Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 14:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Trying to torch the vehicle worth a million is all a stunt!! I have worked with M&M and i have seen numerous customers saying he will either leave the vehicle at dealership forever or will torch it and forget about it, or even gift it to Anand Mahindra!

There is no second thought that the dealership must assess the tempermant of the customer before hand and must nip the frustration in the bud. This is an art!

But having owned a TATA and a Mahindra i can say that when ever i go to a TATA dealership i get the feeling that iam in a ocean and no one is ready to even hear out my problems. They have many like me there, so no big deal. Where as in Mahindra people are ready to resolve the issue and dont let the matter escalate to torching levels!!

Indian manufacturers must elevate the service and manufacturing quality levels drastically. We dont hear torching scenes with Honda, toyota or even Suzuki. When TATA can surprise the world by its NANO as an engineering marvel, i dont understand why is it taking so much time to sort out its Safari!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 24th March 2009 at 14:23.
Old 24th March 2009, 14:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Is this a crime ? Burning your own car ?

Edit: I guess it is, since it may be dangerous to the surroundings.

Buy yes, it is a clear case of frustration with a manufacturer that has QC only on paper.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th March 2009 at 14:23.
Old 24th March 2009, 14:22   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Man, i read the title of the thread and wondered if it was Tsk!!
Naah... Tanveer would have quietly dropped his Safari off the nearest cliff in HP! We might just have impending changes in our motor insurance laws! Safaris won't be covered for damage/loss due to fire or fall from cliffs!
Old 24th March 2009, 14:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Guys,
Trying to torch the vehicle worth a million is all a stunt!! I have worked with M&M and i have seen numerous customers saying he will either leave the vehicle at dealership forever or will torch it and forget about it, or even gift it to Anand Mahindra!

There is no second thought that the dealership must assess the tempermant of the customer before hand and must nip the frustration in the bud. This is an art!

But having owned a TATA and a Mahindra i can say that when ever i go to a TATA dealership i get the feeling that iam in a ocean and no one is ready to even hear out my problems. They have many like me there, so no big deal. Where as in Mahindra people are ready to resolve the issue and dont let the matter escalate to torching levels!!

Indian manufacturers must elevate the service and manufacturing quality levels drastically. We dont hear torching scenes with Honda, toyota or even Suzuki. When TATA can surprise the world by its NANO as an engineering marvel, i dont understand why is it taking so much time to sort out its Safari!
But out those many who threatened to torch their vehicle, how many actually walked into the dealership with e petrol can? This guy did. I mean what if the dealership guys took this guy lightly and he actually lit it up?

Such an act can prove dangerous. I am sure there will be more update on this in coming days, will keep an eye and keep updating.
Old 24th March 2009, 14:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
It is a stunt when it is still a verbal threat.

This is a guy who has come prepared with petrol and is ready to set fire to his 12-lakh plus purchase.

C'mon dont write it off as a stunt - one can only imagine his level of frustration, regardless of how trivial the issue is.
Old 24th March 2009, 14:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
We dont hear torching scenes with Honda, toyota or even Suzuki.
A couple of years back in Thailand, I read in papers, that a Honda CRV was beaten to deathat the dealership by a lady owner who was frusturaed of the lemon!
Old 24th March 2009, 15:04   #22
Team-BHP Support

Good one may their tribe grow and knock some sense to these dealers/manufacturers. I wish there was some coverage in the vehicle insurance to cover lemons!
Old 24th March 2009, 15:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow. This is sad. What would happen if he torches it. He would have to bear the loss himself.

But I understand his frustration.

I will share an article with you guys later, (pretty long one) on how me and my wife went through mental trauma when a GM Dealer in Gurgaon (Apex Auto) failed to delievr my car on 4 occasions.

Will post all the details soon
Old 24th March 2009, 15:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

but the fact that the press was already there suggest that it might have been planned anyway
Old 24th March 2009, 15:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
but the fact that the press was already there suggest that it might have been planned anyway
THose dont look like 'press' quality photographs - probably one of the customer's relatives or friends or even one of the dealer staff with their camera phones?
Old 24th March 2009, 15:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is this a crime ? Burning your own car ?

Edit: I guess it is, since it may be dangerous to the surroundings.

Buy yes, it is a clear case of frustration with a manufacturer that has QC only on paper.
CRIME, Yes

Toxic fumes and pollution in the atmosphere for no productive reason.

One way or another, you are going to breathe the same air after all.
Old 24th March 2009, 15:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
It is a very interesting topic. What level would you go to if your new car has a problem and you dont receive any positive or helpful response from the dealership or the company?
Advertise & collect all defective vehicles and park them in front of the Tata factory in Pune & leave them locked there with a big sticker saying defective. That would definitely attract attention and loads of negative publicity.
harishsegar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2009, 15:14   #28
BHPian

I guess showrooms will have to start parking a Fire Engine permanently now. There will be many owners who would love to set their vehicle on fire, be it Maruti or a Tata.
I feel this is just a gimmick and/or a publicity stunt. What was a press photographer doing at the showroom when this stunt was taking place? The photographs seem to suggest that the guy was just threatening to set it on fire & might have actually not done so if he were just told to go ahead & do the same. Also why has this been reported on a day when all newspapers carried stories of the Nano & the threat that this car poses to all other manufacturers. Media industry is no more to be trusted.
This whole incident looks too good to be true.
Old 24th March 2009, 15:17   #29
BHPian

atleast the guy wasnt trying to self immolate , then it would have been
" reclaim WITH your life."
Old 24th March 2009, 15:21   #30
BANNED

Here we go again,

This man is protesting against the dealer, why does a safari or TATA's come into play.

He would have done it to a Endevour or Scorpio or even an Accord if he had the same issue.

This guys problem would have sorted out if he was on T-BHP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks