Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 17:20   #481
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I wish Hyundai should now kill the Getz, which is supposed to be hardly selling. Having too many cars of too many generations seems to a Suzuki or American way of selling, and it has been proved that GM's losses could be reduced substantially if the message is clear and the product line leaner.

Heard of that famous tag line: I want Coke?? Which Coke: Coke Diet?? Coke Classic??? Coke Lite???. OK, give me a Pepsi.
Good example, and you may be wright in case of GM, but see how cleverly Maruti managing their products in b-segment! Alto, Estilo, Wagon-r, A-Star, and Swift - and each of them contributing handsomely too.

Old 12th January 2009, 17:21   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Another blind Hyundai praiser here? Swift ZXI offers all thse features except elec. side mirrors, for just 5.1 lakh on Delhi, as against 5.6 lakh of i20. Again, Swift has a superb 1.3L engine as against 1.2L of i20. Moreover, even though i20 enjoys the tax benefit and Swift doesn't, it is priced 50,000 above Swift. And 50,000 is a big difference in hatch segment.

We are forgetting one thing over here .. the space offered by i20 over swift.
That also needs to be taken in consideration..
Old 12th January 2009, 17:27   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another blind Hyundai praiser here? Swift ZXI offers all thse features except elec. side mirrors, for just 5.1 lakh on Delhi, as against 5.6 lakh of i20. Again, Swift has a superb 1.3L engine as against 1.2L of i20. Moreover, even though i20 enjoys the tax benefit and Swift doesn't, it is priced 50,000 above Swift. And 50,000 is a big difference in hatch segment.

Romeo bhai as such people have pointed out - what if Hyundai doesnt want to compete with Swift? I dont think it is a fair comparison. Swift doesnt exude same class (all it has is a good engine - that too is subject of lot of derision on lot of threads on this forum for being old/outdated etc). Swift can hardly be classed a luxury car (although it is loaded with features).
i20s competition is with the Fabias of this world. So far for a person out to buy a luxury compact hatch till now the only choice was Fabia. i20 is an option for such people now. And good thing is Hyundai has excellent dealer/service network even in smaller cities (somehting of a disadvantage for brands like Skoda, Honda etc).

Other potential competitors to this car are GP, Jazz but they are as of today not available in India so its pointless to talk about them.

As for pricing, people will pay for what they like. So for those who can afford, it is a prized possession. For others, a thing of envy/derision/whatever. As such "overpriced" tag can be associated with every car available in India. Why single out i20? I see quite a lot of Fabias around in Delhi/Noida so these kind of cars do have a future. Congestion is going to force people to go for smaller cars. Wait till Nano is launched. Where will you find space to park etc then? Dont super hatches sound better than cars like SX4 or City or Fiesta in that scenario?

And finally, Hyundai would have worked out that in few months they would invariably have to offer dicsounts (coz that is what all people want in India). Assuming even 5% discount (looking at i10) we can assume i20 is going to be cheaper by 25-30k after say 6 months. Is it a good price then?
Old 12th January 2009, 17:31   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
I don't understand why do we have to bash Fabia everytime we discuss the Swift or Getz or i20 etc etc.

Fabia is clearly not meant for a "average" hatch buyer. Yes it is overpriced, but I have yet to hear a Fabia owner complain about price etc.

Coming back to topic the ONLY flaw with i20 is the 1.2L engine. and that IS WHY it is being accused of being overpriced. but we have i10 'kappa' being accused of being overpriced inspite of having a better engine and features, so there you go.

I guess most who cry themselves hoarse over i10 being overpriced are the ones who wud rather prefer a discounted Wagon R than a clearly leagues ahead i10.

I would also like to offer another point of view

Also has anyone looked at profitibility?? The reason why Maruti kept its numbers in the last 6 months in face of i10 onslaught is by offering huge discounts (wagor R, Estilo, Alto and even Swift Petrol)!! when was the last time you got a "BIG" discount on a Hyundai hatch ?

Take hero honda and Bajaj for example - for years HH sold twice as many bikes, but Bajaj has better profitibility.

Cars DONT HAVE to be priced within 10000 rs of each other you know

Elito
Well said and absolutely correct. I think we are talking of real practical issues in the world of automobiles.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:44   #485
BHPian

Has Hyundai achieved 100% localization with the i20? I understand it is being manufactured only in India, but don't remember reading how much import content it has. With a pretty high level of localization, the i20 models could be priced lower without compromising on features.

IMO, it is being priced at current levels to accommodate Getz, plus get a "premium car" tag. I think Hyundai is throwing away a big opportunity with this pricing. And mind you, this is still an introductory pricing. I don't see them bettering the (already poor) Fabia numbers with this strategy.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:52   #486
BHPian

Quote:

You are correct. The capital involved in buying the car does matter the most in this segment, and the overpriced i20 fails in this area.

Why going so harsh dude ??? By the way, I suspect some blind Maruti praiser, , I see SX4 in your garage too. He was just putting his point forward.

To compare Swift Zxi and Asta, what one gets extra in i10 Asta is not just electrical ORVMs, but more things are

1. Better Built Quality
2. More Space
3. Bigger boot
4. Cooled glove box
5. Beige Interiors
6. Leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob ( im not sure swift zxi has or not)
7. Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
8. Rear AC cooling ducts.

Im not saying the i20 Asta is not overpriced, yes it is, but i want to say, it is surely more loaded than Swift Zxi.

PS : ORVMs are not only eletrically adjustable but electrically retractable too, which makes them of great utility.

Last edited by inferno : 12th January 2009 at 17:54.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:54   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Don't forget Hyundai brought something new to the segment with almost every major release. Remember Santro brought features like power windows, power steering, rear wash/wipe defogger to the small car segment. Maruti was forced to follow Hyundai there by adding these features to their cars. The top end model of newly launched A* still doesn't have rear wiper as std. Also Hyundai brought the first sub 10 lakhs crdi engine to the Indian segment. i10 s interior makes many upper class Maruti cars to shame. The Maruti is taking bits and pieces from SX4 and Swift to look their cars upto competiton. Here Hyundai has introduced features that are never seen cars below 10 lakhs, that too in a hatch. Also i20 is using the latest series of engine from the Hyundai. So it is a completly new car. Remember the Swift P uses a modified version of Esteem's engine.

Now other manufactures have to bring these features to the segment with a new engine. That is where the key is , i20 as it is sharing the engine with i10 will be cheaper of the new class of cars. Remember Maruti did the same the Swift - P and killed Getz.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:57   #488
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
why is it that the swift is not exported from India or have you seen the swift what is available abroad and what is available here? - believe me, its really different.
Yes, it is different. But Maruti is a clever player here and knows what average Indian customer (not the BHP-torque-performance conscious TBHP members) prefers. If Maruti build Swift with extreme quality, they may need to price it around the C-segment cars, and not many in India is going to buy it. So, they may be cutting the cost of Swift heavily! Hyundai also may be trying to cut the cost at the expense of performance! But then, they need to cut the price by another 50,000.

Quote:
If you have a chance to compare cars like Jazz, Bravo, Golf etc, you will understand where i20 belongs to and where Swift can be placed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
i20s competition is with the Fabias of this world.
But the ones going for these Honda, Fiat, VW or Skoda will never consider a Hyundai - brand does matter here.

Quote:
The issue is you need to think beyond Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
We are forgetting one thing over here .. the space offered by i20 over swift. That also needs to be taken in consideration..
Thinking beyond Swift means thinking of higher capacity engine and performance too! That space shouldn't be occupied by a car that aims tax exemption using a puny engine!

Quote:
Swift can hardly be classed a luxury car (although it is loaded with features).
If a car loaded with features is not a luxury car, then what, in your opinion, is a luxury car?

Quote:
Where will you find space to park etc then? Dont super hatches sound better than cars like SX4 or City or Fiesta in that scenario?
Yes, but super hatch means it should be super in all aspects - not only in price or features.

Quote:
Assuming even 5% discount (looking at i10) we can assume i20 is going to be cheaper by 25-30k after say 6 months. Is it a good price then?
Yes, i20 at a price of about 30K - 50K less is a good pricing.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th January 2009 at 18:06.
Old 12th January 2009, 18:33   #489
BHPian

romeomidhun mate swift has all the features which most of the brands are equipped. A-Star, i10, Zen Estilo. They are all luxury cars?

oh come on man, engine is not the only thing left on this planet for the cars. there are many other things which inferno mentioned above if i20 compared with swift in terms of features. can you find all the features mentioned in swift? ans. Big NO. Civic? partial but still not all. if you are getting more features in a hatchback which you are not getting not even in civic segment. i think we can use the word "LUXURY" for that hatchback.

How many people throttled swift in cities? i'm talking of the common man not any enthusiast. they love better low end torque for the cities with good mileage and good features.

As per Swift owners in here, swift lacks low end torque, i20 lacks in low end torque? too early to say but i bet low end torque is better than swift because of revised gear ratios in i20.

if one is getting loads of features, better built quality, better space with 50k extra for a common man. oh yes, but people do compare the price, so 20-30k less gonna be a killer price for i20.
Old 12th January 2009, 18:40   #490
BHPian

i20 is a new car while Swift is 5+ year old design. There are some people prefers a new car than a old design. That factor favours i20 I believe.
Old 12th January 2009, 19:23   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayasurya View Post
i20 is a new car while Swift is 5+ year old design. There are some people prefers a new car than a old design. That factor favours i20 I believe.
success of i10 may also favour i20. "i" series you know.

Last edited by Gangsta : 12th January 2009 at 19:24.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:22   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Swift Still sells 9000 units a month easily. Again lets not compare Swift With i20. i20 is not a major head turner IMO. It looks neat. I would really like to see sales of i20 after few months.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:25   #493
BANNED

Quote:
Even though Swift is a 5-year old design, it still looks refreshingly different than any other car in India. The success of Swift depends on its looks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
success of i10 may also favour i20. "i" series you know.
God bless "u" and this "i"

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th January 2009 at 20:29.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:29   #494
BHPian

Quote:
God bless "u" and this "i"
haha m already blessed. and it's indian janta's psychology. remember when estilo was launched what happened? maruti used the name of "Zen" which was better than estilo in terms of performance and mileage. estilo sold like a hot cake. Brand Name do matter.
Old 12th January 2009, 21:06   #495
Senior - BHPian

I've been following this thread for a while now, and some things don't make sense at all.

According to some people the Getz was supposed to be overpriced because it didn't have ABS, Airbags etc. Even though it was roomier, more comfortable, better built and to some, even better looking.

Now people find the i20 overpriced even though it's loaded enough to embarrass cars costing twice as much. It's an international model, launched first in India. It's better built than the Getz, which is saying something for a car in this segment. Initial reports clearly suggest the car has decent performance.

If the i20 is overpriced, what are cars like Chevrolet SRV, Skoda Fabia? Anybody with an open mind will see that the i20 is a VFM product. You get a lot of value for what you pay. Having experienced the car in person, I have trouble digesting opinions that proclaim any product such as this overpriced.

I see many play the numbers card to defend the competition. Sure the Swift sells 9000 units a month. Well, the M800 probably still sells more than that, so does that make it a superior car than the Swift?

Last edited by gunbir : 12th January 2009 at 21:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks