Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 20:31   #121
BHPian

Re: India's Worst Road

The parallel road to the BRTS lane in the Hadapsar, Pune section is very unsafe. Its undulating and from nowhere the concrete divider hits you without warning.
Old 1st February 2013, 00:16   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

My choice would be the Mangalore / Udupi stretch! Had a tough time both the times I travelled thru this roads, in a span of 4 years.

Another one would be Kabini road thru the jungle to Kerala. Not sure these roads have been worked on. When I went there in 2008, It took 2.5 hours to cross 40 kms or so.

Special mention to Kuthiran ghat sections in Kerala, between Thrissur & Walayar.
Old 1st February 2013, 00:28   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalva View Post
Another vote for Himachal. NH22 doesn't look like a National Highway at all

Rekong Pio to Gurgaon is amongst my toughest single day rides.

And someone told me to take my Baleno there thank god I didnt go beyond Mashobra
Old 1st February 2013, 13:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

Those are some captivating pictures of Himalayan roads. Already feeling the pull to go back again.

Half the fun would go if those roads were made better
Old 1st February 2013, 16:36   #125
BHPian

Hands down its Thrissur-Walayar-Coimbatore-Somewhere 300kms before Bangalore. Atrocious. I felt victimized traveling on these roads. I am not sure how NHAI authorities sleep during the night...wait...they are sleeping during the day, so its ok.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 1st February 2013 at 16:40.
Old 1st February 2013, 21:14   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Those are some captivating pictures of Himalayan roads. Already feeling the pull to go back again.

Half the fun would go if those roads were made better

Dada,

Everyone does not drive a T-Fortuner :-)
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:38   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Now, the prize goes to Batal-Gramphoo section in Himachal Pradesh.
Your post brought back memories of my 2011 Spiti-Ladakh trip. I had read about horrors of this road but experiencing it in flesh was a different thing. The nightmare began just after Losar, the "road" got narrow to such an extent that I thought I had strayed on a trekking route. And to make matters worse there was a guy with a backpack and a trekking pole on that "road" but fortunately I saw a truck but had to clear way for him and I got stuck on a rock and had my first fall. The road then kept on deteriorating. I recall that I counted atleast 27 water crossings ranging from small to medium and two absolute monsters which took about 45mins to cross. I absolutely hated it and kept on mumbling whilst riding "Never again! Never again I shall ride this godforsaken road". But I would love to go back again and would give anything to feel that misery and triumph that I felt after completing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalva View Post
Another vote for Himachal. NH22 doesn't look like a National Highway at all
Rekong Pio to Gurgaon is amongst my toughest single day rides.
I went there in 2011 monsoons and it was absolute madness. Like a slush fest from hell. IIRC you went there in the winter, right? I think we met at Mcdonald's Jabli. I was the guy wearing the riding jacket in the jeep. I think you and another rider (who stayed back at Narkanda) couldn't go further because of an avalanche or something.

I would like to mention that the Rani nalah stretch of Rohtang pass is absolute carnage. In 2010 it was a slush fest, I had to wait for about 6 hours before crossing. The first time I crossed it in 2010 it was absolutely fine but after being stuck in Keylong for 4 days I had to ride back to Manali because a friend got sick and within 4 days that stretch had transformed. I remember a cop stopped me just before this stretch and said "Cross it as fast as you can because loose rocks are falling". Heart in mouth moment but somehow managed. My co-rider had a bowling ball sized rock fall half an inch past his motorcycle. Two days later this stretch got even worse! And in 2011 I decided to skip it and take the long way to Ladakh. Some pics of the stretch

India's Worst Road-38267_144999175513544_4607491_n.jpg

India's Worst Road-38366_144999322180196_6905662_n.jpg

India's Worst Road-38366_144999338846861_2483435_n.jpg

And the Kiratpur-Manali highway near Barmana (ACC factory) is full of potholes which can swallow a car easily. The stretch is so bad that on my way back from my 2010 Ladakh ride, while overtaking a truck I hit a big pothole and heard a metal clank. In the rearview mirror I saw a shiny metal thing and a spring flying in the air. Stopped ahead and saw left side shocker was missing A trucker that I overtook stopped and said that your shocker is lying a few meters behind
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 23:47   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
I went there in 2011 monsoons and it was absolute madness. Like a slush fest from hell. IIRC you went there in the winter, right? I think we met at Mcdonald's Jabli. I was the guy wearing the riding jacket in the jeep. I think you and another rider (who stayed back at Narkanda) couldn't go further because of an avalanche or something.
Yessir sounds like me! You are the Thar offroader who was there with an engineer friend - right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks