Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 16:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Awesome scoop man! I am a major fan of Yaris (although I have driven the petrol version). However, the only thing I dislike is the centrally located dials. I hope they launch both Petrol and Diesel versions in India at sane prices
Old 5th August 2008, 16:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wow !! And a diesel too, but will it make it to India ?

If Toyota decide to get the diesel here, it will be fun watching the competition.
Old 5th August 2008, 16:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great find! It looks a very promising hatch. Putting up few photos from net will help to understand the design. Source and review.

SCOOP PICS : Toyota Yaris hatch caught testing!-07_toyota_yarislb_29.jpg

Name:  07_Toyota_YarisLB_01.jpg
Views: 4816
Size:  29.1 KB

SCOOP PICS : Toyota Yaris hatch caught testing!-07_toyota_yarislb_28.jpg

SCOOP PICS : Toyota Yaris hatch caught testing!-07_toyota_yarislb_21.jpg

SCOOP PICS : Toyota Yaris hatch caught testing!-07_toyota_yarislb_08.jpg

SCOOP PICS : Toyota Yaris hatch caught testing!-07_toyota_yarislb_26.jpg

SCOOP PICS : Toyota Yaris hatch caught testing!-07_toyota_yarislb_02.jpg
Old 5th August 2008, 16:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me who thinks that it looks like a Frog

anyways here is a pic of the 4 door version

SCOOP PICS : Toyota Yaris hatch caught testing!-new-toyota-yaris-2.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th August 2008 at 16:57.
Old 5th August 2008, 17:00   #20
BANNED

I'm planning to get one of these for my daily commute in Dubai. It won't be a diesel though. 1.3l petrol.
It's a good hatchback. And being a Toyota, just perfect rock like reliability.
Old 5th August 2008, 17:16   #21
BHPian

Nice find mate..!! hope toyota brings it in India soon...
any idea how much time toyota will take to complete the trial runs and release it in india..?
Old 5th August 2008, 18:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I'm planning to get one of these for my daily commute in Dubai. It won't be a diesel though. 1.3l petrol.
It's a good hatchback. And being a Toyota, just perfect rock like reliability.
Going by the traffic and accident figures out there, DON'T! This is not built to withstand even a little but of punishment...The sheet metal is flimsy!
Old 5th August 2008, 18:41   #23
BHPian

Great find SVC. Indeed Toyota are going to launch the yaris in India, Maybe in 2009. This was also said in the TOI newspaper fews days back when the new karanatak CM was invited to the Toyota factory.
Old 5th August 2008, 18:43   #24
BHPian

This car is 3825 mm long, and a few google searches show that Toyota has a 1.4 TurboDiesel powerplant rated at 89 bhp so they easily fall in the "small car" definition.

Looks like Fabia has some serious competition coming up!

I feel that this car isn't too far away. Toyota won't have a small car till 2010 (when the 2nd plant comes up), and they might launch this as a CKD or a production model from the current plant itself. It might just have some spare capacity now that the current Corolla sales are down (and the new Corolla would be priced way up going by their Camry positioning)
Old 5th August 2008, 19:08   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whatta scoop! I absolutely love the Yaris and have driven my throat dry by repeating that the Yaris will make for the perfect B+ segment hatch in India. Hyundai's i10 / Getz & the overpriced Fabia are the only high-quality options available at the hatch level. Another Japanese manufacturer can turn the 5 lakh segment upside down. A superbly packaged hatch, the Toyota badge, roomy interiors & a diesel will make Indians lap this up like there's no tommorow. I just hope Toyota prices it well...they have shown unnecessary optimism at times.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Svsanthosh. Great find.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

----To All----

A few Frank thoughts...

the 1st second I saw the masked headlights, I , Of course, Got excited and asked my back seat friend to take out his Nokia Express Music 3MP camera and get shooting...

A few minutes and a few shots later I was dead sure I am looking at a Suzuki HatchBack mostly a SX4 Hatch or the star or some other car - i wasnt sure!!

After 6-7 kms of following it, let it pass, get a few stares from the 2 Expats inside, etc etc - Me and my back seat colleague were boasting how we scooped up a suzuki, one point even compared it with the Hyundai..!!

All the time, my better half, seated next to me noticed something and was listening to all the talk me and my buddy were doing...

Then came the most BASIC question of all - Why a KA temp regn for a Delhi based Suzuki or a Chennai based Hyundai...!!!

Now i realized all these years of Auto related Gyan to my wifey wasnt a waste - She opened my eyes.... Next second my brain travelled across KA (bit slow) and BINGO - Toyota , which is 40 Kms from where I was driving.

I humbly accepted that I wasnt the best auto brain inside my Car and was pondering between the Prius and Yaris - I wasnt sure about how they both looked (why would i know).

5 Sec of googling and VOILA - I knew I had scooped up the YARIS.

(Of course, I did not the importance of that until I read all the comments above - thanks Guys)
Old 5th August 2008, 20:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I just hope Toyota prices it well...they have shown unnecessary optimism at times.
I hope this doesn't become another "premium" hatch. It's a lousy excuse being used nowadays by manufacturers to overprice their offerings. And I sure hope it beats the hell out of the Fabia. But when is this coming anyway?

Great find, Svsanthosh!
Old 5th August 2008, 20:17   #28
BHPian

Nice find there Santosh. It is really hilarious that your better-half guided you to recognize the car. I am sure they are going to get this car to India.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
All 3 were not too comfortable with me and my friend clicking away these pics
Fat chance of not being clicked, when you have taken the car for a trial on the great information superhighway of India

Great find by the way. Folks at Toyota had categorically refused to confirm their small car (for India) when we were on a official visit to their Bidadi plant last year and quizzed them about the same. Now we know it...

Last edited by Bullfrog : 5th August 2008 at 20:57.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:54   #30

Nice scoop! I own a yaris 1.5 sedan here in Dubai. I bought the car after a long research. It is only car with the maximum safety features available in the same price range in Dubai. The drive is excellent, absolutely no rattles, light steering, and the inside space is nearly equal to a corolla. And 3 persons can sit comfortably in the back because there is no protruding transmission tunnel. And adding more, its got excellent fuel average. Now my car is run 33K kms with absolutely no problems at all. The maintenance is negligible compared to other cars. Actually I was almost decided to go for 2008 corolla, but after driving yaris taken on rent for a month I went for yaris. It is more value for money than that of corolla. I will definitely buy a yaris if it is available in india.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks