Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:08   #61
BHPian

After all, I have read about Skoda (worst after sales service, pathetic issue resolution times, fake parts, court cases, lemons) one would be nuts to touch this new model. No matter how awesome a 1.8 ltr turbo 160bhp engine sounds, I don't think any bhpian in their right mind would go for this car !!
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:13   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Traction control is an option where in you can switch it on and off right? i think jetta will be totally cannibalized.
impressive features for a 12 lac car!
yes Traction control can be switched off,it is on by default.
Old 22nd May 2009, 06:44   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
After all, I have read about Skoda (worst after sales service, pathetic issue resolution times, fake parts, court cases, lemons) one would be nuts to touch this new model. No matter how awesome a 1.8 ltr turbo 160bhp engine sounds, I don't think any bhpian in their right mind would go for this car !!
I agree. Which is why VW seems like a good alternative. And unlike Skoda and Benz, they offer an extended warranty.
Old 22nd May 2009, 08:32   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
I agree. Which is why VW seems like a good alternative. And unlike Skoda and Benz, they offer an extended warranty.
Well after reading GTO's thread about the reliability issues of the Passat, not sure if VW is also a good option.
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:20   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Well after reading GTO's thread about the reliability issues of the Passat, not sure if VW is also a good option.
yep vw is dishing out certified lemons too - i think the only place their (skoda/vw) vehicles work reliably is in germany or maybe europe, but definitely not india or US as we've seen from numerous cases!!

With all these lemons, so much for european build quality and even the best built cars will be eventual lemons if fake spares are used for maintenance.
So what are the euro options - ford, fiat, merc, hmm looks fairly limited

One look at the skoda site though and I fell for the awesome specs of this car, unfortunately impressive PR and tech specs don't replace stupid dealers and ill-doings
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:27   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Yeah and the new Laura 2.0 TDI PD has the same problematic oil guzzling diesel and the same unreliable 6 speed DSG box.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:01   #67
Senior - BHPian

I wouldnt want a car whose engine falls down while I am driving down the road and the dealer and the company care a damn.

Wont buy a car which stalls on the road (new car) after every few kms and dealer charges whopping amount for pickup and delivery + issue remains unsolved, dealer cheats, company is mute.

Other several stories are damn scary to think about owning their cars, its best to have a look at them at the showrooms and not in my garage.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:29   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho
I'm not digging the looks of the new laura... IMO, the old laura looked better. Maybe my opinion will change when I see it in flesh.

cheers
+1 to that ... I agree the older Laura had a much better looking front.

But would be interested in the 1.8 TSi to see how it differs in its feel when compared to the Superb 1.8TSi.

Its a shame that Laura 1.8 TSi would not have the goodies ...
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:10   #69
Team-BHP Support

1.8TSi would have been a perfect replacement to the vRS. Instead skoda screws it up once again by launching the petrol only in Ambiente trim.

Lets face it anyone buying the petrol 1.8TSi laura is not going to buy it for it's mileage. That guy is going to buy it for the performance. 160bhp and 6 speed manual. The guy is going to want the car for the performance and ofcourse he will expect features and will not mind paying a premium for it.

Skoda has got it all wrong. An amazing petrol engine on a good chasis but no features. The car has no climate control, no xenons, no electric seats, no leather, piddly 195/15" tyres, lesser spec multi function display, no parktronic and a host of other stuff missing.

This car should have been available in L&K trim and with the 6 speed manual as well as 7speed DSG.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd May 2009 at 13:12.
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:20   #70
Senior - BHPian

I suppose Skoda plans to see the how the response to sale is of 1.8TSI and than may be latter sometime in future launch the Elegance model with all the bells and whistles.
The motor is a gem though. Producing a healthy 255NM of torque at 1500rpm. How many petrol can do that. At the same time give a decent mileage.
I feel they should have atleast given the Xenons and climatetronic AC, and it does come with parktronic sensor at rear.

I feel spending 5Lakhs more over this and getting a superb is much worth it. You get all bells and whistles not present in the laura, along with awesome 7 speed DSG gearbox with paddle shift, acres of legroom comfort, looks more classy, all safety features.

For a true speed junkie laura should be doing the trick as many upgrade options to be available in future and it comes along with 6 speed manual gearbox. With easy turbo upgrade, remap, FFE, one can easily achieve 250bhp+ and that fantastic chassis. What more can one ask for.

Last edited by Invinsible : 22nd May 2009 at 13:31.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

all the features they have missed out on the 1.8 can be bought and fit in as an option right? then i guess it wont be much a problem for petrol heads.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:07   #72
BHPian

I think Laura TSI's pricing does make some sense. After all, a fully loaded TSI would have cost close to the Superb and that would have cannibalised its sales. Also, with a 12ish pricing they are gunning directly at Civic and Altis and also at Jetta. May be we'll see a fully kitted out vRS version some time in the near future. I think enthusiasts would any day like a vRS badge on their Laura than an L&K!
And now it's interesting to see what happens with the Octy. If it comes down below 10L that would also mean Fabia Tdi price needs to be revised!
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:39   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Another thing one will miss is the amazing 7 speed DSG in the 1.8 TSI (same as Superb).

Also note the fuel economy on the DSG is better than the manual 1.8 TSI in the UK driving cycle (Source: Skoda UK).

Attachment 138389

Attachment 138390
that's a good thing in case you want a remap - and the TSi can be remapped quite a bit , hence manual is a tad better in terms of reputation for remaps

on another note, the 6 speed DSG is better in handling more torque and is slightly less complicated than the 7 speed DSG..

Last edited by babhishek : 22nd May 2009 at 16:43.
Old 22nd May 2009, 17:48   #74
BHPian

The new laura now looks more complete. It looks much better than the outgoing car. The new headlight are really beautiful.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:11   #75
BHPian

The pricing looks absolute killer ( looks too) and this with probably better A.S.S the car should be able to give Civic a run for its sales.

P.S I own a skoda for 2 years but never experienced any problem in service, probably lucky me
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks