Light Commercial Vehicle) or a mini truck similar to Tata Ace and Piaggio ape truk. Sources telling us that the Hindustan Motors new LCV or mini truck will be of slightly bigger capacity one than the Ace. After the successful Ace, many manufacturers followed it. Soon came out the Piaggio ape truk, Force Motors M4 and AMW’s one .Bajaj and TVS had expressed their intent to foray into the robustly growing mini truck segment.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd December 2008 at 07:50.
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:39   #71
BHPian

Hindustan Motors’ upcoming model is a Commercial Vehicle- Might be named Sumatra

Hello Folks-Here's something interesting

I got this update- The upcoming HM vehicle is not a small car or a SUV. It isn't a car after all!

Note- The following information is given to us by a source close to HM. We do not guarantee that it’s all facts- This is only a speculation-

Hindustan Motors has been making all feasible noise with it’s upcoming model, which it claims to be an indigenous product with barely design inputs from others.

It turns out to be that the vehicle they have been formulating all this buzz with is a Light Commercial Vehicle, which could possibly be christened ‘Sumatra’

The Sumatra will be a Mini-truck that will don an entirely new Chassis. It will be powered by a 4-cylinder 1500cc engine that will coax out 37.5 HP 8.15 Kgm of torque, that’s doing duties on the HM Trekker or 35.5 bhp and 7.44 kgm of torque- you guessed it- borrowed from the good old Ambassador. The 5-Speed gearbox paired to the engine will also come from the Amby.

The Sumatra will look just like it’s main competitor, the Tata Ace with a Driver + 1 cabin seating. The difference will be it’s ability to haul loads of taller capacity- close to 1.5 tonnes, we’re told by our source. The engine will be mounted up-front with the drive going to the rear wheels.
The vehicle will be revealed by the company in a few days time, which will come in to the market in the first week of January.

We can safely predict it’s all-round leaf spring suspension setup and drum brakes. The price, according to the source will be much lesser than the Tata Ace.

IAB Comment- The Sumatra will be capable of hauling two times the Ace’s load, while costing lesser than the the Tata Ace, which presently is the king of that segment. So much for all the buzz. How disappointing.

Source- Hindustan Motors' upcoming model is a Commercial Vehicle- Might be named Sumatra | Indian Autos blog
Old 3rd December 2008, 00:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Okay, HM has launched something at last!! But alas! what a dampner. They have supposedly launched the country's first 'Chinese' mini truck.

Here's the link: HM rolls out first 'Chinese' mini-truck in India
Old 3rd December 2008, 01:54   #73
BHPian

HM has completly missed the bus. Contessa and Ambi were two models that would have helped them be in the thick of things even now.

Contessa was my favourite till the Indian car scene exploded, with lies of 1000 and Cielos. If contessa was properly updated it would have been still sought after by the market.

I simply dont understand the business logic HM is following.
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:47   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustshrawan View Post
is a Light Commercial Vehicle, which could possibly be christened ‘Sumatra’
They named it the "Winner". Obviously the G was replaced by a second N. The vehicle has a W sign in its grille. All this after the RTV had tremendous potential.

Last edited by 1100D : 3rd December 2008 at 11:49.
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

Here is the pic from launch and second pic is from shifeng site,the truck looks some what like this...
Attached Thumbnails
HM to launch a new model in October-winner.jpg  

HM to launch a new model in October-pro_img_aa4037564a6840bab5f6050c834b9444.jpg  

Most Viewed