Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 22:03   #3166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post

An electric car doesn't make much sense to the typical Indian car owner - it costs more than a comparable petrol vehicle and cannot cover long distances. They ought to provide vehicle owners the option of retro-fitting their cars with batteries and electric motors, just like they can retro-fit CNG fuel systems. Perhaps they can even provide subsidies to turn into electric vehicles like the Bajaj RE, which are classified as quad-bikes rather than cars and are priced at 1 lakh.
The technology will only be viable and get better if government promotes it. More money will go into r&d to get better efficient batteries and longer range. For that to happen governor and institutions need to give it a push. We are never going to get a affordable battery with long range at current subsidy plans and encouragement from govmt. Electric cars make perfect sense in a city environment. If a Amaze size electric car comes at 7-8 Lakhs onr price, it will be a great boost for the tech in terms of inflow of cash for more r&d.
Old 31st July 2013, 22:04   #3167
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Seems you've not been following the fuel price policy recently . The Diesel will be increased 50p every month, till it gets to a no subsidy price, once there, it should be free like petrol.
Gosh. Have forgotten about that SLK. Thanks. But going by the recent hikes in Petrol, the Diesel hike@50P per month will never be able to attain 'free' status.
Double whammy in Mumbai as the prices are one of the highest in the country. I think general public should tell the politicians through the elections to cut down on eating the toll money and divert that to control the subsidy in the form of less deficit.
Old 31st July 2013, 22:18   #3168
BHPian

One side govt is determined to remove the subsidies for diesels slowly . However they are also aware that once the gasoline and diesel prices become same then the overall cost of living will increase as diesel is the basic transportation fuel.

However , even after removing the fuel subsidy there will be a difference in the fuel price between gasoline and diesel.

But it really make since to buy a diesel car when the price narrows down . Petrol engine technology should go to next level and give much more fuel mileage .

Smaller and efficient engines . govt should heavily subsidies leas than 1 litre engines and electric vehicles. But electric vehicles should use power from solar energy. May be mahindra should set up solar fields to cope up demand or consumption of electricity.
This initiative will help the load on electric energy consumption. Mind it still some people in our country do not have access to basic electricity!

Small engines, short cars , high mileage , light weight c and hybrid cars should be heavily subsidies soon by our govt ..

Govt can quickly adopt or ask all manufacturers to adopt stop start switch option for all the cars . Also govt can increase the tax on vehicles with bigger engine like more tha. 4 lit engines etc ( both petrol and diesel)
Old 31st July 2013, 22:36   #3169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
Small engines, short cars , high mileage , light weight c and hybrid cars should be heavily subsidies soon by our govt ..
Govt can quickly adopt or ask all manufacturers to adopt stop start switch option for all the cars . Also govt can increase the tax on vehicles with bigger engine like more tha. 4 lit engines etc ( both petrol and diesel)
The small engines and small vehicles are already subsidized by the govt. at present by way of tax sops.
Electric vehicle manufacturer to get into supply of electricity will be a centurial idea indeed which Henry Ford will very much like. Extreme forward/backward integration . But it's not really practical and the stop start switch does not really help in mileage. My vehicle has one and believe me, no special help.
Taxing engines beyond 4 ltrs volume will definitely make trucks/buses (the means of mass transport) costlier. There are not really many individual passenger vehicles which runs on engines with those capacities.

But I agree to the point that some new way of rationalization is needed in addition to the existing ones to narrow down the absurd difference of prices in India .
Old 31st July 2013, 23:10   #3170
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 14th August 2013 at 11:03.
AUTO_CRAZY is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:09   #3171
Senior - BHPian

Paid Rs. 79.20 (approx.)/ lit for petrol last night in Pune city.

This was the most expensive fuel purchase for me so far. But the worse is yet to come, I guess.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:14   #3172
BHPian

When Govt announced policy of 50 ps increase for diesel per month, crude was under 100 USD. Now it is at 120 USD.

Naturally, petrol rate keeps going up while diesel is still cheaper by Rs 9 than the price it should be at.

The gas cylinder limiting policy has worked very well with Govt weeding out 2 cr fake connections while targeting needy consumer.

Kerosene is another big drain but will be solved by Aadhaar-PDS linkage in coming yrs.

Auto CNG/LPG are priced at market rate.

New gas pricing policy should attract more investment in coming years; only way is to make oil exploration/production more profitable so we get more investments, but this means increased prices.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:15   #3173
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Paid Rs. 79.20 (approx.)/ lit for petrol last night in Pune city.

This was the most expensive fuel purchase for me so far. But the worse is yet to come, I guess.
Driving around in Ile Maurice (Mauritius) the whole of the last 7 days, I have been paying MUR 52 odd for standard Unleaded (Green) Petrol which equals INR 100/- ish.I have filled Petrol in small-ish quantities, regularly and as required, at bunks belonging to ENGEN, Indian Oil and Shell as well as Total. Same price all over.

On another note their Motorways, A and even B Roads are really quite excellent indeed. Far and away better than what pass for Roads here in India, except of course our Expressways and Interstate National Highways which are good.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd August 2013 at 12:33.
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:46   #3174
BANNED

Heard that Export Parity is seriously on the cards. some respite, at least temporarily!
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:01   #3175
BHPian

Just shelled out R13.23 (INR ~ 83/-) in a Total pump on M41 in Jo'Burg South Africa. The prices have been increased just last month and are now at an all time high. Together with the proposed mandatory electronic toll, I think the current agitation by consumers here is well worth the disruptions. I hope the toll agitation can be taken up in India also on similar lines.
Old 21st August 2013, 23:49   #3176
BHPian

Surprising to see no hikes in August so far. Given the rupee's value to the dollar and crude hovering at around 110$ per barrel steadily, I expect another 2-4Rs. hike in petrol end of this month.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:12   #3177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Surprising to see no hikes in August so far. Given the rupee's value to the dollar and crude hovering at around 110$ per barrel steadily, I expect another 2-4Rs. hike in petrol end of this month.
Yes, surprising indeed. In fact, the prices at the Shell outlet near ISKON Rajajinagar has come down from Rs.78.05 to Rs.77.80 when I filled up the day before yesterday there. They did however say that they were waiting for the other PSU corporations to raise theirs before Shell itself went in for another price hike.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:54   #3178
BHPian

Read somewhere that they were planning Re.1 cut in petrol price and Rs. 3-4 increase in diesel price over and above the monthly 50p-Re.1 hike. But that was before the Rupee started its slide last week. Don't know how the latest calculations work out.
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:08   #3179
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

With US Dollar touching 65 against Indian Rupee, let us brace ourselves for another round Petrol price hike on 31st August.

There is also a chance of one time Rs. 2 or 3 increase in Diesel prices, but given the current position of Central Government, I doubt whether the authorities will touch Diesel prices or not.

As far as Petrol prices are concerned, I am quite sure that there will be a hike this month end.

Thanks,
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:32   #3180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Yes, surprising indeed. In fact, the prices at the Shell outlet near ISKON Rajajinagar has come down from Rs.78.05 to Rs.77.80 when I filled up the day before yesterday there. They did however say that they were waiting for the other PSU corporations to raise theirs before Shell itself went in for another price hike.
Not surprising at all. Parliament is in session. So they'll wait, especially to push through the big diesel hike, for it to end on Aug. 30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks