Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 02:43   #31
BHPian

hopefully Hindustan motors should wake up and promote Mitsu better. For some reason, they dont have the Cedia in their minds.
Old 6th January 2009, 03:10   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I pray for the day this eyesore breathes it's last and is given a decent burial, eulogies included.
it may be an eyesore to some, but IMO it is still better looking than a car in your garage if it can be called a car - the Estilo.. . No offence to estilo owners.
Old 6th January 2009, 09:28   #33

ambierod

DC already created a new version of amby, and it looks stunning. they manufactured only 10cars. priced at 50 lak. HM should take up this design as prototype and create something more affordableName:  1.bmp
Views: 51078
Size:  550.6 KB

Hindustan Ambassador revival-2.jpg

Hindustan Ambassador revival-3.jpg

Hindustan Ambassador revival-ambierod_01.jpg
Old 6th January 2009, 18:31   #34
BHPian

No offence mechaholic. Personally, I dont find it stunning. But then.. to each his own.
Old 6th January 2009, 18:59   #35
BHPian

Doesn't look stunning at all to me. Poor attempt to do a Chrysler????

[quote=mechaholic;1118097]DC already created a new version of amby, and it looks stunning. they manufactured only 10cars. priced at 50 lak. HM should take up this design as prototype and create something more affordable
Old 6th January 2009, 19:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Doesn't look stunning at all to me.
+1 to that. What HM need to do is to completely reinvent the Amby a la Mini. They shouldnt flog the same platform and aggregates as they are now half a century old. The game has moved too far ahead for them to continue with the same stuff.

That said the market will definitely support a modern four door saloon with rear wheel drive and sofa like rear sear comfort (think Indigo XL, though that is FWD) but I dont think HM has the engineering depth to pull it off.
Old 24th November 2009, 09:36   #37
BHPian

Great pics Mechaholic,
I really like the way DC has created the Ambierod. It has wonderful curvy lines and I think this design philosophy should be carried forward by HM. As someone mentioned it also has some hints of a Chrysler design.

The one other car which reminds me of Ambie in a new Avatar is the Infinity G series. I know it's very subjective but have a look and say what you think.

I am also a believer that we should not be influenced too much by western and japanese designs. Otherwise our minds will come to think of those designs as standard and pretty and everthing else will look unoriginal or a cheap imitation.

Indian companies should try to keep their originality and given enough time and support our designs can be trendy in the western / eastern world as well.
Old 26th November 2009, 00:50   #38

Amby in Estate version with 3rd row seats would be a run-away hit in rural markets. No need of too much design gimics!
Old 26th November 2009, 09:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

HM should gear-up with Mitsubishi and bring down more cars to India. They should as well redesign the Amby. I never expected FIAT will pull back strongly in our country. Expecting the same from Mitsubishi.
Old 26th November 2009, 09:20   #40
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep DC can help the Amby reinvent with more modern looks, but it also needs more modern technology. The mini example is good.

As far as being Indian is concerned, I personally feal that the most Indian company is TATA not M&M and not Hindustan (which just imported the basic car design and moulds from UK) and definately not premier (which sold old fiats), not even maruti (which has more than 50% market share but all it's cars are essentially Suzuki's designed in Jap - even the major ownership is not from India today - with the exit of the govt.)

TATA to help of an Italian firm to design the Indica for them based on their specific requirements and specification (more an emoployee or job contract type of deal). The Indica and its variant like Indigo, vista etc, are the best example of the true indian car.)

So somehow the Amby is not that Indian to me at best is it as India (except for the name) as the FIAT. How Indian to we feal about the Premier mini SUV from China?
Old 26th November 2009, 09:20   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am in the market for a 50 lakhs ambassador car? Anyone knows where I can get one? </sarcasam>
Old 26th November 2009, 09:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

The first picture has CRV chassis/ with swift body and amby grill with matiz like headlights. Good photoshop job!!
Old 28th March 2010, 01:34   #43
BHPian

This thread seems to be breathing its last .zzz..
just like the HM ambassador.
Why don't team BHPians take the lead in creating a futuristic looking HM ambassador so that we can at least dream about it.
well so much for the amby.
Old 28th March 2010, 02:30   #44
BHPian

The Amby, along with the Fiat, were the pillars of the Indian transport system pre Maruti era. The Amby was a great car for its times. It failed because of many reasons. One, lack of modernization, two, the attitude of the dealers and their sales staff by causing artificial scarcities and then selling the car for a premium, a practice endorsed by the manufacturers themselves, three, its image as a politicians car, four, their orders came from the Government and so their order books were full and thus did not care for the real customers, the people of India. Then, the poor quality of the product and nonexistent post sales support as well as competition, which ate away their business.

On the other side of the coin, the present Amby Classic 1800 and 2000 Diesel can give any other car a run for its money provided fit and finish are better looked after, point of sale and point of service issues addressed and better spare part support. Of course, a lot more can be done, however, HM has to bring the price down drastically, 6 L for an Amby? Come ON, guys. This is daylight robbery, and you know it. The molds and dies have been written off 40 years ago, and no fresh investment is being made on the HM side, so you can reduce the price by 40% if you try. Good management at HM, where it is not just a suit in a chair but a motorhead who is a fanatic will go a long way in solving their problems. Ut takes just ONE enthusiast to be able to drive change. For those of us who grew up on Amby's, we have seen the car go full circle, lets hope it survives. Time will tell.
Old 28th March 2010, 11:19   #45
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
I have had the comfort of riding in the Amby, it is surely a special car with unique capabilities of riding over rugged roads. All these years it had kept quiet while the Tata sumo and Mahindra Bolero has stepped up to provide good looking cars but basically the same ride quality of the Amby and have eaten away its sales.
If amby need a comeback they cannot just do that by redesigned exterior. That may help them sell few more units, but nothing substantial. Moreover exterior and interior visual design is something that can be changed by the end user through dc or smaller auto design players.
What they have to do is to develop a new vehicle from scratch, like the other players. And going by what has happened in HM till now, we can confidently say that the HM management does not have the balls to do that.

In the starting post in this thread the author gave example of mini. It should be noted that mini is an entirely different vehicle now. Not just that it is lightyears ahead from the original in terms of engineering, it is also positioned differently. The original was economy hatch and the new minis are premium hatch. Other similar examples are fiat 500 and vw beetle.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks