Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 11:11   #46
BHPian

I was told that this is a Hindustan Trekker. Can the experts confirm? This is at my wife's native place in Gangolli (near Udipi, Karnataka). It still runs quite well for a 23 year old vehicle
Attached Thumbnails
Old Hindustan Trekker-dsc_1007.jpg  

king_julian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 12:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

That seems to be one heavily modded Trekker ! Guess the owner got bored with its design and hence modded it to look like an Amby station wagon. Sorry to say that it looks really crappy now.It should have retained the original looks.
Old 4th December 2009, 13:21   #48
BHPian

You can find many Trekkers in Tamil Nadu. In good conditions too, 99% of them are used in Driving schools.
Old 4th December 2009, 17:11   #49
BHPian

Here's a specimen I spied on a recent visit to Kerala. The licence plate indicates it's an early '90s model. Looks to be in decent shape for a 15-year-old "contract carriage", but then I've seen that vehicles in Kerala -- including public carriers -- seem to be much better maintained than elsewhere in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Hindustan Trekker-trekker.jpg  

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 4th December 2009 at 17:18.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 20:22   #50
BHPian

My best wishes to all members who have contributed in this thread.
I is out of my imagination that I am hearing about traker.
Am per my memories I had seen traker last in early 80s (mostly used in Govt. departments) thereafter amby and mahindras were popular in Govt also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Here are the pics of 2 Brand New Trekkers which are reduced to scrap. Both are parked at the dealers Godown. Issue began when the person left the dealership of HM and picked up some other company. End result, company was not ready to take them back nor was the dealer interested in selling them. Along with these 3 Trekkers there were 4 brand new Ambys. Now they cant even be sold as scrap because of the dispute between the company and the dealer.
Unbelievable sad story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolg View Post
Hi Guys,

Any ides about the current price of the Trekker and if is available at all?

Cheers
Wolg
Bad joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Here's a specimen I spied on a recent visit to Kerala. The licence plate indicates it's an early '90s model. Looks to be in decent shape for a 15-year-old "contract carriage", but then I've seen that vehicles in Kerala -- including public carriers -- seem to be much better maintained than elsewhere in India.
It is not 15 year but more than 25 years old. License plate is a case of new registration.
Old 4th December 2009, 23:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

I'm one of the lucky few who get to see the TREKKER everyday!

There's this guy who lives near my place who owns a cream coloured one.

It's definitely a people mover. 3 people abreast in any seat and there is still so much room. Its almost as iconic as the JEEP for me
Old 4th December 2009, 23:46   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Down the memory lane, I remember as a kid i found HM Trekker very ugly, I always wanted to know about this vehicle then but i never came across a person who knew about this vehicle then.
Old 5th December 2009, 01:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_julian View Post
I was told that this is a Hindustan Trekker. Can the experts confirm? This is at my wife's native place in Gangolli (near Udipi, Karnataka). It still runs quite well for a 23 year old vehicle
it resembles the trabant to some extent.

Old Hindustan Trekker-1.jpg

source-wikipedia
Old 5th December 2009, 14:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
It is not 15 year but more than 25 years old. License plate is a case of new registration.
There is some confusion in what you have written above.

The new numbering scheme started in Aug / Sep 1989. So it cannot be more than 20 years old. The alphabet is E and so it has to be early 90s only and that would probably be about the 15 year mark only.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:18   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

There is some confusion in what you have written above.

The new numbering scheme started in Aug / Sep 1989. So it cannot be more than 20 years old. The alphabet is E and so it has to be early 90s only and that would probably be about the 15 year mark only.
Fully agreed with you that new numbering scheme was started in mid of 1989.
When this ‘treckker’ was on the road first time before 1985. It was having some KLN 2578 type (for eg only) registration number. And in 1991 when current owner applied for new registration and he got this KL 7 E - XXXX registration number.
Buddy, it is very common. I have many premier padminis, M800 (old model) ond many other cars with new registration numbers. I also not able to understand the logic behind this.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Fully agreed with you that new numbering scheme was started in mid of 1989.
When this ‘treckker’ was on the road first time before 1985. It was having some KLN 2578 type (for eg only) registration number. And in 1991 when current owner applied for new registration and he got this KL 7 E - XXXX registration number.
Buddy, it is very common. I have many premier padminis, M800 (old model) ond many other cars with new registration numbers. I also not able to understand the logic behind this.

what you have written is not correct.There seem to be some misunderstanding of facts.when you go for renewal of Registration/FC you are Not Alloted a new number.That is why still KLT,KLV,KLE vehicles are running.This guy must have either swapped a new book on it or it is a Reregistered Vehicle(from some other state)

Old 29th January 2011, 21:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Re: Old Hindustan Trekker

For the record, I live near Tirurangadi, Kerala. I'm very proud to say that HM Trekker has not yet become extinct in our region. In fact, we have around 10-15 HM Trekkers in our area and they are mostly primarily being used as a people mover, especially by schools!

Yes, I travel in Trekker, almost every day.

Old Hindustan Trekker-panning-shot_klub-class2.jpg
Klub Class is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2011, 01:03   #58
BHPian

I guess I am an old timer out here! I have had a few rides on one particular canvas top trekker. Loved it. The days of the Amby, Fiats and the MMs ( ofcourse the standard motors contraptions). I can still remember the drive up sengeltheri and kalakad. I was in my 2nd std. then. Like always, I guess its best only when someone comments only if he has at least had a chance to ride it at some point of his life if not own or drive it!? Its not fair to compare it with what we get these days.

But it was one of the best at those times, not in looks perhaps but was a fun drive.
Old 30th January 2011, 01:07   #59
BHPian

Are the front wheels smaller than the rear wheels?
Old 30th January 2011, 01:09   #60
BHPian

Optical illusion perhaps? they came with same sized wheels then!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks