Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you think of the centerally placed console?
I do not want to be distracted while driving. I Want it behind the steering. 98 65.77%
I do not mind taking my eyes off the road. I would still buy a car with a central console 5 3.36%
Position of the console does not make a difference to my driving. 46 30.87%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 22:45   #46
BHPian

I don't mind center-console. All those, who mind, I just request them to recall how many times they looked at console during their last drive. I tried and realized that I hardly looked at it during my last drive, which was from office to home. Apart from that, I don't think, it is a big deal looking at center rather than behind the wheel, not big enough to impact your buying decision.
I see big positive of center-console, fellow passengers can easily read it and be informed about the statistics, specially those interested. I find myself helpless, when I travel with someone else, not able to check speed. I like to check it to just compare the experience in different cars at same speed.
Old 28th August 2008, 23:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

IMO, The idea of putting the meters on center console is bad.
Everytime the driver has to take his eyes off the road to see the readings. This is not safe, and more so for Indian conditions.
The eyes wont naturally fall on them.

The meters behind the steering wheel is place where our eyes naturally fall on them and one has to distract less. We can make it better like they did in case of Civic by providing digital speedo reading in line with the eyesight.

I voted for the first option.
Old 29th August 2008, 23:28   #48
BHPian

Not that am i very technically good driver, but I do remember trying to lok at my speedo while driving the getz at 150kmph during a drive from bangalore to shimla last year, and i just couldnt peep behind the steering. mostly i have only loked at console for indicators and fuel, which i gues can belooked ta in center. dont we always control the music setting from center, something i do more than i check the fuel gauge
Old 30th August 2008, 12:05   #49
BHPian

Creatures of habit?

Well, being a creature of habit, having driven cars with the instrument guage behind the steering wheel all my life, i'm not too enamoured about it being in the center of the dashboard.

This is the reason why I had thought to myself way back during the Auto Expo that the new indica is not for me. Anyway, i'll test drive the vista sometime in the next few weeks to see what the experience is like.

In fact, I hate that I have to turn my head away from the road ahead to change radio stations or the CD track, which is the main reason that i'm hoping the GP comes to india with integrated radio, controls on the steering wheel and the blue & me software.
Old 30th August 2008, 16:36   #50
BHPian

I think too much is being made of the center console thingy. We become accustomed to any sort of arrangement. Anyways, only a cursory glance is required for checking the speed, which can be done easily.

We don't have to admire the curves and beauty of the console in front of us while driving. We need to be looking at the scene outside the vehicle for safety and admiring purposes.
Old 30th August 2008, 23:51   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Now that the vista (ugh. A large number of us hate other products with the same name, don't we?)
Haha. You so bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I detest center consoles. Heck, I don't even like the LHD speedo / RHD rpm arrangement in the C, or the digital speedo of the Civic.
I found the digital speedo quite distracting rather than assisting. Here you actually have to read the digital figure to know the speed. In our regular ones, just a subconscious glance is enough to determine the speed range. I prefer the latter.

For those who ask how many times do you look at the speedo. Well, i do. At least when i am on the highway. So i would any days prefer a conventional console.
Old 8th November 2008, 19:27   #52
BHPian

I am extremely sure i would never ever go in for a car with a center console. The manufacturers are just ruining the essence of a car by doing this silly thing.

I think the driver should be the one in control and not the passengers. Whats the critical information doing sitting away from the eyes of the expert?
Old 9th November 2008, 19:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
I don't mind center-console. All those, who mind, I just request them to recall how many times they looked at console during their last drive. I tried and realized that I hardly looked at it during my last drive, which was from office to home. Apart from that, I don't think, it is a big deal looking at center rather than behind the wheel, not big enough to impact your buying decision.
I see big positive of center-console, fellow passengers can easily read it and be informed about the statistics, specially those interested. I find myself helpless, when I travel with someone else, not able to check speed. I like to check it to just compare the experience in different cars at same speed.
Well to tell you the truth:
Yesterday night I just went out for a drive, and I must've looked at the tacho to check the RPM I was driving at (to shift gears appropriately), check the speedo (to keep it safe on the highways), odo (keep a check on km lodged on tank).

And I guess it would've happend atleast every 15 minutes, if not more frequent.
Old 8th October 2009, 13:01   #54

New Trends : Centrally located instrument panel

Hello People,
I have noticed that two new trends are becoming popular in the Indian auto sector. One is the beige interiors and the other is the ‘centrally mounted instrument panel’
A lot of companies are modifying the offering and mounting the instrument panel in the centre. I have seen it in Indica Vista, Chevrolet Spark, Maruti Ritz (to some extent). Do you think it is a comfortable feature? Are new cars, which are slated for launch, having centrally mounted instrument panel too? Manza, the new car being launched doesn’t have it at the centre. Link for reference: Manza - Look forward to a new level of indulgence
What are your views on this feature?

Last edited by bblost : 8th October 2009 at 13:12.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

This is not a new trend. This was tried 4-5 years back (Nissan X-trail, Indica Vista, Spark) and everyone is switching back to where it should be. There must be some cost advantage if Tata continues doing it.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:23   #56
BHPian

This is an old trend. Two years back I have driven a Saturn Coupe in the US with instrument panel in the middle. I had my apprehension on the cluster being placed in the middle, but to my sweet surprise I didn’t notice anything different while driving. But I felt it’s kind of odd to place it in the middle. The only problem is for people who tend to look at the tachometer every time they change gears.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Remember those old ambys and mahindra jeeps? All had centrally mounted instrument clusters.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:36   #58
BHPian

I don't see any advantage for the end user who uses it. Once when a sales rep was explaining me the centrally mounted instrument cluster in Indica Vista, he told me that it is for the purpose of letting everyone in the car know what speed the car is moving at.

I definitely don't buy this; it's for the simple reason that having a central console allows the same production line to be used for both left hand and right hand drive vehicles. It's a decision towards cost cutting from the manufacturer's end.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:46   #59

New Trends

Is the US the central console is quite popular. But in India have not seen in many cars.

I drove the Spark a few days ago, i found it quite cumbersome to look to my left and then straight on the road.

Maruti Ritz has kept it somehwere in between slightly tilted towards the driver.

Another trend in India I find is of the beige interiors (or to put it rightly coloured interiors) in small cars. Hundai i10 has been quite popular with its beige interiors.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

My 20 year young CJ340 has the instrument panel in the center.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks