Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2014, 14:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: How do dealers dispose of a demo car?

What should be an ideal discount over current market value for a 2 year old demo with 20k km. The exiting market value is around Rs. 12.5 lacs. One year old cars are trading at 14 to 16 lacs. The car was 25 lacs when new and these days non fast moving cars are shedding 40% value in the first year itself. This car is now 2 years old any ideas?
Old 3rd October 2014, 14:10   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
What should be an ideal discount over current market value for a 2 year old demo with 20k km. The exiting market value is around Rs. 12.5 lacs. One year old cars are trading at 14 to 16 lacs. The car was 25 lacs when new and these days non fast moving cars are shedding 40% value in the first year itself. This car is now 2 years old any ideas?
If the current value is 12.5L then try getting it between 10-11L depending on its condition (mechanically and aesthetically).

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 14:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If the current value is 12.5L then try getting it between 10-11L depending on its condition (mechanically and aesthetically).

Anurag.
Thanks I had 10 lacs in mind...you nailed it. To add to the general info here, I have been told that demo cars are provided new to dealers at keenly discounted prices from factory, so to begin with they get these cars new at below market price. Perhaps an element to include when negotiating, and making offers on such cars!
Old 3rd October 2014, 14:25   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Thanks I had 10 lacs in mind...you nailed it. To add to the general info here, I have been told that demo cars are provided new to dealers at keenly discounted prices from factory, so to begin with they get these cars new at below market price. Perhaps an element to include when negotiating, and making offers on such cars!
Without any thoughts do negotiate hard as they will be happy to palm that car off.

They generally do not give bad deals when the demo car is in question. Do be careful but! All the best!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 15:32   #65
BHPian

Yeah true they are given to the dealer for just basic cost. Bargain hard, 10 lakhs is a good deal is all is ok. Get its service history checked and hope its not a Skoda.
All the best for signing the deal and trouble free ownership.

P.S.
Just last week a friend bought a 1 and half yr old superb for just 9 lakhs.
Old 3rd October 2014, 16:30   #66
BHPian

I feel a demo car should never be sold to a customer even if it's sold legally for only one reason being, it has been driven by hundreds of people. Because even if the car is sold after being refurbished, still the engine would have been abused right from when it had 2 digit odometer reading. The Punto Evo I testdrove had only about 35xx kms and as soon as I turned on the ignition the check engine light popped up cause it was abused.

Whereas a display car is completely different because it is a very common practice for most of the dealers belonging to certain companies (Toyota, Maruti, Fiat, etc.,) to keep circulating the new cars they have in stock as display cars. I can confirm this because I see different variants in different shades on display after every 4-5 days at Harsha Toyota ,Lanson Toyota and Ramkay Fiat here in Chennai. Also when we bought our Innova in 2009 from Harsha Toyota the display vehicle was a GX Dark Red Mica Mettalic that had 6 km on the odo exactly the variant and shade we wanted. The salesman said this car will be allotted to you,but me being the 15year old car freak that had read horror stories online, asked my dad to insist on asking them place an order for a fresh car. That is when the sales man told me that this car had arrived only 2 weeks back and was on display for the past 7 days since this color on the innova had very few takers. Also after my dad handed over the booking amount they promptly removed the car from display, all I can say 5years and 74k kms later she's no different from any of her other sisters on the road (touchwood!). Also the sales man was one of my dads ex-colleague so a little trust was achieved and the fact that the dealership was less than a month old.

Last edited by Shanksta : 3rd October 2014 at 16:37.
Old 4th October 2014, 07:04   #67
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Worldwide it is a known fact that the dealer demo vehicles can be bought at a throwaway price. Dealers usually offer them up to consumers for sale at heavily discounted rates along with a full "dealer refurb" and a "limited" dealer warranty. Those who buy these cars typically know what they are getting into and hence there is no problem. The only difference is that abroad the roads and infrastructure are good and the car is not likely to be ruined. Plus, in general, way less number of customers are likely to have crawled all over the demo car.
In India, unfortunately, the situation is likely to be diametrically opposite. So if buying such a demo car in India, one has to bear this fact in mind.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 10:43   #68
BHPian

Just my two cents on the Demo care purchase :-

Three factors critical as far as I am concerned while even thinking of a Demo car,

1) Which car
This is important because the way Alto is being test driven is different from how a XUV500 is test driven. People come with different mindsets here. So obviously an Alto will be less strained and XUV would be strangulated!

2) Which brand
From my personal experience, Toyota, Honda and even Maruti have shown rugged engine and gearbox performance even for a TD car with 25k on the ODO. However, take the case of Manza or Fiesta, even 10k would be too much for the car, in the sense, the kind of gearbox issue, vibrations, electrical issues. Lame excuse which the Dealer would give is, car is due for service. I have always felt TD cars of 25k of more are a good indicator of the cars quality itself.

3) Why
Even if you consider Alto vs XUV500 as per point 1, I feel a TD car which has done 25k on the ODO would be equivalent to a regular car (Single owner well driven) which has done 75k to 1 lac kms. So Innova or Fortuner would be a safe bet

So eventually, the question is WHY do you want to do this?
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 19:04   #69
BHPian

I have TD car i20 which I picked up from advaith at 20000kms and I have done 70000kms till now, only issues faced was Ac not cooling properly at 50000 kms and changed brake pads twice, still running the same clutch, same suspension and has no rattles .

It is just that one has to check the car properly before buying

P.s. I have been their customer earlier ( used to own a elantra- old gen) service advisor told me to pick it up as it was a good deal and was very well maintained

Last edited by raj.barcode : 4th October 2014 at 19:07.
raj.barcode is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 23:10   #70
Senior - BHPian

I booked a Ritz Zxi on 7th September. The car is not dispatched yet. However there is another dealer who has just one Zxi but is a showroom display car. Doesnt seem to have any scratches. Its a May 2014 car as per the VIN. Regular discounts. Do I take it ?
Attached Thumbnails
How do dealers dispose of a demo car?-20141011_151923.jpg  

How do dealers dispose of a demo car?-20141011_151907.jpg  

How do dealers dispose of a demo car?-20141011_151853.jpg  

Old 11th October 2014, 23:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I booked a Ritz Zxi on 7th September. The car is not dispatched yet. However there is another dealer who has just one Zxi but is a showroom display car. Doesnt seem to have any scratches. Its a May 2014 car as per the VIN. Regular discounts. Do I take it ?
I assume there are already some discounts available on Ritz. Can you elaborate what additional discounts you are getting with this display car?
Old 11th October 2014, 23:37   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much is that 'regular discount'? Also please check on the ODO, interior thoroughly, tyre condition (there would be nipples on brand new tyres) under the car, wheel wells, door sills, bonnet area etc to check for any usage.

I think you can wait for 1 more week where Diwali discounts will start pouring in - especially for Ritz.
Old 11th October 2014, 23:52   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How much is that 'regular discount'? Also please check on the ODO, interior thoroughly, tyre condition (there would be nipples on brand new tyres) under the car, wheel wells, door sills, bonnet area etc to check for any usage.

I think you can wait for 1 more week where Diwali discounts will start pouring in - especially for Ritz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I assume there are already some discounts available on Ritz. Can you elaborate what additional discounts you are getting with this display car?
No additional discounts. The usual 35k consumer discount and corporate discount of 2.5 k.
Old 12th October 2014, 00:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No additional discounts. The usual 35k consumer discount and corporate discount of 2.5 k.
I'm totally confused! If there are no additional discounts, why do you want to buy a display car that is much more older instead of a newer brand new car?
Old 12th October 2014, 00:17   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm totally confused! If there are no additional discounts, why do you want to buy a display car that is much more older instead of a newer brand new car?
Because I donot have a car now for the last one month and if I have to wait for maruti to dispatch one it will be a month more atleast for me to get one. Its really difficult for my daily commute without a car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks