Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2006, 18:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

I faced a similar situation at a HP and IOC pump, they try to distracat your attention and sometimes they don't reset it once somebody has dilled for around 50Rs.
Old 16th May 2006, 18:24   #32
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I fill up at BP pump in front of IBM office on Bannerghatta road. Their petrol is supposedly good, but they have tried cheating once. The usual stop in the middle and continue again business. I said full tank, but they stopped at 26 lts. Then I said no, I want full tank. Then he put four more when it got full. I wanted the bill, which came to 34 litres. The billing guy told it was 30 & 4 more. I said no, it was 26 and 4 more. There was no more argument, the moment he saw me fighting back, he conceded it to be 30 lt.

Never sit in driver's seat while fueling up. Get down, lock the car and stand next to the fuel pump with a hawkish look. Then they don't try their usual tricks.
Even when you get down and stand next to the fuel pump you can get cheated. The standard trick, to which I have fallen prey several times, at both HP and Bharat Petroleum bunks, is that one guy will distract you with all kinds of questions (credit card payment? cash? petrocard? etc., etc.) and then the other guy will start the pump before you can check the zero. When you look, the reading is already 2 lits plus, and when you check your fuel gauge, you can see that these guys have cheated, but can't do much about it. What a lousy and disgusting bunch of cheats.

Regards. rks
Old 16th May 2006, 18:35   #33

Different Con experiences at Pumps

1. Bombay Taximens Union Pump near Portuguese Church at Dadar - I asked for Rs. 1000/- worth Fuel and he filler er up. As usual i dont check much - Besides it was old types Fuel meter. My tank should have been more than half full however after I left the pump and was at bandra I realised I had been conned. The needle was showing quarter tank. Since it was late night I decided to forget it. However next day I spoke to my wife about it and she was whats wrong in trying to call up and ask. You know women they cant let go !! I checked the bill and there was tel. no. I soon as I called and before i cud finish my sentence the person at the other end already apologised and agreed and said that I come anytime collect the remaining fuel. Gosh I was delighted as to 'not having been cheated' Whats amazing is that this person was not even the same guy who was on night duty, it was the next shift. He said that the night duty guy had already told him about this mistake so I can come anytime and collect either the cash or the fuel.
2. Pune - BP Pump - I asked for Ordinary Fuel and the attedant said ok and picked up the Speed Spout. Thankfully I was watching (usually I dont) and told him whats this ? I asked for regular Fuel. he said they dont stock regular fuel and they had only Speed and Speed 97. I left without filling. If I wasnt watching he woudl have definately filled er up without asking me. What are these attendents trained to do ? Make a fool out of customers ? Its so strange.
3. BP petrol Pump aat Bandra(W), linking road - I asked for Speed and as usual wasnt watching. I always fill worth Rs. 1500 and know the needle's position. However this time, after I left I realised it wasnt showing full just 3/4 tank. I took out the bill and to my horror it showed Speed 97. Whats with these people yaar. Do Speed and Speed 97 sound the same ? I am gonna give a piece of mind now the next time I visit that place. It makes me so . . . mad at them. Such huge establishements and they have unethical ways. What to they expect from us ?
Old 16th May 2006, 18:36   #34
BHPian

I feel there are two main issues

1.Related to the meter reading.
This can be averted by staying alert while re-filling.

2.Adulterated fuel.
For this,One needs to possess data on the quality of the fuel which appears im-practical.A better way would be to rely on experience(from others,word of mouth,Mileage achieved etc.)

Also,I think that the company(brand - HP,IOC,BP etc) doesn't matter much as the company guys have to adhere to the quality standard norms....Its the staff which is playing naughty! hence the diverse responses for all brands!
Old 16th May 2006, 18:53   #35
BHPian

I always fill at Shell Pump on Mallaya Road and the best thing is everytime the attendant asks me check the meter for zero and also everytime he confirms the amout or liter which has to be put. I think Shell are a better managed than the others.
Old 16th May 2006, 18:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Yes, till some agency steps in to check these frauds (or better, till the day we get self-operated dispensers), the onus is on us to be alert. Some tips that I use :
1. Always use the newer pumps where you can specify the amount of fuel or money. Calibration of quantity would be better on these ones and chances of tampering less.
2. Do not be distracted from the meter while fuelling. Here in Chennai,they try lots of things - like asking for the cash / card, trying to sell polishing liquids etc. I do not even look at them, let alone reply, till the fuelling is complete.
3. Ask him (FIRMLY, if required) to fuel it in auto-stop mode and to remove his hands from the nozzle.
This is because what I have noticed is that if you ask to fuel for Rs1000, he will initially fill normally and then when it reaches Rs700 or so, he will (without any reason) stop the flow and restart. I am not sure how this reduces the amount of fuel put into the tank, but I am pretty sure that it does. Otherwise why unnecessarily cut and start the flow when it is set to automatically stop on reaching Rs.1000/- ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th May 2006 at 19:01.
Old 16th May 2006, 19:08   #37
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Yes, till some agency steps in to check these frauds (or better, till the day we get self-operated dispensers), the onus is on us to be alert. Some tips that I use :
1. Always use the newer pumps where you can specify the amount of fuel or money. Calibration of quantity would be better on these ones and chances of tampering less.
2. Do not be distracted from the meter while fuelling. Here in Chennai,they try lots of things - like asking for the cash / card, trying to sell polishing liquids etc. I do not even look at them, let alone reply, till the fuelling is complete.
3. Ask him (FIRMLY, if required) to fuel it in auto-stop mode and to remove his hands from the nozzle.
This is because what I have noticed is that if you ask to fuel for Rs1000, he will initially fill normally and then when it reaches Rs700 or so, he will (without any reason) stop the flow and restart. I am not sure how this reduces the amount of fuel put into the tank, but I am pretty sure that it does. Otherwise why unnecessarily cut and start the flow when it is set to automatically stop on reaching Rs.1000/- ?
I have noticed that too. When I ask them why they stop and start, they reply that the tank is nearly full and the pump automatically stops. I have to check this out more carefully next time. Thanks for the tip.

Regards, rks
Old 16th May 2006, 19:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I have noticed that too. When I ask them why they stop and start, they reply that the tank is nearly full and the pump automatically stops. I have to check this out more carefully next time. Thanks for the tip.

Regards, rks
I always visit the fuel tank on Sunday night (around 9PM) for fuel and air. During this time, there will not be many vehicles and I always ask for tank full with auto stop. When it stops automatically, I stop them to add fuel manually. And I always stay alert.

From last 6 months I am filling the fuel from IOC on RV Road (next to Vijaya college) and so far not faced any issues.

Last edited by Selective : 16th May 2006 at 19:36.
Old 16th May 2006, 19:45   #39
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective
I always visit the fuel tank on Sunday night (around 9PM) for fuel and air. During this time, there will not be many vehicles and I always ask for tank full with auto stop. When it stops automatically, I stop them to add fuel manually. And I always stay alert.

From last 6 months I am filling the fuel from IOC on RV Road (next to Vijaya college) and so far not faced any issues.
You are saying that once it has auto-stopped, you prevent them from re-starting. Good idea. One thing that bothers me with full tank is that the fuel gauge indicator goes to its limit. Will this spoil the gauge? I find that my fuel gauge is not too accurate these days, but I am afraid to tell the service guys to tamper with it as they might spoil it further.

Regards, rks
Old 16th May 2006, 19:54   #40
BHPian

For a change lets talk about good Bunks.

I have found a relatively new IBP bunk at !st Main Road, Seshadripuram, Bangalore thats really good. they are down right honest and upright. The management is of the no non-sense type and are very strict with their staff. The problem is you don't get premium fuels here.

Another thing I have noticed is that they don't serve the Taxi cab family and Govt vehicles. Spoke to the owner and he says he does not want any hanky panky business. Give it a try.

God bless.
Old 16th May 2006, 19:54   #41
BHPian

M Power- No need to be a chemical enginner
You wanna check adulteration here's a very simple test-
Only a little homework required first

Keep some light coloured Blotting paper with you
At the pump that you suspect, drop a few drop of fuel onto the blotting paper
Let it dry (doesnt take much time)
When you drop the petrol on it, it will naturally spread and form a circle
If its clesn fuel- there will be one unifornly coloured circle
If its adulterated then there will be two concentric circles-
What you will see is one large circle and somehwere in that circle will be another faint circle the moment you see that Its adulterated

If you want check it our my mixing a few drops of petrol & kerosoene and try it out
Cheers
Old 16th May 2006, 20:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
You are saying that once it has auto-stopped, you prevent them from re-starting. Good idea. One thing that bothers me with full tank is that the fuel gauge indicator goes to its limit. Will this spoil the gauge? I find that my fuel gauge is not too accurate these days, but I am afraid to tell the service guys to tamper with it as they might spoil it further.

Regards, rks
Yes, I always fill the fuel till auto-stop. And as I mentioned, I fill the fuel from the same fuel station and that too from the same fuel machine (whatever it is called), I get almost accurate FE figures too. So there is less chances of error. And if I am not wrong, many TBHPians follow this method.

I dont think the fuel gauge will be spoiled because one fills the full tank of fuel. I think you are worrying unnecessarily.

Last edited by Selective : 16th May 2006 at 20:08.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:46   #43
BHPian

All of us have been cheated at least once at Petrol pumps.
To sum up the various ways are:

1) malpractice: Not resetting the meter to zero. countue meter from later refill
solution: Stay alert, ensure meter is set to Zero and always ask for a Bill.
2) malpractice: Adulterated fuel
solution: A test for Adulterated fuel is available in Hp's Pure for sure branded petrol pumps. or use blotting paper

3) malpractice: Attendant stopping Half way and then restarting again. a Sharp increase in meter reading is noticed.

Not sure if its really a malpractice
Old 29th May 2008, 12:07   #44
BHPian

I had this experience in the BP outlet in HSR Layout (Samhita Fuelling station).
I asked the attendant to fill petrol for Rs. 500. He keyed in the amount and told me 'Saar, jeero' I checked and nodded to him. Waited till he started filling (meter moving) and then proceeded to make the payment by card. I told my wife sitting in the car to observe.
The card transaction got over and I returned to the car. By that time the filling was over and the meter showed Rs. 500. As I sat in the car I noticed that the billing guy was watching my wife continuosly. I ignored that thinking they do that to all women.
Then my wife told me that she has some doubts about the filling and they surely did some gotcha. We were discussing this, all this while being watched by the billing guy. And suddenly he shouts at the attendant who filled "Hey, Power went off" (in kannada of course)
That chap came running and said 'sorry Sir. Power went off, did not realize' and all that.
Then he checked the meter history and said the last filling was for Rs. 428 and filled the remaining amount. All this while I did not speak a word and ensured that he filled the remaining amount. The billing guy constantly kept pleading that he did not do it on purpose and also said 'Sir, why should we do it..neither you are benefitting nor us'
I just warned them to be careful next time and went off.
I helps to be alert. Now I ensure that I dont move till they finished filling and only then pay them.
Sad that this was a good fuel station ( I had previously commented about the price being less in this place). Now they have started playing tricks.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Having filled self-serve gas over several years in the US, I believe this doesnt affect the quantity of fuel dispensed. Because of air-lock, auto-stop kicks in. After the tank catches a "breath", it can take some more gas. This is particularly painful when you try filling up your motorcycle. The workaround for motorcycles would be to push up the outer skin on the dispenser to disable auto-stop (Bikers call this the foreskin).

Pumps in the US do have a notice asking motorists not to force top-up, apparently to avoid spills.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks