Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2005, 15:53   #1

Fiat Panda Hatchback 1.3 Multijet

Any news about this car?

I heard that the Panda also has the world’s smallest common-rail turbodiesel engine. Shared with the Vauxhall Corsa and Tigra, the 1248cc dohc unit features all-alloy construction and Multijet direct injection.

By dividing each injector into several smaller units, the Multijet provides more accurate fuelling to improve performance and refinement without increasing fuel consumption.

Inquisitive about the Panda...
Old 31st March 2005, 16:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this will not be launched in India atleast this year. Suzuki will be building JTD engines which Fiat has licensed it to do so. Looks like Suzuki might open its diesel plant by next year end (2006 end). We can expect this engine in all Fiats and many Suzukis by that time or during early 2007.
Old 1st April 2005, 11:54   #3
BHPian

plus, read today's Economic Times.
Fiat is actively looking for partners to off load some of their equity in India.
so anything may happen.
after all they make some fine cars
Old 1st April 2005, 12:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Looks like this will not be launched in India atleast this year. Suzuki will be building JTD engines which Fiat has licensed it to do so. Looks like Suzuki might open its diesel plant by next year end (2006 end). We can expect this engine in all Fiats and many Suzukis by that time or during early 2007.
with the GM Fiat split - this might not happen - maybe Fiat might make the engine for Suzuki in India - gives Fiat an income !
Old 17th September 2011, 15:55   #5
BHPian

Re: Fiat Panda Hatchback 1.3 Multijet

Fiat Panda coming to India in 2012

Source: Fiat Panda Coming To India Mid-2012 | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
gypsyFreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 20:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
there goes my quota of 2 smileys

Jokes apart, this one surely going to be a excellent move by FIAT. Hopefully they will launch it with 75 HP famed multijet and TwinAir - 85HP engine in India. Have personally seen previous gen Panda on my recent overseas visit and she looks excellent . Below are the pics from FIAT facebook's FAN page

Fiat Panda Hatchback 1.3 Multijet-305743_288849331129484_214303211917430_1341472_1670643147_n.jpg
Source: -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 17th September 2011, 20:26   #7
BHPian

Was expecting this. Think this will be sized and priced like the Beat and i10.
They could've done this a lot sooner.
Hope Fiat stays alive till mid-2012.
I've always wondered why Fiat can't make India its production hub for small hatches, like Hyundai, Suzuki, and Nissan?
At least for the 500, Pandan and Punto?
The lovely 500 could be reasonably priced then, and though it won't sell in huge numbers, it will certainly sell in a few hundreds.
Also Fiat could recover some of their capital.
Old 17th September 2011, 20:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Instead of pplonking money in a new launch - they should invest 1000cr in opening company owned showrooms n service centers and assure and deliver quality!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 20:48   #9
BANNED

Will Fiat be able to maintain the same quality, I doubt it because of the competition it has in India, they can win the battle in diesel version with likes of Beat and Figo as Indians like Tall boy cars and with diesel at good price, so they can save that Dicky from huge cylinder of CNG and that frequent tour de la petrol pump.

Last edited by jacksons : 17th September 2011 at 20:52.
Old 17th September 2011, 21:26   #10
BHPian

Hmmm Panda is a tall boy design and they are intelligent enough to plonk in diesel in to it. quality something about which we can only speculate at this point of time.hopefully they have learnt their lessons with punto and plastics etc has improved a lot in 2011 punto's .
Old 17th September 2011, 22:07   #11
BHPian

An entry level diesel hatch is the need of the hour, and the Panda is precisely that. The new generation has just been launched in Europe, and TopGear has been all praise.
There's no point opening separate showrooms and having no cars to sell.
But knowing Fiat, one can never guess when they'll bring this car here, or even if they ever will.
Old 17th September 2011, 22:32   #12
BHPian

I wish they introduce the 4x4 Panda. It will open a new mini SUV segment in India. Right now there is not much offering in this segment. Only competition being Premier Rio and probably yet to be released mini xylo(if 4wd is available)
Old 17th September 2011, 22:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I wish they introduce the 4x4 Panda. It will open a new mini SUV segment in India. Right now there is not much offering in this segment. Only competition being Premier Rio and probably yet to be released mini xylo(if 4wd is available)
I thought initially that there is no panda 4 X 4 but goggled a bit and found below on UK top gear. it has participated in dakar rally as well and managed to finished the challenge , albeit slowly

a video from you tube

Quote:
Here's the recipe: take one Panda 4x4, ditch its little petrol engine in favour of Fiat's 1.3-litre diesel, add cross-eyed foglights and a few clunky plastic panels, jack it up on its springs by a couple of centimetres, add locking diffs... and hey presto, you've got the cheapest diesel 4x4 on the market. Here's the problem: who's going to buy it?
It's an affable little thing, the Panda Cross, and genuinely competent off-road - the previous generation conquered the Paris-Dakar rally (albeit slowly), and this new version feels like it could manage the same, followed by a quick jaunt across the Antarctic to cool off. But out on the open road, not only is the Cross woefully slow - 20 seconds to 60mph feels positively suicidal on motorway slip roads - but the extra ride height and high-stool driving position gives the Panda the top-heavy toppliness of an old lady wearing a lead hat.
Which makes the Panda Cross a tricky proposition. If you're an urbanite, the Cross's ham-fisted road manners make the front-wheel drive Panda a better bet, while the My First Offroader styling won't impress bluff agricultural types after a cheap diesel mudplugger. The less chintzy Panda 4x4 may be a cool car, but this slightly misses the mark. That said, Fiat only expects to shift a few hundred Crosses in the UK each year: are enough camp, thrifty Highland goatherders out there to take the strabismic little Panda into their lives?
Fiat Panda 4x4 1.3 Multijet Cross full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear
Old 17th September 2011, 23:17   #14
BHPian

Fiat badly needs new launches. Theire small car (Fiat-Mio) is also coming by Mid 2012. They should launch Panda as early as possible. Panda will give tough competition to WagenR, i10 and others. Only thing that they should launch with big-bang all over India. Can anybody put detailed specs of Mio & Panda for India?
Old 18th September 2011, 09:13   #15
BHPian

Lets just not go GA GA about this please. For every launch of this manufacture is given such a hype, and when the final product is launched, the impression falls a flight of stairs. I own two FIATs myself (Palio 1.9D and Linea Multijet), and I never had any issue with the car or the service till date. If launched I might sell my old lady palio 1.9, who has done 1.3lac kms and buy another fiat.

Don't know if this is after joining the TATA, they seems to have got the get it wrong and fix it later, like most of the TATA cars launched . I think its very important to get it first at launch. I don't think there are issues with the mechanicals. But the quality of plastics and fit and finish. I still feel my palio 1.9 is better put together than Linea.

So just hold your horses till this baby is launched. and I would reserve my comment for that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks