Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 11:53   #5176
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Lalvaz; Running hotter has more to do with reduced Cetane ratings. Calorific values imho are fairly similar. There is one thread which says that K-oil can ruin the injectors pretty fast. In the US K-oil is also called Diesel 1.
@Sgiitk - I think we can post anything on a thread as long as it does not violate the blog rules. I've asked you repeatedly for links to authoritative sources/ reference materials which confirm your hypothesis on the basis of scientific experiments. So far, I don't see any evidence from your end that k oil ruins injection systems. So I will respectfully disagree with your viewpoint.
Old 7th January 2016, 12:20   #5177
BHPian

Brent Crude is now at $32.88, I am worried if government will pass this benefit to customers. It should rather fill its coffers and do something really to improve the economy.

Oil at throw away price in a large country like ours will really swell the vehicle population badly. With our major cities/highways not able to take the current load, low price of oil will make them undrivable(unlivable).

Better strategy would be to gather as much money as possible if this is a short term dip in price use the same to develop efficient infrastructure which will be equally appreciated by people.
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 12:41   #5178
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@Lalvaz; Yoiu have even quoted from my general link (#5173) and are till cribbing. if you care to see there you will find a lot of contradictory views. To me the bottom line is NO DO NOT MIX K-oil with HS Diesel. Will you like to use patrol of say 79 RON (as was standard at one time) with a modern engine. I was forced to do so when I bought a Premier xx deluxe with a big sticker recommending 93 RON and the local pumps having the 79 at best. Even tuning the engine (carb then) was a job, and I had to do it myself. Any hard driving led to furious knocking.
Old 7th January 2016, 13:30   #5179
Senior - BHPian

@Sgiitk - your links were not authoritative links, they were full of contradictions and errors. They were opinions of people rather than scientific test results.

In India, diesel adulteration with kerosene is rampant, even today. Various tests have shown increase in emissions and clogging of fuel filters due to increased particulate matter but no damage to injectors as alleged by you. Since you have not been able to furnish any credible links, please see the test results conducted here: http://www.bioline.org.br/pdf?st04030

I only request that you do not express your opinions as conclusive scientific evidence.

I think we have gone Off topic long enough, and we should get back to the fuel price, rather than other elements.

Best regards.
Old 7th January 2016, 14:05   #5180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
@Sgiitk - your links were not authoritative links, they were full of contradictions and errors. They were opinions of people rather than scientific test results. .... http://www.bioline.org.br/pdf?st04030
Saw the paper. I do not think you have looked at it with a critical eye. All references are very old, and the paper is undated. The last reference is from 2002. Only thing really reported is that the opacity decreases as kerosene is added. This is what triggered me to look critically. It will be Ok for BS-I and II Diesel, but BS-III and IV diesel is pretty transparent to start with.

Looks like a Master's or Bachelor's project being published. Get some pure diesel, dilute with different ratios of Kerosene, and measure the SG and opacity. The former does not change that much, while the latter does (May not be true with BS-III and IV diesel). This is the sum total of it.

I am by no means a Chemical or Petroleum engineer. My experience is that the Internet has a lot of information, but filtering the grain from the chaff i your problem. So I agree let us close the discussion. I am sure by talking to my colleagues at IITK (where I worked till 2014) I can get a lot of references, but I will not bother.
Old 8th January 2016, 13:06   #5181
BHPian

Just an observation: crude is now cheaper than bottled water!

1 litre crude= Rs 16

Crude =$38; 1 bbl= 159 ltrs and USD INR = 68 approx
rahulk2510 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 13:17   #5182
BHPian

I have been an ardent supporter of our PM.
However, I am very disappointed by the the policy that his FM and he himself has adopted on fuel prices. The whole effort is to burden the already over burdened middle class population by hiking excise duty, adding swachch tax and not acting on corrupt bureaucracy.

Being a common man, I do not care about state taxes, central taxes and whatever is being presented to justify rationalisation. If crude is where the government has incurred significant gains, it MUST be passed on to the public, because the same public was subjected to suffer when crude shot up.
Fiscal deficits should be covered with innovative measures and not by fooling common people.

This is somewhere the promise of "Achche Din" have only made fun of us.
1lokesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 16:46   #5183
BHPian

Economic times reports: Prices of India's Crude basket drops further to below $30 mark. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50496989.cms

Hurray! I am not going to top up diesel till 15-Jan, will do it after the next price cuts :-)
Old 8th January 2016, 17:22   #5184
BHPian

I am personally ok with the increase in taxes to reduce the fiscal deficit. Fuel is used by everyone and increase in taxes on fuel means everyone pays taxes as opposed to increasing Income taxes which only a fraction of the population pays.

At a macro level, looks like oil prices are going to be at these low levels, giving the government much needed source of revenue and they can concentrate on getting much needed reforms in taxation etc going.
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 17:29   #5185
Senior - BHPian

We really need to diversify out of fossil fuels. It's about time.
should not get caught up in the next upswing. I personally believe oil is going to last till next 20 years at most. We need to invest in and establish a Hydrogen economy or a Electromagnetic economy by then. Solar is a non-starter, I do not think it is viable on large scale unless nano-technology can somehow remove relevance of batteries.
Old 8th January 2016, 17:33   #5186
BANNED

India basket drops below $30 reports the ET:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50496989.cms
Old 8th January 2016, 23:02   #5187
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I personally believe oil is going to last till next 20 years at most.

There are proven reserves which will last for somewhere between 40-55 years. And reserves are increasing every year. And new technologies are continuously being advanced which extract oil from places which were not though possible earlier. I don't think we have to worry about oil for my lifetime at least.
Old 8th January 2016, 23:54   #5188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
India basket drops below $30 reports the ET:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50496989.cms
So crude is now cheaper than Mineral water!!

$30 for 159 liters => ~12.63/liter.
Old 10th January 2016, 12:48   #5189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
There are proven reserves which will last for somewhere between 40-55 years. And reserves are increasing every year. And new technologies are continuously being advanced which extract oil from places which were not though possible earlier. I don't think we have to worry about oil for my lifetime at least.
Yes, like the North Pole. Once the ice melts it opens up a virgin sea. Could there be any better silver lining for humanity?
Old 10th January 2016, 14:11   #5190
Senior - BHPian

No need to go to those extremes. Saudi Arabia has oil left for another 6 decades and then it will be the turn of Venezuela that has enough to go around for the next 100+ years. All others can keep their barrels where they are, thank you very much.

The North Pole has been melting for a long time now and there will have to be a hot day in hell before it actually happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Yes, like the North Pole. Once the ice melts it opens up a virgin sea. Could there be any better silver lining for humanity?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed