Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 12:41   #5101
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Excise hiked on both petrol and diesel, looks like only partial benefits of the lowered prices have been passed to the end customers.
Looks like these excise hikes are going to continue for some foreseeable future, govt needs to cover more of fiscal deficit.
See the counter view that explains/favors these hikes - Why Government Must Not Drop Petrol Prices For Us.

Also came across this LiveMint article that shows with calculations if excise duty and OMCs markup would have remained at June 2013 level,
the on road petrol prices should have been around 10% lesser (I thought it should have been further less but never mind).
Old 16th December 2015, 13:26   #5102
Senior - BHPian

Excise duty on Petrol and diesel increased.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/50198968.cms
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 13:29   #5103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Also came across this LiveMint article that shows with calculations if excise duty and OMCs markup would have remained at June 2013 level,
the on road petrol prices should have been around 10% lesser (I thought it should have been further less but never mind).
This article is a year old, when Brent was $77. If the maths is redone today with Brent lower than $40, the gap will be significantly more.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 13:35   #5104
BHPian

Brace for the Excise duty hike by the government.
The excuse is that the OMC's are not passing the benefits to consumers.

But at the end of the day it is us who suffers.
The crude is at around 35$. (Even after considering the Rupee depreciation we still have space for ample cuts)
look at the price cut space the OMC's had for the last revision :-
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-1.jpg  

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-1.2.jpg  

Last edited by johannskaria : 16th December 2015 at 13:40.
Old 16th December 2015, 14:25   #5105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I am not at all being sarcastic. The country has already paid a heavy price for keeping the price of diesel less than that of petrol. This has lead to the explosion in the number of diesel cars.
I was quoting to your point that fuel prices are kept high to keep two wheeler owners away from buying cars. Do you honestly believe that majority two wheeler owners own them due to fuel prices?
Old 16th December 2015, 14:27   #5106
BHPian

Another excise duty hike. I believe the Government don't want to let the price of oil fall too low so that sale and usage of cars i.e. luxury goods can be restricted. This is after the Government have decided to deregulate pricing in the market!!! Really sad.
Old 16th December 2015, 17:13   #5107
BANNED

I think with the States defining floor VAT this is but expected. Only, is this a stage in rising Diesel prices. We expect the same or higher price for Diesel (Diesel has a higher calorific content).
Old 16th December 2015, 18:23   #5108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
This article is a year old, when Brent was $77. If the maths is redone today with Brent lower than $40, the gap will be significantly more.
Right .. which is why I was wondering about difference being less.
But all of other factors mentioned seems perfectly relevant to this December as well, except being more stretched - excise duty in one direction and crude prices in other, still our prices are around the same.
Old 17th December 2015, 09:54   #5109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Right .. which is why I was wondering about difference being less.
But all of other factors mentioned seems perfectly relevant to this December as well, except being more stretched - excise duty in one direction and crude prices in other, still our prices are around the same.
Even here the Akali's are crying. I think they should bite the bullet and make all taxes and levies the same on Diesel and Petrol. See the sales of Diesel cars drop by say two thirds. States should be goaded to equate VAT. With about ten states under the BJP this will be another nail in the coffin of the Diesel. If I drive 50,000km a year I will buy a Diesel, else Petrol!
Old 17th December 2015, 10:48   #5110
BANNED

One more point. It seems the US is seriously mulling allowing oil exports. This should make the difference between Brent and WTI/NYMEX near zero. Also, it will add to the oil glut. I do not see the US joining OPEC!

It seems that the cost of Shale derived oil is $40 or so per bbl, so that is out of the reckoning for the moment. The highest cost of production from wells is about $20, while the old ones in Saudi etc produce at about $8.
Old 17th December 2015, 12:27   #5111
BHPian

I have a non enthusiasts view.

It is time that the oil prices are hiked or at least retained at the same level as we need to limit consumption:
- With low oil prices, many economies are in turmoil (and our exports should go down too)
- With so much pollution, higher oil price probably drives people to more efficient vehicles
- Higher oil prices would probably drive more people to public transport. For e.g. Volvos in Blr are costlier than my car for one person, with three or four, car becomes cheaper!
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 17:13   #5112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
I have a non enthusiasts view.

It is time that the oil prices are hiked or at least retained at the same level as we need to limit consumption:
- With low oil prices, many economies are in turmoil (and our exports should go down too)
- With so much pollution, higher oil price probably drives people to more efficient vehicles
- Higher oil prices would probably drive more people to public transport. For e.g. Volvos in Blr are costlier than my car for one person, with three or four, car becomes cheaper!
Wouldn't it be better to simply ban cars in bangalore city. Let everyone cycle or use metro to place of work. Much simpler for rest and fuel prices can be reduced or increased safely in line with global prices.

What is the meaning of this 'deregulation' if it is not applicable when prices fall. India will become the joke of the 21st century.
lurker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 13:34   #5113
BHPian

Here's a press-release from the govt of the day a day back:
https://www.saddahaq.com/press-relea...rol-and-diesel
Old 22nd December 2015, 00:19   #5114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Wouldn't it be better to simply ban cars in bangalore city. Let everyone cycle or use metro to place of work. Much simpler for rest and fuel prices can be reduced or increased safely in line with global prices.

What is the meaning of this 'deregulation' if it is not applicable when prices fall. India will become the joke of the 21st century.
Banning cars or anything would get into people' rights. Setting higher price is not . I should be able to drive when I want to, provide I pay the price.

A good that is priced higher always would be used efficiently.I heard in Saudi, people don't switch off engines as it gets hot and fuel is cheap.. this when they go shopping! DOnt know how to true it is.. but I do see people sleeping with AC on even at current prices).

Lower fuel prices -> Increased consumption -> Pollution & Forex drain.
Old 22nd December 2015, 01:28   #5115
BHPian

After a LONG time filled diesel at Koramangala COCO bunk today. I think my Linea MJD gives 16kmpl in city, without A/c. Not the worst, I guess.

(Btw, There is an offer : If we fill diesel for Rs.1,500/- or more, we get free diesel worth Rs.100/-.
They were annoying by making me wait to collect my number, then condescendingly instructed that I park in the side. Gave them a wrong number.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Lower fuel prices -> Increased consumption -> Pollution & Forex drain.
Appreciate your courage to consider that as a viable solution.
Yet, I believe the excise hikes will make govt more money which will eventually be put into projects riddled with corruption.

Maybe Fuel prices should be revised only every month so that people can plan to use the money saved on significant things. The volatile price is confusing people & that unpredictability stops people from caring for fuel costs.

This is an endless topic :/

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 22nd December 2015 at 01:52. Reason: Snipped OT part

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks