Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 14:52   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
That is a different engine, not the one which is there in vRS. And by the way all cars incl Civic and Octavia are detuned for India. Civic abroad also comes with K20 engine.
VW 1.8T is pretty old block now and does not compete with latest engines at all, both in terms of power and FE. Unfortunately, same is true for the whole car, the design dates to more than 13 years back - long time in today;s age.
The VW 1.8T engine is the same engine which powers VW cars like Jetta and Passat abroad. It also powers the Audi A4 and TT in different states of tune.

Isn't it amazing that a 1.8T engine which is 13years old can still beat the pants of the Civic which is a new gen engine. At the same time give fuel efficiency which is on par. FE figures you can ask members like Ajmat and N_C. It may be Turnbocharged but never the less 150bhp from a 1.8L engine which is 13years old shows what a bullet proof engine it is.

The K20 engine isn't in the picture even if it's more powerful since it is not available in India. So no point in that.

The only reason that the vRS was discontinued was because skoda's diesel engines are far more popular due to their efficiency. That's the reason why the Laura was launched only with the diesel engine. More over the Laura was introduced with lower spec models like the Ambiente and Elegance which brought the price close to the vRS. This brought down the sales of the vRS and it was not feasible to still manufacture it as the diesels were doing better.

Incase of Civic there is no diesel model so it doesn't matter.

Moreover skoda is expected to relaunch the vRS but now in the Laura with an even more powerful engine. I am not sure of exact launch date though.
Old 14th December 2008, 19:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I beg to differ about the FE being on par. Driven hard, a vRS will give you 6-8KMPL, while you can expect 8-10KMPL on a Civic.

But I'll be honest in saying (as I've said before) that I would prefer a new vRS to a new Civic. But as a total package, Civic is better IMHO.

Also, it is curious how when you compare a vRS to a Civic, the Civic becomes the sensible buy while if you compare the Civic to an Altis, the Altis becomes the sensible buy. Curious... and hilarious.

Of course, if Honda offers a Type R here, screw everything else. I'll buy that, eyes closed. So would a lot of vRS fans I assume.
Old 14th December 2008, 19:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Hmm, I beg to differ about the FE being on par. Driven hard, a vRS will give you 6-8KMPL, while you can expect 8-10KMPL on a Civic.

Of course, if Honda offers a Type R here, screw everything else. I'll buy that, eyes closed. So would a lot of vRS fans I assume.
The mileage factor depends of each persons driving style and the RS MIGHT have lesser FE cuz its got more power and is heavier. But certainly if u read the reviews of the RS on TBHP ull find better figurs. And lets face it, dont think many people got the RS for FE.

And maybe if the Civic TypeR is launched it can always have the Laura RS for competition

This is goin so off topic.. And even if the two cars are being compared, compare them without the modding factors like remaps and typeR's.

In stock form..
More features, more power, more of a drivers car - Skoda Octavia vRS
More comfort, more eye candy, more practicality - Honda Civic
Old 14th December 2008, 21:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The only reason that the vRS was discontinued was because skoda's diesel engines are far more popular due to their efficiency. That's the reason why the Laura was launched only with the diesel engine. More over the Laura was introduced with lower spec models like the Ambiente and Elegance which brought the price close to the vRS. This brought down the sales of the vRS and it was not feasible to still manufacture it as the diesels were doing better.
Your reasoning is the most logical, but what I still don't understand is that why are they selling the 1.8TPi even now.

Instead, if they'd have discontinued the 1.8TPi and kept the RS, they'd sell more nos. of the RS than what they are selling of the 1.8TPi as on today.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:08   #65
Team-BHP Support

Manveet true but I even I don't understand why they are still selling the 1.8TPi. I guess skoda is still smoking the same stuff.
Old 15th December 2008, 00:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
yes , the rear spoiler and the front air damn have reduced the cd , i think by .1 as compared to the regular octavia , there has got to be some funtionality in doin that , not just for the looks
Honestly I don't see how something that adds downforce, thereby generating drag, can reduce your drag coefficient. Likewise with wide open air inlets.
Old 15th December 2008, 01:08   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Isn't it amazing that a 1.8T engine which is 13years old can still beat the pants of the Civic which is a new gen engine.
I agree that the 1.8T engine is a great engine but I think it's unfair to compare a turbocharged engine with an NA engine. If the civic 1.8 engine was also turbo charged, I'm sure the equation would change.
Old 15th December 2008, 09:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Cant compare an existing engine with a hypothetical modification... Turbo engine internals are different than an NA one. So just throwing an aftermarket turbo on current civic engine wont be reliable option in the long term.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Even then, I was waiting for vRS laura. But unfortunately Skoda is smoking the same stuff. Hope by the time I buy me next car they will be out, but then it would be too late as competition would have changed
At least they should launch the diesel vRS, in this diesel savvy country, that would surely have been a big hit!

And ah Type R... Drool. I have driven it once and it very well lives up to it's brand.

Last edited by ST7677 : 15th December 2008 at 10:32.
Old 15th December 2008, 11:14   #70
Team-BHP Support

You also got to remember that VW no longer make the 1.8T engine except maybe in China. Since all the VAG cars are screwdriver kits, we get only what is made abroad
Old 15th December 2008, 11:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
yes , the rear spoiler and the front air damn have reduced the cd , i think by .1 as compared to the regular octavia , there has got to be some funtionality in doin that , not just for the looks
Oh, I think I missed this.

The Skoda Octavia has a drag coefficient of 0.31. You are saying that adding a spoiler made it 0.21 !!

We all like the the RS yaar, but yeh brand loyalty thodi zyaada ho gayee

As per Wikipedia - The average modern automobile achieves a drag coefficient of between 0.30 and 0.35. SUV's, typically achieve a Cd of 0.35–0.45. Certain cars can achieve figures of 0.25–0.30.

This is what a drag coefficient of 0.20 looks like ..
Attached Thumbnails
Why did Skoda discontinue vRS-opelecospeedster12.jpg  

Last edited by manveet : 15th December 2008 at 11:32.
Old 15th December 2008, 11:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

Yes, notice the lack of any wings, winglets or other drag creating bodywork here. Also note that the air inlets are minimal and not big open gaps in the bodywork.

I'm not saying the RS has a higher Cd than the regular Octy, just that I don't see how something with a rear spoiler and a wider open front grill can carve air more efficiently than the same car without those parts. Those body bits may very well be functional, but especially if they are, they will add to the drag, not reduce it.
Old 15th December 2008, 11:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

The above was a concept car. Almost no production cars today have a CD of less than 0.30.

The Ferrari F50 has CD of 0.372, Dodge Viper = 0.35, Toyota Camry = 0.28.

This article is an eye opener >
Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says that, and I quote - "Figures given are generally for the basic model. Some "high performance" models may actually have higher drag, due to wider tires and extra spoilers."

So the RS may actually have a HIGHER CD than 1.8 TDi !!!

Hahaha.

Last edited by manveet : 15th December 2008 at 11:51.
Old 15th December 2008, 12:18   #74
BHPian

guys i stand corrected , when i was given this bit of (mis)information by a fellow RS owner ,i blindly accepted it , with out actually giving it a thought , and with regards to the cd figures it was supposed to be reduced from .31 to .30 which i should have typed as .01 and not .1 ( trying to make a right of something wrong,lol) may be he meant to say the RS was more stable at high speeds , he is gonna get a thorough blasting from me!
Old 16th December 2008, 23:53   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post

It says that, and I quote - "Figures given are generally for the basic model. Some "high performance" models may actually have higher drag, due to wider tires and extra spoilers."

So the RS may actually have a HIGHER CD than 1.8 TDi !!!
That is exactly what I meant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks