Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2008, 13:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Never mind BT, That is why HM is HM.

I'd love to pick up a chassis and mate it to a powerful diesel engine straight six and plonk a 4wd GB etc.. if i could find a good chassis.

The RTV can do some basic offroading even without the 4x4.

But, the 2 litre isuzu engine is not too great on the torque front..only 11Kgm..Sad

Last edited by headers : 5th November 2008 at 13:37.
Old 5th November 2008, 13:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I dont think it is this way. Mahindra had a tie up with American Motors or Chrysler to manufacturer Jeeps under that name. The Mahindra Commander is mostly a similar design of the American CJs. I wont be surprised if it was the other way that the Trekker was infact a copy of the Jeeps
Sir, the HM trekker arrived, atleast, in the indian scenario, earlier than the commander.

I too, am aware of the Mahindra - Chrysler Jeep story. Infact, Mahindras license / agreement expired in the late 80s, early 90s and hence the "JEEP" logo was removed of the MM540s too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Those who ever had the opportunity to travel in a Trekker will know how much more comfy it was compared to the other people carrier of its time, the Mahindra Jeep.
It was an ugly vehicle and the current models which are shown on the website are even uglier. However, given the correct treatment, I think the old Trekker could have the potential to be a lifestyle vehicle.
Yeah, agree with you Aditya, maybe one should give it a DC design or something on those lines.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2008, 14:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Those who ever had the opportunity to travel in a Trekker will know how much more comfy it was compared to the other people carrier of its time, the Mahindra Jeep.
Absolutely right Aditya. I have pleasant memories of the trekker. It was wayy more comfy than the Mahindra jeeps. The engine was a lot less noisier.
Old 5th November 2008, 14:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It was wayy more comfy than the Mahindra jeeps. The engine was a lot less noisier.
Also, more FE as well as underpowered!
Old 5th November 2008, 14:35   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I'd love to pick up a chassis and mate it to a powerful diesel engine straight six and plonk a 4wd GB etc.. if i could find a good chassis.
Take that offroad? There are better vehicles suited for converting to an offroad then that chassis. Emotions aside i still think this was better if it never came out.

Why is this in the Vintage and Classic Cars in India Topic. This is neither.
Old 5th November 2008, 14:43   #21
BHPian

The Hindusthan Trekker was a toned-down Ambassador. During the late 70s and early 80s a car was an expensive luxury. Road travel for the masses (other than by bus)meant private transport by autorickshaw or public transport on a shared basis in Tempos, Jeeps, Standard 20s or Trekkers.

The Trekker had Ambassador mechanicals-the suspension, brakes, steering, differential, gearbox and engine were the same as the diesel Ambassador of the same period. Only the body and seats were different and were very basic, obviously to cut cost. There was a boxy rectangular front, a flat windscreen, a fabric roof, no doors or windows and a small rear tailgate with no glass. It could carry a lot of people, some of them hanging out of the sides and back of the vehicle!
Old 5th November 2008, 18:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Take that offroad? There are better vehicles suited for converting to an offroad then that chassis. Emotions aside i still think this was better if it never came out.
Why not, it has a good GC, width and great front and rear overhangs that are minimal. Please tell me why one should NOT take that vehicle offroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
It could carry a lot of people, some of them hanging out of the sides and back of the vehicle!
Yeah, this is typical near ernakulam and cochin where i've seen this ply as taxis.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2008, 18:30   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Why not, it has a good GC, width and great front and rear overhangs that are minimal. Please tell me why one should NOT take that vehicle offroad?
So any vehicle that has good GC,width and great front and rear overhangs is good to take offroad?

If you take that thing stock then i dont have an argument.

If you say you are going to plonk in a 6 cylinder engine, a 4WD gearbox, a a strengtened chassis considering flex and stress, adding better rims, tyres, power steering, better suspension but keeping only the gc, width and great front and rear overhang stock then i dont have an argument either.

So yes you can take that thing offroad.

Also i said this "There are better vehicles suited for converting to an offroad then that chassis". That RTV that you said comes only with 11kgm of torque comes to mind.

Last edited by Spitfire : 5th November 2008 at 18:36.
Old 5th November 2008, 21:58   #24
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any ides about the current price of the Trekker and if is available at all?

Cheers
Wolg
Old 5th November 2008, 22:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...The RTV can do some basic offroading even without the 4x4.

But, the 2 litre isuzu engine is not too great on the torque front..only 11Kgm..Sad
Quote:
... That RTV that you said comes only with 11kgm of torque comes to mind.
The goods version of the RTV comes with the Simpsons S4 with 19.6kgm

RTV Goods Carrier Model : Technical Specification

Old 5th November 2008, 22:55   #26
BHPian

I used to travel in Trekkers just three years back ,there are still lots of trekkers here at my place.Any one can get a Trekker from Rs.15,000 to 30,000 for the "Pristine " Condition ones.

I Even took my Driving License in a Trekker.
Old 5th November 2008, 23:23   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
The goods version of the RTV comes with the Simpsons S4 with 19.6kgm

RTV Goods Carrier Model : Technical Specification

And you can get it chassis form and cab. Much better then converting a Trekker to an offroader.

What it can become is something like an open top used by tourists to roam around say in a place like Kerala or Goa - beach side.
Old 5th November 2008, 23:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

now now it is nostalgic.I used to travel to school for few years in Trekkar then a standard van(forgot the name!but got similar to a landmaster grill) ,and for few days a morris minor too!(all 1985ish).
Still we can find trekkers , though very rare in kerala.in its golden days ,it is the "Bandh king"(hadthal king). it plies between towns during bus strikes to make the maximum money ,while mahindhra jeeps fails in accomodating all!

and this is what Hindustan motors' R&D DId? coverting amby to a jeep clone?//
Old 6th November 2008, 08:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Much better then converting a Trekker to an offroader.
Quote:
So yes you can take that thing offroad.
Spitfire, I'd like to hear your POV regarding an ideal offroad vehicle. Dont mind if you start a separate thread and PM me on that.

We all know that the Trekker was hugely underpowered etc etc, but that vehicle has sold enough in the 80s atleast in the 4 southern states. It had a crappy engine but delivered a very good FE and had enough space to ferry people and luggage around.

It was basically an Ambassador redefined! Those were the days when HM did the marketing and sold vehicles, typically a pre-Maruti era!
Old 6th November 2008, 10:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Trekkers were very popular in 80s and I used to travel a lot while doing picnics in summers on the coastal belt of Andhra Pradesh.
Distincltly good ride,they were a great asset while driving in sand and had good power to take the load.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks