Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Fiat Panda Hatchback 1.3 Multijet

Looks like Panda will make to Indian Shore soon may be late 2012 or early 2013. See new Article in Zigwheels

New Fiat Panda: Bigger and better!| Zigwheels.com
Old 3rd March 2012, 22:15   #32
BHPian

The interiors look real futuristic. Is it just me or does the Panda resemble a slightly slimmed down Yeti?!
Old 4th March 2012, 00:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmeister View Post
The interiors look real futuristic. Is it just me or does the Panda resemble a slightly slimmed down Yeti?!
It indeed looks a lot like Yeti. Particularly the rear view
Sometimes my head turns to see a light brown car only to find this the latest Wagon R.
IF Panda comes, I think these beasts will be good company to each other.
Old 4th March 2012, 06:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
It indeed looks a lot like Yeti. Particularly the rear view
Sometimes my head turns to see a light brown car only to find this the latest Wagon R.
IF Panda comes, I think these beasts will be good company to each other.
I dont know about being in the same league as of the WagonR. Just look at it! It has got all it needs to be posted a little higher in the rankings. I am going to predict a price band of 4.8L - 6.99L!!
Old 4th March 2012, 13:39   #35
BHPian

Interesting news indeed.
Read an interview of Fiat MD recently and he categorically denied any new launches this year. The focus is on strengthening the service network.
Old 4th March 2012, 14:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

The interiors look toy-like. To be funky is one thing and to be like a toy is another thing altogether.
Old 4th March 2012, 22:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmeister View Post
I dont know about being in the same league as of the WagonR. Just look at it! It has got all it needs to be posted a little higher in the rankings. I am going to predict a price band of 4.8L - 6.99L!!
I meant Panda and Yeti named after himalayan/sub-himalayan beasts
Not comparing with Wagon-R in positioning, just the looks.
Old 26th March 2012, 20:50   #38
BHPian

I seriously think if Fiat can mange the image makeover with Panda, it will do wonders to the Indian auto industry. Panda is a very practical hatch, with a nice styling. No offence but it will be much better than the Wagon R (in looks). The tall boy design would be an icing on the cake.
With 1.3 MJD it has all that it takes for a success. Can't say as a sales rocket, but surely a respite for all Fiat lovers from the degenerating Fiat image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Interesting news indeed.
Read an interview of Fiat MD recently and he categorically denied any new launches this year. The focus is on strengthening the service network.
Overdrive in its 'April 2012 Volume14 Issue8' carried a complete article contemplating its launch. Just hope they think about it seriously. You can't always survive selling engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
The interiors look toy-like. To be funky is one thing and to be like a toy is another thing altogether.
Beat with its Bik'ish speedo got similar comments but it did click well with the youth. I feel a good product has the guts to carry some garishness and toyness with itself. Its just what a good product can do!
Old 27th March 2012, 15:00   #39
BHPian

Wow. The squircle dials look smashing. Completly out of the box.

Fiat, you can't survive by just selling premium models in India. To build customer confidance, you need a car that can reach masses. Only if your logo is visible (read, cars are doing good numbers), you can think of establishing indepdent sales/service network.

Believe Panda launch (in 3.5 - 5.5 lakh range) should send a strong message to the Desi Customer that you are here to stay. That should allow you to fulfil both visions (brand image, long-term service strengthing).

In nutshell, Panda seems to have all the potential to be placed in the league of i10s, RITZs in this part of world. Common FIAT, bring it on.
Old 31st August 2012, 08:10   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat previews the Panda ahead of the Sept Paris Motor show

Fiat Panda Hatchback 1.3 Multijet-fiatpanda4x420131346276476.jpg

Quote:
Fiat is calling the third-generation, four-wheel-drive A-segment five-door hatch, which is apparently "ready to tackle mountain mule tracks and the urban jungle with the same cool." If that sounds like your kind of beast, this 4x4 wears all manner of elements to let others know you mean business: black trim and skirting with contrasting skid plates front and back, different fog lights, 15-inch alloys on chunky tires, and the muffler has been raised so that it's tucked within the bodywork.
Quote:
Both available engines improve on the previous 1.2-liter Fire that had 68 horsepower and 75 pound-feet of torque, with the new 1.3-liter, 75-hp MultiJet II diesel bettering torque by 30 percent and the 0.9-liter, 85-horsepower TwinAir Turbo raising that number by 40 percent. Both are fitted with start/stop.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/30/f...ris/#continued
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 09:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Love the latest iteration of the Panda. The car was very functional always and now Fiat had added form as well.

Love what they have done with the rear quarter glass. Never liked the side profile of the old design with the sloping rear window.

The Panda with Multijet and AT will be the perfect city runabout.
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Although I do not have anything much specific to say about the Panda, I would like to mention that a recent visit to the Fiat Cafe (New Delhi) revealed that Fiat is using the second generation MultiJet in their cars abroad. The manager also mentioned that the MJD (sold here in India) uses an all-alloy (aluminium) construction, whereas Suzuki uses cast-iron blocks for the same engine.
So that means the Punto/Linea have the all-alloy block, while the Suzuki twins get the cast-iron block.

Now, I have read elsewhere as well that Fiat uses an alloy block (and not cast-iron), but is there any truth about what I was told w.r.t Suzuki?

Also, I was informed that the weight of the engine in the Punto is approximately 115 kgs. Now this comes as a surprise since Ford's 1.4 TDCi weighs in at only 98 kgs despite having a bigger cubic capacity, but I guess that it has to do with usage of different alloys as well as the fact that the MultiJet is a DOHC unit (as opposed to the SOHC 1.4 TDCi that even has a lighter camshaft with pressed lobes).

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 3rd October 2012 at 23:30.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:54   #43
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Although I do not have anything much specific to say about the Panda, I would like to mention that a recent visit to the Fiat Cafe (New Delhi) revealed that Fiat is using the second generation MultiJet in their cars abroad. The manager also mentioned that the MJD (sold here in India) uses an all-alloy (aluminium) construction, whereas Suzuki uses cast-iron blocks for the same engine.
So that means the Punto/Linea have the all-alloy block, while the Suzuki twins get the cast-iron block.

Now, I have read elsewhere as well that Fiat uses an alloy block (and not cast-iron), but is there any truth about what I was told w.r.t Suzuki?

Also, I was informed that the weight of the engine in the Punto is approximately 115 kgs. Now this comes as a surprise since Ford's 1.4 TDCi weighs in at only 98 kgs despite having a bigger cubic capacity, but I guess that it has to do with usage of different alloys as well as the fact that the MultiJet is a DOHC unit (as opposed to the SOHC 1.4 TDCi that even has a lighter camshaft with pressed lobes).
I have been in the assumption that, the MJD used in Punto and Swift are same. Now its news to me that Suzuki is using a Cast Iron Block.
I think, Cast Iron based engines are more reliable in the long run than the Alluminium block engines. However they weigh more and The performance would be a tad lower to those of Alloy blocks.

Also, i have read somewhere that, the punto engine weighs more than swift engine. Please someone correct me over here.

Are there any specific advantages of using Alluminium block over Cast iron blocks? using Alluminium Alloys for engine blocks would be more benificial? (Like Ferrari)

Old 4th October 2012, 15:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Saw an article in Malayala Manorama newspaper which says that the Panda is coming to India in 4WD version. The article says Fiat thinks "Compact SUV" market in India is booming. The article also says Panda will help strenghten Fiat brand as they are going in for independent dealerships.

Here is link from online edition (for those who can read Malayalam).

Note from Mod : Please refrain from typing in or sharing regional language sources in future. All forum members would benefit if we follow the common language of the forum which is English. Thanks for your understanding

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th October 2012 at 16:29.
Old 7th October 2012, 21:25   #45
BHPian

May I know if anyone has authentic information about Fiat Panda 4X4 coming to India.I am very curious about this car as it's specification suits me very much for my need.

Most Viewed