Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 15:14   #61
BHPian

Alternator came in Premier Padmini in 91 as far I know. The second day I bought my first Padmini in 2003 was a 1986 dynamo model used by a lady very rarely, so she had made the dynamo to charge the battery in a short interval of time. Without knowing this I took the car from Kottayam to Alleppey and from then to Ernakulam for a ride. Eventually after about a 50 Km or more the red alternator or the battery light appeared on the old type dash board, I though that it may be regular in this car, as it was a sunday no other workshop was open too. I went another 50 Km with the red light on.

On return the car started jerking slowly and to stop in a sudden, I thought may be Lpg nil, I try to start the car but of no use the battery went dead. Thanks to the people around came for help, I asked for a can to fetch petrol to the nearest pump. Got a can some how and manage to pour petrol into the tank.

Again tried to start the car, no use then four of them pushed the car and I at driver seat. The car started but with great effort as it was purely used in Lpg by the ex-owner. Around 6.30pm the car got in a runing position, but when ever I switch on the head light the car haults, again asked help and push-started the car. I came to know that car stop as I put head light on, but what to do I was on NH-47 cant go without light, nor keep the car on road.

Then followed truck and buses slowly so that I can manage to be on road with out head light, came to Alleppey 64 Km like this, driving behind trucks and buses.

But the story didnt end here, I was fresher in those days, next day I took the car to a road side electrician, he said the dynamo has burned and new one note available, so I have to get it repaired for Rs 2500, nearly the price of a alternator (2003).

Again same problem the battery did not charge, as it was adjusted for slow charging.

Then some one told me about alternator, that day I decided, I will make a perfect Padmini which can travel across India without haulting in a workshop, I wanted to show all the teasers who used to tell me mad who buyed a junk to travel from Alleppey to Kangayam for weekly basis.

Thanks to my critics without their cirtisism, my Padmini wont be the one whats it today.

Thanks to my critics without their cirtisism, my Padmini wont be the one whats it today.[/quote]
Attached Thumbnails
Ambassador, Premier Padmini Specs ??-image035.jpg  

Ambassador, Premier Padmini Specs ??-image013.jpg  

Ambassador, Premier Padmini Specs ??-image0030.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th February 2010 at 17:28.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Yeah Mehul 1100.. In every aspect of our lives, we learn only through our mistakes.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:38   #63
BHPian

Yes, Mr. Arun I agree and thank you for the support and effort you had put for Fiat comunity. Thank you is only word I know, which is insufficient for your effort.
Old 12th February 2010, 17:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Well we have done following Journey's in Uncle's 77 model Premier President/Padmini

Bhopal - Goa via Mumbai and Pune

Bhopal - Rajasthan - Agra - Bhopal

Bhopal - Jhansi

Bhopal - indore (innumerable times)

Plus a few small trips, some of them were eventful & some were not but we enjoyed all the drives

Anyways I think we are deviating from the topic here, so lets just stick to the technical specs discussion.
Old 12th February 2010, 22:38   #65
BHPian

We are not deviating from the theme, it just helps to add some extra bhp in ourselves to work for our team.
Old 12th February 2010, 22:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

There is a separate thread for Premier Padmini Technical Information. So its better we discuss such stories in this thread.

Amby guys are also not discussing anything about specs of Amby.

So let the thread go on as it is.

This was just MY opinion.
Old 12th February 2010, 22:59   #67
BHPian

[I totally agree to Mr. Arun`s view.
Old 18th February 2010, 17:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Nice thread but shouldn't it be in the antique/enthusiast section?.I for one will celebrate when the Amby is finally laid to rest and every time i visit Mumbai and sit in a Padmini cab i'd rather not describe my feelings or risk being infracted. Anyways, for those who love these two cars, i understand and respect your feelings and wish you enjoyment. They're just not my cup of tea and just thinking of the thousands of Indians who strove hard to afford these antiquated trolls on wheels makes my blood boil. What an injustice to the people of this country!.
Which other car offers a similar back seat comfort as the Premier Padmini or Ambassador, while still priced in the similar region? None, I guess.

Just a couple of weeks ago I had the chance to take a taxi in Mumbai and I was once again amazed at how comfortable the ride was. I have driven an M800 and a Santro on the Mumbai roads as well as on the highways, but they don't stand a chance when it comes to soaking up the undulating road surfaces which translate into a bumpy and bouncy ride in the backseat. But the Premier Padmini will hardly let you feel anything.

My uncle's first car was a Premier Padmini DX diesel. Now it's at least 15 years old and still going strong. It can still reach speeds of 90kmph. The engine was overhauled near the 1L mark. But overall it's still a very much working car.

I believe the Padmini had drum brakes all round, which once had me in an anxious moment. I had recently switched from the Padmini to driving a more modern car, i.e. the Fiat Uno. And when I had to switch back to the Padmini, I nearly rammed the car into the vehicle in front because I couldn't gauge the braking power correctly. Apart from this, it has never failed the driver.

Ah, the column shifts .....

Old 21st February 2010, 22:55   #69
BHPian

[quote=honeybee;1739866]Which other car offers a similar back seat comfort as the Premier Padmini or Ambassador, while still priced in the similar region? None, I guess.

I agree with your view, I have a M-Zen and a Premier Padmini S1, when going off-road I prefer Padmini, as she takes every kind of road with ease, and I never feel that I shouldnt be using my car here.

But in my zen, forget going off-road, I physically feel each and every stone it takes.

I am staying in a rural area, so I altered my zen height too for higher ground clearances, but still Padmini is most comfortable in off-roading.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:38   #70
Senior - BHPian

Since we already have a technical details thread on Premier Padmini & we have received most of the replies on Ambassador, this thread is closed.

Please continue all premier padmini discussions on This Thread

Thread Closed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks