Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 23:48   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
My Vista has the darkest black possible, even if you come and stick your nose to the glass you cant see inside
But I travel in front of the cops day in and day out. I think the traffic woes are so much in Bangalore that the cops dont really care about it.
I just hope those tint meters dont come to Bangalore. I ve spent 1000 bucks for the film and want to use it for atleast a year.
Somehow I have noticed this too, tints are not very much on the cops minds' in bangalore! I had a nice "cool" car for a year until a couple of months ago when the the cops back home (in goa) decided to enforce the law and strip all the cars of their tints(you not only get fined - but they will happily get rid of the film for you !) All Bangalore guys do note this when you guys come to Goa.
Old 16th April 2009, 00:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

I didn't know that the guys, who travel in those darkest tinted glasses with their wives/girlfriends, never get out in open for the fear that some ugly vultures will ogle at their pretty wives/girlfriends. Probably they stay in their cars forever.

Pranav, just for sake of information, not all laws are formed by politicians. Do you think, hiding in car with tinted glass so that outsiders can't see you, is the essential personal freedom/liberty? May be I am wrong, but I am somehow not convinced that Ben Franklin meant so.
Old 16th April 2009, 06:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
I didn't know that the guys, who travel in those darkest tinted glasses with their wives/girlfriends, never get out in open for the fear that some ugly vultures will ogle at their pretty wives/girlfriends. Probably they stay in their cars forever.
Change the cars bit to "cars, home or workplace" and you have a "yes" from me. If it's anywhere else, I make sure to check the surroundings before I stop my car and/or let them alight.

Quote:
Do you think, hiding in car with tinted glass so that outsiders can't see you, is the essential personal freedom/liberty? May be I am wrong, but I am somehow not convinced that Ben Franklin meant so.
The right to privacy is. And for some reason, cops try to justify the laws by saying "if you haven't done anything wrong, why would you want to hide it?", which is a scary scary thought.

Last edited by pranavt : 16th April 2009 at 06:58.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think, hiding in car with tinted glass so that outsiders can't see you, is the essential personal freedom/liberty?
I think everyone has the right to be not stared and ogled (activities that cause discomfort to you) at, which is essentially what the dark tints help achieve. It is no freedom/liberty thing, but it is just to feel safe.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Its not about ogleing! Its about women made soft targets as well. Its about not letting fellow road users know who's behind the wheel. Its about security also.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Its not about ogleing! Its about women made soft targets as well. Its about not letting fellow road users know who's behind the wheel. Its about security also.
Oh yeah, knowing who is behind the wheels of the car next to you, in front of you etc also affects the driving style of certain Samaritans in India. Utter disregard for a lady driver/ old man driving etc are good examples.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good one

BTW... doesn't having the darkest of tints compromise the ability to see traffic especially at night? where some other bugger might also have dark tints and unable to see you ?

I have a wife too but I think my ability to see traffic supersedes the need for the darkest of tints for mine and HER safety; she understands that. However I do have those window screens which they sell at traffic lights and she uses it in a way so that it doesn't block view of the OVRMs.

A totally unrelated incident - a few years ago I was standing in the queue for security check at Begumpet airport (Hyderabad). As usual the queue was long and the process was slow as the baggage screening cop was taking a keen look (on his monitor) at almost every other baggage. I thought he should be doing that but others might differs; a person behind me definitely differed. Also, the mandatory screening for each person was also taking a little bit of time. Obviously nobody likes to wait stand in a queue but this person chatting to his friend comments something like "saale pata nahin kyoon itna drama karte hain.. logon (people) ka time waste karte hain" and the other agreed. I was shocked to see a well educated person (he looked like one) make such a careless comment!! I knew it there and then that if tomorrow (rhetorically speaking) he/his family were to be hostage in a hijacking case, he would be the first to blow his trumpet about the lack of security at airports & blah blah blah. I wanted to give him a piece of my mind but stopped maybe just to avoid a confrontation.

This thread reminded me of that incident.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

terrorism, hijacked cars, kidnappings, robbery, rape in cars, etc is what the dark tints are being used for.

those are some of the reasons why the law or the police wants to have less darker tints.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:18   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
terrorism, hijacked cars, kidnappings, robbery, rape in cars, etc is what the dark tints are being used for.

those are some of the reasons why the law or the police wants to have less darker tints.
I am using the dark tints to:
1. Avoid skin rashes, sun-burns.
2. Keep cool in summer.
3. Not feel conscious of myself at a stop-light.
4. Have a meal when time permits.
5. Catch a quick Nap, when time permits

and Not To:
1. Rape anyone. Me included.
2. Hijack my own car.
3. Rob anyone. Me included.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

My wife and even before marriage, my girl friends have never ever objected to me not having tinted windows. I personally hate those dark tints!
Old 16th April 2009, 14:53   #56
BHPian

Chandigarh police had those tint meters for ages.
I got a ticket using a tint meter 5 years ago.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:58   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
..why is there a separate meter for measuring Front+ Back and Side glasses. A meter is a meter, it would measure only the visibility. There is no reason to have 2 meters. Or is each meter calibrated to show Yes/ No reading as to whether the glass is compliant or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
DWind: Because the front and rear windscreens are much larger than the side windows
Dwind & Perakath,

Regarding size of glass, i dont think thats the issue since the meter probably needs just 1sq-in to test the film.

My guess is that the side window meter is a one peice meter that can clip over a half-rolled-down glass, whereas for the front and rear glasses - it is probably a 2-peice meter connected with a wire.

This is just my guess - i have never seen these meters.

However, to add to your point - who on earth puts darker tints on the front or rear glass (if at all!) than they do on the side glasses. I bet the cops could have just got by with the side-glass meters only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Oh yeah, knowing who is behind the wheels of the car next to you, in front of you etc also affects the driving style of certain Samaritans in India. Utter disregard for a lady driver/ old man driving etc are good examples.
Check this thread out - regarding eye contact & a more human interaction between drivers : Are towns really safer without traffic lights? | csmonitor.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
....This thread reminded me of that incident.
Well everyone raises a hue and cry about safety and security -- but as soon as it is them who have to go through the required checks it becomes "ridiculous"!

cya
R
Old 16th April 2009, 15:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My guess is that the side window meter is a one peice meter that can clip over a half-rolled-down glass, whereas for the front and rear glasses - it is probably a 2-peice meter connected with a wire.

This is just my guess - i have never seen these meters.
Rehaan here's some information on Tint meters

Tint Meters

Pics from Same site

Window Tint Meter for Roll Down Automobile Glass
Name:  pocketdect.gif
Views: 963
Size:  32.1 KB

Pocket Detective Window Tint and Reflectivity Meter (Window Tint Meter) For Use On All Windows
Cops cracking down hard on dark tints!-deluxepocketdetective.jpg Cops cracking down hard on dark tints!-deluxepocketdetectivekit.jpg
Old 16th April 2009, 15:14   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

However, to add to your point - who on earth puts darker tints on the front or rear glass (if at all!) than they do on the side glasses. I bet the cops could have just got by with the side-glass meters only.

R
Since the VLT requirements for the front/rear glass is different I think they would need both!
Old 16th April 2009, 15:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Chandigarh police had those tint meters for ages.
I got a ticket using a tint meter 5 years ago.
Same time period i escaped CHD police challan by paying 100bucks to the cop on highway. Had full dark tints then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
I am using the dark tints to:
1. Avoid skin rashes, sun-burns.
2. Keep cool in summer.
3. Not feel conscious of myself at a stop-light.
4. Have a meal when time permits.
5. Catch a quick Nap, when time permits

and Not To:
1. Rape anyone. Me included.
2. Hijack my own car.
3. Rob anyone. Me included.
Good one.
Many people here are in favor of dark tints removal. I dont oppose it or endorse it. I feel dark tints help in this scorching summer heat a lot.
Will prefer dark tints anyday(have very light tints right now as driving in delhi becomes a nuisance everyday with dark tints).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks