Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 16:39   #1
BHPian

India's Worst Road

Guys,
After driving (3 cars over several years) around 2 lakh kms all around South India (with a few trips up north thrown in), and
After reading the travelouge of GQ drive of HVKumar & gang,
I was just wondering which road might have the dubious distinction of being the worst road in India.

I want all you guys to nominate your choice for the title: India's Worst Road.

We all have bad/horrible/hopeless streches of roads in our cities/towns.
Hence, let us stick to just National Highways/State Highways/Roads of Tourist or Economic Importance.

So guys shoot of your choices,.
I shall name my choice soon.

Mods: Hope I have started this thread in the right section, as Cars & Roads go hand in hand, this thread seems relevant in any section
Old 16th January 2009, 16:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow. I'm spoilt for choices. The MC Road stretch after Chadayamangalam comes to mind. On a recent trip I saw a Lancer's front suspension blowing up in front of my very eyes.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would say all "city roads". Highways are a bliss!
Old 16th January 2009, 16:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

shiradi ghats ( Between Sakleshpura - Gundya)
No matter how many times they repair the road , it just gets tharshed with in 2 weeks of time.
By the way this is one of the most scenic road too
Old 16th January 2009, 17:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Do not forget the ghat section between Virajpet (Karnataka) and Kannur! There is absolutely no road, just good old mountain rocks!
Old 16th January 2009, 17:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Do not forget the ghat section between Virajpet (Karnataka) and Kannur! There is absolutely no road, just good old mountain rocks!
Is this the place where the nepalese/burmese stay ?
I think I have been there in my M-1000 a long time back. I was expecting my front wheels to come off the car anytime. But the car survived.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:19   #7
BHPian

My choice is the State Highway road between Virajpet(Coorg) to Kerala border towards Kannur.
the road is ok on the kerala side.
To travel from kerala border point to Virajpet, a distance of 16kms, I took 4hours.
Now that I think about it, walking would have taken me faster

Last edited by GSMINC : 16th January 2009 at 17:21.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Is this the place where the nepalese/burmese stay ? ...
Am not sure about this info, EL. But I guess there is only one such place in India!

Even I had a horrible time - my Alto was jumping all around. Compound with fact that it was raining! The best thing was that my tire, which unfortunately had a weak tube, got puntured just before I hit this section! Cannot not imagine what would have happened otherwise! There was absolutely no way that you can even jack up since the surface was just plain rock which have more or less a smooth surface due to continuous water flow! Took 2 hrs for a 20km distance!!! Getting to even second gear was impossible. 1st gear all the way.

And in midst of all this, there as a KL trucker with a tusker on its back! Sight to be seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
My choice is the State Highway road between Virajpet(Coorg) to Kerala border towards Kannur.
the road is ok on the kerala side.
To travel from kerala border point to Virajpet, a distance of 16kms, I took 4hours.
Now that I think about it, walking would have taken me faster
Seems like we are talking about the same 'road to hell'. So that's two vote to this stretch.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 16th January 2009 at 17:23. Reason: reponding to GSMINC
Old 16th January 2009, 17:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

I can say with one-hundred-percent confidence that the stretch between Kaza and Gramphu - thats the PWD "maintained" connection between NH21 and NH22 - is absolutely the worst maintained civilian road in the country. Well, its a tough place, but the BRO seems to be doing a wayyy better job in comparison with the PWD.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Arent the condition of roads changing ? I mean bad raods today might be better tomorow and vice versa. So it might be a a bit misleading ..

anyway my 2 cents - around 5km stretch from Poonamalle highroad ( Lanson toyota ) towards Sriperumbudur was quite bad a year back
Old 16th January 2009, 17:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
I can say with one-hundred-percent confidence that the stretch between Kaza and Gramphu - thats the PWD "maintained" connection between NH21 and NH22 - is absolutely the worst maintained civilian road in the country. Well, its a tough place, but the BRO seems to be doing a wayyy better job in comparison with the PWD.
How about the stretch from Hoshiarpur to Una ? There is no road there. Just stones for kms and kms at stretch.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there is anything as WORST ROAD in India.
Here a good road becomes bad and then worse and then worst. And while we think its the worst another road comes up to claim that dubious title.
The GQ is only a very small part of all the roads in our country.

Quote:

You are cent percent right. This road deserves special mention in the WORLDS WORST ROADS. I wonder if it is a road. Vehicles just travel through a river bed. As punishment to those govt officials who are responsible for bad roads, all these guys should be rounded up put in a suspensionless vehicle and driven through that stretch. Im sure that will break them up if not wake them up.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th January 2009 at 21:11. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE to respond to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 16th January 2009, 17:49   #13
BHPian

The worst roads I have driven has to be the Mumbai to Vapi Highway during the last monsoon (only maharashtra part, Gujarat part was makhan). I Can recall I was driving my esteem which was grounded at least 30 odd times. I ended with a broken muffler and damaged rear wheel bearing. I also lost both my front mud flaps.

I remember seeing trucks with broken axels all along the road it seemed like a war zone. The roads were so bad that the toll booth had to shut shop for a month or so as everyone refused to pay toll because of the bad roads. This entire episode was in the news as well.

The road typically is a nice road with two lane highway and one can do 100 plus speeds on it. I guess there was some enquiry as well on the contractor but hey we live in India so by the time he gets punished (i.e. if) for his shabby work I might barely be able to read.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering the terrain, the fact that after the snow thaws every year the road have to be realigned, and the treacherous weather conditions, I think that is a dashed good road. Especially from Losar to Kaza, which is freshly tarred and in good condition in late summer. It is a wonder that the Kaza-Gramphoo road exists at all, hats off to the BRO which maintains it with so much of hardhsip.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

NH 53 between Imphal and Silchar - 270 kms - via Nungba and Jiribam is maybe one of the worst long highway stretches, no road. I took 5 hours to cover 100 kms of this famous gun-running road, so you can judge the condition of this so-called "road" which was more rubble and mud.

Not to forget the road from Ramanthapuram to Tuticorin via Sikkal and Kizhakarai, in TN, which was full of pot holes, the entire 100 kms I drove on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks