Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 12:32   #46
BHPian

Some times the owner is not even aware of these things and the cashier and operators share this money.

All oil compnies have Deputy/Asst Managers looking after a set of pumps. The phone number of this officer is to be displayed at the pump. You make a complaint and action will be taken against the dealer.

I have seen a petrol pump being sealed for adultrated fuel and one dealers supply being stopped for tempered meter (old analog meter). Both these incidents happend in Haryana on the IOC pumps.
Old 29th May 2008, 14:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapra
Having filled self-serve gas over several years in the US, I believe this doesnt affect the quantity of fuel dispensed. Because of air-lock, auto-stop kicks in. After the tank catches a "breath", it can take some more gas.
Well, if it was the auto-stop kicking-in, I don't have any issues. But in this case, it is a deliberate stop (and then restart) induced by the pump attendant, for which I see no reason.
Old 29th May 2008, 15:38   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
I had this experience in the BP outlet in HSR Layout (Samhita Fuelling station).
I asked the attendant to fill petrol for Rs. 500. He keyed in the amount and told me 'Saar, jeero' I checked and nodded to him. Waited till he started filling (meter moving) and then proceeded to make the payment by card. I told my wife sitting in the car to observe.
The card transaction got over and I returned to the car. By that time the filling was over and the meter showed Rs. 500. As I sat in the car I noticed that the billing guy was watching my wife continuosly. I ignored that thinking they do that to all women.
Then my wife told me that she has some doubts about the filling and they surely did some gotcha. We were discussing this, all this while being watched by the billing guy. And suddenly he shouts at the attendant who filled "Hey, Power went off" (in kannada of course)
That chap came running and said 'sorry Sir. Power went off, did not realize' and all that.
Then he checked the meter history and said the last filling was for Rs. 428 and filled the remaining amount. All this while I did not speak a word and ensured that he filled the remaining amount. The billing guy constantly kept pleading that he did not do it on purpose and also said 'Sir, why should we do it..neither you are benefitting nor us'
I just warned them to be careful next time and went off.
I helps to be alert. Now I ensure that I dont move till they finished filling and only then pay them.
Sad that this was a good fuel station ( I had previously commented about the price being less in this place). Now they have started playing tricks.

A similar incident happened with me at the same filling station. Since I was alone, one of the guys distracted me by asking me if I needed the bill and that I need to come and check (something he said! god knows what!)

However, when I returned to my car, the meter was showing 15ltrs. I did not realise then but the moment I started the car and moved say 10-15mtrs I realised I was duped of more than 5 lts of petrol for sure. As I regularly fill that same amount of fuel.

Since I have an out of state registered car, I generally avoid hassles with localites.
I simply called my bank and asked them to raise a stop payment for this transaction.

God knows what would happen next! I am yet to hear anything from them or the bank.

Cheers
Shrey

PS: The quality of the fuel at this pump is good.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 29th May 2008 at 15:40.
Old 29th May 2008, 16:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post

However, when I returned to my car, the meter was showing 15ltrs. I did not realise then but the moment I started the car and moved say 10-15mtrs I realised I was duped of more than 5 lts of petrol for sure. As I regularly fill that same amount of fuel.
Are you sure the meter was showing 15ltrs? In my case (as I realised later!!) he had stopped filling when reasonably sure that I was not noticing and then entered 500 in the meter (as they do before filling up).
If I had noticed the litres meter, I might have caught him red handed!
Old 16th May 2009, 20:07   #50

Cheated on electronic fuel dispensers (pumps)

Hello All,

I have been suspicious for some time that I was being scammed
at the petrol pump, but wasn't sure.

Finally figured out today how it works and I got back Rs 500 from the pump today.

Here's how the scam works.

We normally ask them to fill up petrol worth some round number
- say Rs 1000 and hand them our credit card or cash.

The attendant punches in 1000.00 on the numeric keypad of the pump.
We are careful enough to check that the meter is reset to ZERO
before they begin pumping.

We are watching the numbers spin and the amount gets to
something like 800+

At this moment - another pump attendant hands us our bill
or asks us to sign the credit card slip.

We sign the slip or collect our bill and we turn around to find that
the pump attendant is done and the meter has stopped spinning
and is flashing Rs 1000. We collect our bill and we leave.

At this point we have likely been cheated out of Rs 150-200.

This happened to me. I got suspicious that the last 200 bucks worth
seemed to have gotten done rather fast.

I pointed out to the attendant that the amount was FLASHING when the pump stopped.

Immediately, I told him to fill up another Rs 200. This time I watched the meter all the way. It stopped at Rs 200 - but the number was NOT FLASHING.

Also the lower display was still displaying the rate - Rs 44.29
In the earlier case - the lower display was BLANK.

I pointed out to the attendant that the display was not flashing.
Also - I asked him to top up the tank and paid the second bill also
with my credit card and asked for a bill.

The total fuel dispensed into my car was 43 litres.
My fuel tank capacity is 42.

I immediately asked for their complaint book and showed them my bills.

Immediately about 4 attendants gathered around me and tried to make some excuses. One of them took my fuel bills and disappeared.

I pointed out that one of them had quietly taken my bills away - but I still held the credit card slips in my hand. I said - you can take these too
I can get a print out from the bank / internet.

I told them they could either give me the complaint book then and there
or I could go directly to the HPCL manager.
I quietly told them the name of the manager for West zone sales at
Hindustan Petroleum and showed them his phone number saved on my mobile.

PROMPTLY - one of the attendants apologized, said there could be a mistake and handed me Rs 500.
The ease with which he paid me suggests that their income from this is much higher.

So here's what you can do to avoid getting scammed.

1. Don't buy fuel in round numbers like Rs 500 or 1000
- ask for a full tank especially when paying by card.
2. If you are in a hurry and must buy in round numbers
- watch the meter ALL THE WAY.
3. Do not hand them your credit card
before the transaction is complete.
4. Ensure that when the meter stops
- the amount display is NOT FLASHING

Better still - you can trap them - if you wait to fill up until your tank is almost empty, then buy Rs 1200 worth of fuel, pay for it - and then ask them to top it up on a second transaction if the meter has been FLASHING when pumping stops.

If the total fuel exceeds your tank capacity, point it out to them and insist on the complaint book.
You can tell them you are sure you had at least 10 litres in your tank.
My guess is they will quietly hand you Rs 500 and try to hush it up.

I have checked this on electronics pumps made by GILBARCO and DRESSER and WAYNE.

Will be checking on the L&T, APLAB and AVERY pumps in the next few days and will post if the meter flashes if pumping is incomplete.

On the old analog pumps, if the pumping stops midway - the display
does not move to the higher round number. You ust have to ensure the ZERO reset on those.

Shivram
Old 17th May 2009, 13:42   #51
BHPian

the same thing happened to me at HP petrol bunk at banaswadi, Bangalore. I wanted to buy petrol for my bike too. so told the guy to first fill up petrol in the bottle which i was carrying and then fill up in car. the guy first filled up for 100buck in bottle. The rest supposed to be filled up in car was for Rs.400 but this guy without resetting meter started from 100 bucks and filled till Rs.400 cheating me for Rs.100 arguing me he started at 0 than 100. so this seems like a general practice in HP outlets. never seen this thread before.
Old 17th May 2009, 15:57   #52
BHPian

I think all the digital dispensers store the last filled amount and litres (last transaction). When in doubt you can ask the attendendant to display that. This should clear all doubts.
Old 17th May 2009, 18:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

@Shivram: Since your profile says Pune, can you share the name and other details of the HP petrol pump in Pune if this indeed happened in Pune? This will help others to avoid the pump.
Old 17th May 2009, 21:00   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeys78 View Post
the same thing happened to me at HP petrol bunk at banaswadi, Bangalore. I wanted to buy petrol for my bike too. so told the guy to first fill up petrol in the bottle which i was carrying and then fill up in car. the guy first filled up for 100buck in bottle. The rest supposed to be filled up in car was for Rs.400 but this guy without resetting meter started from 100 bucks and filled till Rs.400 cheating me for Rs.100 arguing me he started at 0 than 100. so this seems like a general practice in HP outlets. never seen this thread before.
. This particular outlet is a born fraud. I had issues with him and when you start shouting they will solve the problem.
Old 17th May 2009, 21:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
@Shivram: Since your profile says Pune, can you share the name and other details of the HP petrol pump in Pune if this indeed happened in Pune? This will help others to avoid the pump.
Avoid the pump opposite e-square and the pump opposite FC bridge (the yellow one BP) best pump to fill is the RTO BP Pump
Old 17th May 2009, 22:46   #56
BANNED

I recently had a very bad experience with HP pump in punjab, when i told the attendant to top up the diesel tank of my conty which is having 65Lts capacity, the attendant started filling it , suddenly another attendant came to me asking questions about mode of payment and again another attendant i saw came near the one who was filling the tank, i got suspicious, i tried to look outside the window but the attendant who was asking me questions tried to block my line of sight, i got furious and pushed the door with massive force which made him to fall on the ground and when i suddenly came out, what i saw was simply unbelievable

THE ATTENDANT WAS NOT FILLING INTHE TANK, HE WAS FILLING A SMALL 10LTS STORAGE CAN [which was made out of castrol lubricant storage] AND WAS GOING TO CHARGE ME FOR THIS.

But being caught red-handed all of the three attendants ran way from the pump. Suddenly pump was empty, no other vehicle was there nor any manager.even the pump was at isolated place. So I took the filling hose and topped up the tank myself and Fled from the scene without any further chit-chatlol
Old 17th May 2009, 23:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Avoid the pump opposite e-square and the pump opposite FC bridge (the yellow one BP) best pump to fill is the RTO BP Pump
Yes... and thats the only pump I go to besides Shell. But has anybody noticed the drop in density? It always used to be around 800 gm/cm^3 and the last two times I went, its dropped to about 760 gm/cm^3!
Old 18th May 2009, 00:16   #58

It's likely the default reading is showing up as 760. I too have observed the same in pumps at HYD showing 760 throughout the day - early morning to late evening. When asked how it remained constant, the attendants informed me that it was not "enabled". How true is it? I don't know!
Old 18th May 2009, 00:35   #59
BHPian

There's a pump here in Mumbai (BPCL on S.V. Road in Stantacruz, near Milan Subway) that has a long running scam where they trick you into changing your coolant. I went there years ago when I didnt know much about cars, and they convinced me that the coolant in my Ford Ikon had gone bad because it was rust coloured. They filled the normal greenish-blueish coolant in my car and collected about Rs. 700 for it. Later I found out that all Ford vehicles are filled with Ford coolant, which is rust coloured. Ditto for some other manufacturers that use different coloured coolant!

I pass by the pump every week (my laundry is in there), and every time I see puddles of discarded coolant all over the place. Seems to be a long running scam. I've warned a couple of motorists.
Old 18th May 2009, 01:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsksnt View Post
It's likely the default reading is showing up as 760. I too have observed the same in pumps at HYD showing 760 throughout the day - early morning to late evening. When asked how it remained constant, the attendants informed me that it was not "enabled". How true is it? I don't know!
How can there be a default reading?? AFAIK, the reading is temperature corrected. So the time of day should not make a difference. From what I can make out, that reading is only good for checking on possible adulteration. I'v only seen very small difference at the RTO pump; like maybe upto a point. The current variation is huge in comparision. Now funny thing is other pump had a reading what I usually see (about 800). So it means these pumps have different underground storage tanks. Wonder if the one I filled from was adulterated... hmmm. Wish the companies give more info regarding these density readings. I should try to call them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
There's a pump here in Mumbai (BPCL on S.V. Road in Stantacruz, near Milan Subway) that has a long running scam where they trick you into changing your coolant. I went there years ago when I didnt know much about cars, and they convinced me that the coolant in my Ford Ikon had gone bad because it was rust coloured. They filled the normal greenish-blueish coolant in my car and collected about Rs. 700 for it. Later I found out that all Ford vehicles are filled with Ford coolant, which is rust coloured. Ditto for some other manufacturers that use different coloured coolant!

I pass by the pump every week (my laundry is in there), and every time I see puddles of discarded coolant all over the place. Seems to be a long running scam. I've warned a couple of motorists.
Coolant is not supposed to be discarded like that!!! Its not at all environmentally friendly!! I'd seriously suggest you don't patronise such places.

That said, you should be sticking to one brand of coolant only! Not only may mixing be harmful for your car, it will avoid the kind of problem above.

Last edited by Raccoon : 18th May 2009 at 01:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks