Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:07   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Had been to the XUV Mela in the morning. When I stepped into the showroom at around 11 there were around 40 people already checking out the 3 cars on display. Unfortunately, the W8 had went for a wash so could only manage to see W6. Following are my 2 cents:

1. The car looks good in Black and Grey. The bumper looks less hideous in these colors.
2. It has got immense road presence. It must be of the same height as CRV but looks much more aggressive.
3. The W6 has got the stereo and Bluetooth connectivity
4. The door panel was of good quality but the power windows etc switches on the driver side lacks outright quality. Suits more on the 5-7L car than on a 13L car.
5. The 3rd row is a practical joke. I am short 5'5 and still I could not manage to either enter or leave the seats. It has got very very less leg room. The boot is non existent while the 3rd row is in use. Its okay for kids < 10 years old that too just to roam around in city without any luggage. Its certainly a good 5 seater though.
6. The 2nd row has got a good legroom. I just fell in love with the 2nd row of seats with so much of legroom. A good to have thing for a weekend getaway.
7. The DRLS (Which they are not) looks good but I am not sure about their intensity. Like you can spot an Audi A4 at least from 500 m with those imposing DRLs.
8. Driver seat has good play but I guess the door is too close to my liking. Has got good leg room overall
9. As I am short 5'5, I could never see bonnet in my car (Punto) but today I could see at least 60% of the bonnet and it makes you very comfortable. I guess it would be easy to drive it in the traffic.
10. Taking reverse would be painful unless there is a provision for a camera. The left ORVM does not inspire much of confidence either.
11. The fuel lid is of a disgusting quality. You can play a drum with it in hand. It really sounds good . A direct pick from a Chinese toy.
12. The on road price of 2 WD W8 would eb 14,05***, while the AWD W8 would be 15L.
13. Though at places it lacks the quality, overall, I would say its a good VFM with respect to what you get in that money.
14. This is going to really take a pie out of cars which retail from 12-15L. After all everybody like to make a statement and whats better in this case than a SUV. Though I feel its strictly a crossover than a real SUV.
15. The test drives would start from Tuesday when their TD vehicle gets registered. I asked if they could send over the vehicle to my office and the sales guy said, it would take one month in that case. I can understand looking at the rush in the showroom.
16. The sales person claimed to have got more than 180 bookings in 3 days and daily its increasing. The waiting period would soon touch 4 months according to him.
17. The sales guys were really happy (Who would not be) attending everybody. as well as answering all my questions. The fellow was with me for around 20 mins until I told him that I know quite a bit about the car and you can attend somebody else. This is what I really miss whenever I went to the TATA showrooms .
18. One funny incident, there was a goon like person wearing a RayBan glares, telling his sons, he would get them one each so go and select colors. Well, the money is never biased. It goes to everybody no matter what the qualification is.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 2nd October 2011 at 15:11.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:14   #2447
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

As this is their first design of this kind it does look a bit loud. But I am sure with time the M&M designers will realize and make the car look more classy and grown up than in your face type. But for the overall effort I definitely give them a thumbs up!

Only one gripe with the exterior, The back somehow reminds me of this kind of plastic furniture:
Attached Images

Old 2nd October 2011, 15:31   #2448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
And why does the front end remind me of the new Jeep Compass?

Attachment 819647
Other then the vertical grill slots, there is nothing common. And vertical grill is nothing new for a Mahindra (probably because of it's Jeeps roots).
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:35   #2449
Team-BHP Support

I am still confused about the 4WD version. Is it

1) a part-time 4WD with low ratio like the Scorpio 4WD?
2) a full-time 4WD with low ratio and central LSD like Fortuner and Grand Vitara?
3) a real-time AWD without low ratio but with central LSD like CRV & Tucson?
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:47   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Other then the vertical grill slots, there is nothing common. And vertical grill is nothing new for a Mahindra (probably because of it's Jeeps roots).
I just put up a random picture in the post for comparison. Search for Jeep Compass 2011 and you will see more similarities in the front end.

I am not saying that they have copied the design, but there is a similarity for sure.
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:58   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Boot and 3rd Row Space

Let the pictures do the talking

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070882.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070883.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070884.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070937.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070938.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070885.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070930.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070931.jpg
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 16:53   #2452
Senior - BHPian

With the rear seats being used it has absolutely no luggage space for anything. Not good if you plan to hit the highways with 5+ people.
Old 2nd October 2011, 16:57   #2453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

2) a full-time 4WD with low ratio and central LSD like Fortuner and Grand Vitara?
I believe it is like the 3rd option. It's an on demand AWD system with no low ratio. It's fully automatic and not electrically selectable via knob or manual like the Fortuner.

One question I had was in such systems where they say the car behaves like a front wheel drive unless the front tyres lose grip in which case power is sent to rear wheels as well. Does that make it a true front wheel drive in most scenarios?

The Mahindra guy kept saying that under normal driving, 90% power is to the front and 10% to the rear as it's not possible to have 100% front wheel drive. Is that true? Can't the rear be diff be free completely?

I thought the CR-V had this option.
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:04   #2454
mxx
BHPian

Just finished watching 5-6 auto shows to check the XUV reviews. All were first drives, not full road test

There are only 2 negatives that was pointed out by all reviewers
1. Interior plastic quality
2. Gearbox notchy and not precise

Everyone said that body roll is minimal

Other points to be noted
Autocar says that there is a 4 wheel lock mode in AWD version
CnB show says that AT version will be coming soon.

BTW, I asked this before. Any idea if there is going to be a 170bhp version in future. All news articles before launch had said that there will be 140 and 170bhp versions.
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:12   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Well finally i booked it. It's Moondust Silver w6 for me. I dont need Mahindra's gizmo's as i have seen in scorpio too that many complain bout their reliabilty hence the less it is the better. Also it gives me the oppurtunity to add my own person touch like my 17-18" crome alloys, Better ICE, Stanley leather etc

I had the option to go through canteen as well and save a cool 1.5 lakh on w6 however i really cant wait to lay my hands on this hence buying it from outside market. No pain No gain.

How many here in Teambhp have already booked it?
I just booked mine... same as yours Silver :-) you when i checked with SR he said ICE cant be fit later on same is integrated with console. Please advice.. how you are going to manage that?
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:18   #2456
BHPian

Few Picture i am sharing here which i took today afternoon while booking, picture are taken from Black Berry hence not so good..
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:20   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

It is the 3rd type just like Vid also speculates above. The reps in the showroom are clueless though.

The brochure states this:
An intelligent AWD system that lets you tackle even off-road with ease. When stuck in mud or on a slippery surface, the Interactive Torque Management System automatically redistributes the torque between the front and rear wheels to manoeuvre the XUV500 out of trouble. This seamless transition from 2WD to AWD without any driver intervention gives you a level of handlinng prowess unmatched by conventional vehicles.

This is way different than imagined. And also leaves quite a few things to be understood technically.
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:30   #2458
BHPian

Considering replacing my Fiat Linea with Mahindra XUV500

I feel in love with the Linea back in 2009 and well the experience has been less than amusing.

I thought about keeping this car for 4-5 years but the new Mahindra XUV500 has sort of interfered with these plans.

I am now considering selling Linea and upgrade to XUV in the coming months.

The major problem is that I am not sure about the resale value of Linea.

Carwale and similar sites suggest that my car should have a resale value of just above Rs. 6 lakhs.

I would be sort of happy with this pricing. But I am not sure if these sites have proper weightage for the brands (Fiat cars are supposed to have bad resale value compared to other brands like Honda or of course Maruti).

I am not sure if this is the proper section for this kind of an advice. But I would like some feedback on what would be the best way to get the best value for my 2 year old Linea.

It is the top end diesel edition (emotion package). No accidents. Had minor incidents like some idiot scratched my car in a parking lot which required a complete paint work.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-problems.html

It was purchased in June end 2009. The car has just run around 20,000 KM.

I plan to go for the top end model again.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:01   #2459
BHPian

Can anyone provide the cost of accesories?
Also bhpians who have booked the xuv can confirm the delivery date.
I booked mine on friday,the SA will call me tomorow and confirm!
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:06   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
It is the 3rd type just like Vid also speculates above. The reps in the showroom are clueless though.

The brochure states this:
An intelligent AWD system that lets you tackle even off-road with ease. When stuck in mud or on a slippery surface, the Interactive Torque Management System automatically redistributes the torque between the front and rear wheels to manoeuvre the XUV500 out of trouble. This seamless transition from 2WD to AWD without any driver intervention gives you a level of handlinng prowess unmatched by conventional vehicles.

This is way different than imagined. And also leaves quite a few things to be understood technically.
ACI mentions about a lockable 4WD both in their video review as well as the write up. It could be an error on their side. I also remember in one of the reviews the reviewer mentioning that in 2WD mode (or model) there was some amount of under-steering, which indicates that in 4WD mode (or model) some amount of torque goes to the rear wheels at all times.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks