Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 13:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

yaar, you understand its not OK. but tell you what, thousands of posts and millions of views later, it'll still be the same. So adjust maadi.
Old 7th November 2008, 13:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of one incident that I saw in my city around 3-4 years ago. A huge Ashok Leyland truck was at a busy junction. Accidently the truck hit one Maruti 800 at almost dead slow speed. The 800 just shock a bit. What happened is that the Maruti 800 guy saw green light and went ahead and as soon as he was in middle of the road, the army tuck started moving and then he braked but this incident happened.

The army guys tried to take control of situation, but luckily the police officer came from near by station and said he is in control . Army guys refused and it was hell now. The horns of all vehicles were blowing. One Maruti 800 guy snatched the gun from a man in army and then the army was attacked. But All of the army people were not carrying guns, and the police officer quickly made the things peaceful.

From that day, I have noticed that there are four second gap between the signals going green to read and the other coming to red. This is to allow the traffic that is gathered ( if the traffic is gathered ) to clear and then the next signal turns green.

But this incident reminds of the fact that army men are not the most disciplined on civil roads. Certainly not. This incident was saved from media after a lot of understanding. It happened near Harinagar Char Rasta in Vadodara.

O.T. There is only one police officer who towed away PM's car. PM was Indira Gandhi and the officer is Kiran Bedi. ( Correct me if I am wrong ).

Last edited by aaggoswami : 7th November 2008 at 13:25.
Old 7th November 2008, 13:16   #18
BHPian

I stay at Pallavaram (Chennai), very near to Army Cant. (Deccan Devils). And I use the military road every day. The military guys are so well behaved, most of the time I see them help clearing the traffic. And I have also seen many a time they giving way for the opposite vehicle by getting down the road!

Every section has few corrupts for some section it is the opposite! You might have banged on that few corrupts!
Old 7th November 2008, 13:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
One Maruti 800 guy snatched the gun from a man in army and then the army was attacked.
Ofcourse the army guys will retaliate if someone snatches their gun! It's an instinctive behavior after years of training!
Old 7th November 2008, 13:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Ofcourse the army guys will retaliate if someone snatches their gun! It's an instinctive behavior after years of training!

It was a crowd against the army personal. And that's why that man managed this feat. Retaliate was not an option for them. This is not the first time this has happened.
In another case also, seven to eight people came and snatched an army man's gun and almost killed him.
Its the training that saved him.
Old 7th November 2008, 13:39   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was a crowd against the army personal. And that's why that man managed this feat. Retaliate was not an option for them.
If there was a crowd and a gun was snatched, then why is retaliation not an option??! What would they do? Run away leaving the gun in the hands of a civilian??!
Old 7th November 2008, 13:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
yaar, you understand its not OK. but tell you what, thousands of posts and millions of views later, it'll still be the same. So adjust maadi.
He has adjusted! The very fact of posting here is to vent the pent up frustration. That helps us all to cope! BECAUSE there seems little we can do to change it!
Old 7th November 2008, 13:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I stay at Pallavaram (Chennai), very near to Army Cant. (Deccan Devils). And I use the military road every day. The military guys are so well behaved, most of the time I see them help clearing the traffic. And I have also seen many a time they giving way for the opposite vehicle by getting down the road!

Every section has few corrupts for some section it is the opposite! You might have banged on that few corrupts!

My friend's dad who was a MTC conductor was attacked by these army men for a petty incident. More army men joined him to attack as the incident happened close to Pallavaram and my friend's dad had to run for cover inside a post office.

Dealing with an incident involving an army vehicle is not all that easy IMO.
Old 7th November 2008, 13:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
If there was a crowd and a gun was snatched, then why is retaliation not an option??! What would they do? Run away leaving the gun in the hands of a civilian??!

So what the civilian have to do if he is being mistreated for not his fault ? Run away and accepting that he has no right to survive ?
In the case I have mentioned, the civilian tried to protect his right. And IMO, he has right to the arms if need be. Here thankfully, the gun was returned and no issues were reported. And they were literally surrounded by huge crowd that was very frustrated. So retaliation was not a proper option.
In reality it was " Samadhan thaie gayu " i.e Compromise is made. Eventaully the police, civilians and army men had a tea at tea stall and all of them paid money. But it took a long time to reach this.
Old 7th November 2008, 13:58   #25
BHPian

I have seen two State Cars ( One CRV white with top red lights on) and a security vehicle ( Amby with lights on top) Didn't pay the Parking fee at Forum Mall,Bangalore. He just stopped at the gate and abused the lady on duty to her death for not opening the gate and for asked the magnetic time slip. As per him(Driver) she has to open the gate without collecting the money. After this incident she just sat on floor, shivering scared to death.

This is what the top officials of our country do. They belive that rules are not meant for them. Sad.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 7th November 2008 at 14:00.
Old 7th November 2008, 14:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
This is what the top officials of our country do. They belive that rules are not meant for them. Sad.
I too believe this.
They know in their hearts what they are truly worth, and such antics help them to believe they are really in-charge of things! None of them dare to walk the streets with their countrymen, without gun-toting commandos. Does that tell us something?
Old 7th November 2008, 14:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
I cannot say anything about the police force, but I Can definitely say that fauji's will never endanger anybody's life, whether it be a pedestrian or a commuter on the road. As Srini said, I feel they can always be given a bit of laxity keeping in mind that they are some of the most responsible people.

Speaking of jumping red light- you'll rarely see a fauji car jumping the light unless its an emergency. The people behind the wheel of a fauji vehicle have very different mentality unlike us. They think 'for the people' and not 'for themselves.'
I stay in cantonment,and do not completely agree with you.
yes some of them are very particular about following rules but not all of them
I recall a minor incident few days back when I overtook a NHC driven by an Army officer,may be it hurt his ego or dont know what happened to him he started driving like a maniac jumping speed breakers to get ahead of me..
And if you encounter a Jeep/Gypsy being driven by a driver with officer sitting besides just make sure to move away from its path,as they just dont budge even a CM from their line no matter what you do.

And I admit that most drivers handling those big 4X4 trucks are stupid drivers.Most of them are not trained properly to handle the big vehicles.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 7th November 2008 at 14:27.
Old 7th November 2008, 14:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I recall a minor incident few days back when I overtook a NHC driven by an Army officer,may be it hurt his ego or dont know what happened to him he started driving like a maniac jumping speed breakers to get ahead of me.
You can call it 'minor'. To me that is very big and very telling!
It substantiates the essence of this thread!
Old 7th November 2008, 14:29   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So what the civilian have to do if he is being mistreated for not his fault ? Run away and accepting that he has no right to survive ?
In the case I have mentioned, the civilian tried to protect his right. And IMO, he has right to the arms if need be.
still not justified. this is india and not US. We don't have a right to bear arms. it's not as if the civilian had the gun pointed to his head. Even if the civilian would have wished to take up the case to higher authorities, he lost all his chances by snatching the gun. infact he can be prosecuted for that.
Old 7th November 2008, 14:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I stay in cantonment,and do not completely agree with you.
yes some of them are very particular about following rules but not all of them
I recall a minor incident few days back when I overtook a NHC driven by an Army officer,may be it hurt his ego or dont know what happened to him he started driving like a maniac jumping speed breakers to get ahead of me..
And if you encounter a Jeep/Gypsy being driven by a driver with officer sitting besides just make sure to move away from its path,as they just dont budge even a CM from their line no matter what you do.

And I admit that most drivers handling those big 4X4 trucks are stupid drivers.Most of them are not trained properly to handle the big vehicles.

All five fingers are not equal! Some bad guys are also there in the green uniform but IMO, based on my experience since childhood, Army cops are far more disciplined and seldom tend to break rules.

Cheers!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks