Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2005, 20:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hasnt this topic already been discussed before? I think i remember seeing a topic on similar lines some months back.

Drifter
Old 18th June 2005, 02:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

guys we indians (me included) are "laaton ke bhoot" and we will not chage with "baatien"
we all behave ourselves when we drive in a foriegn country dont we? why not here?
coz the law is too cool.
increase the fine to 1000/- minimum as if one wants to get away, his bribe will be also not less than 200-300 bucks (ouch)
minimise the taxi and auto rickshaw permits
these are the guys who need training so give it to them
dont issue licences till they are through with their orals and road ettiquettes
and for heavens sake get the cabbies to park proper and not 30 feet away from the foot path (can anyone tell me why they do this and what is the logic behind this)
in short law guys get STRICT.
Old 18th June 2005, 03:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
I drive further, to find 3 trucks blocking the complete 3 lane road, one at 9kph, 8kph, 11 kph each, trying to overtake each other, All other traffic, capable of doing 3digit speeds are just following these idiots.
8, 9 & 11 kph indeed! This one makes me laugh out loud...out of frustration more than anything else. Very true.
Old 18th June 2005, 03:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

my father had told me almost the same thing which revtech's father told him

it is really sad
the thing which makes me nuts is the padestrians walking on road almost in 3rd lane when there is a completly good/clean footpath available & whenever at signal just as signal is about to go green some kid/old person jumps in front of vechical & takes forever to move (by that time its red signal again) all this while padestrian signal is working
and also people talking on mobile & walking as if roads are dead empty

//end of ranting

the only realistic option to resolve this issue is to
educate people, hope & pray that situation will improve

ps: there was a program on Discovery some time back regarding traffic issues there the host said an interesting thing
"In bumper to bumper traffic everyone wants to go somewhere while the problem is there is not enough place to go.."
Old 18th June 2005, 12:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
"just think everyone around you doesnt know how to drive.while driving in your own lane expect them to suddenly change lanes for no reason expect them to cut you , to turn without giving signals, to suddenly stop unexpectedly , to just come out of a parking spot without looking, to break a signal at a busy intersection."
This is what I want to write
Old 18th June 2005, 15:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticore
Hey Burnt, I guess you're generalising M800 people. I drive an M800 here in Delhi, and stick to the rules as much as everyone else does. When in Rome...get the drift? Fact is, Delhi's got to have the trophy for the worst driving conditions ever imaginable, and even people driving Mercs, Beemers and other expensive cars drive exactly like the people in much smaller cars. Their only gripe must be that they cannot squeeze their cars into tight spaces. Maybe you've had bad experiences with small car drivers, but please do not generalise. Making divisions based on cars is similar to making divisions by caste.........it can lead to flaming and unwanted stuff. I hope you take it in the right spirit dude, no offence meant.

Cheers,
Manti.
i am not against M800 or the people driving those cars.......i am just saying that if your machine is not capable of doing what u want from it...why piss others off by jumping into right lane...zig zag...coming in the way and stuff.....

imagine a 1987 800( or a fiat,a laden truck or any other incapable machine..totally general comment..no focus on a particular vehicle) moving ahead in the right lane at 10 kph ....

driving at your leisure and not giving a pass when the road ahead is empty..or talking on a stupid phone while driving....these things piss me real bad... be it a luna super or a maybach..i will react the same...

P.S: sorry if that hurt u...was not meant to hurt
Old 18th June 2005, 18:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
Hey, Chill mate. You dont have to feel sorry....I thought maybe you were generalising people. I totally agree with you....here it's like in the US, where slow moving traffic sticks to the RHS. When you honk, they dont even budge, leaving you with no other option but to overtake on the left. Cheers and drive safe.

Manti.
Old 20th June 2005, 11:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

IMO, driving in India requires a different set of skills than driving elsewhere in the world. Here we are presented with conditions that western drivers encounter only in video games, only here the stakes are real. We got to constantly stay alert, and always should be prepared for absolutely anything. In most countries, a driver is supposed to pay attention to only the car upfront and the road ahead. In Pune, 5 out of 10 drivers are complete idiots and have absolutely no discipline. Hence the other 50% are also forced to adapt.(When in Rome...). Indian drivers are real good at not hitting anything (or anyone) else while keeping their vehicles pointed in the right direction.
Old 20th June 2005, 16:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
IMO, driving in India requires a different set of skills than driving elsewhere in the world. Here we are presented with conditions that western drivers encounter only in video games, only here the stakes are real..

yeah..the stakes are real..

Quote:
Indian drivers are real good at not hitting anything (or anyone) else while keeping their vehicles pointed in the right direction.
Isnt it an achievement day in and day out we keep doin this..
Old 20th June 2005, 16:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Pune, 5 out of 10 drivers are complete idiots and have absolutely no discipline
make that 9 out of 10
or may be nine & three fourth
Old 20th June 2005, 17:14   #26
BHPian

this thread made me think as to why we take all this bull**** from ppl (read politicians) who live on taxpayer's money.

they collect all kind of taxes and that too for life time and i dont know what they do with it.

the roads here in mumbai are dug up all the time by one service provider or the other and not even taking pains to fill it up properly.

everybody is in a hurry to reach his/her destination and as a result of the frustration becoz of traffic jams, ppl start driving like maniacs. being fast is ok be it a 800 or a merc but the driver should not be rash and drive without thinking of anybody's safety. when you are a driver you have certain responsibility towards each and everyother person on the road. Ignore that and sometime you will surely repent that u did ignore. so it is always better to be safe then sorry.

shubbhi
Old 20th June 2005, 17:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, driving in India requires a different set of skills than driving elsewhere in the world. Here we are presented with conditions that western drivers encounter only in video games, only here the stakes are real. We got to constantly stay alert, and always should be prepared for absolutely anything. In most countries, a driver is supposed to pay attention to only the car upfront and the road ahead. In Pune, 5 out of 10 drivers are complete idiots and have absolutely no discipline. Hence the other 50% are also forced to adapt.(When in Rome...). Indian drivers are real good at not hitting anything (or anyone) else while keeping their vehicles pointed in the right direction.
Agree with you totally. Many a times my colleagues come in from the US and if I am to drive them someplace. Often they mistakenly walk over to the driver's side and I would then offer them the car keys. Always they would shudder and say "no way" & "I am lucky you are driving, I am sure to hit someone in less than a mile" etc.

Years ago when my dad taught me to drive, he gave a simple advice " guard against the other person's mistake". I can't say I have followed it all the time, though.
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:39   #28

I made number of visits to USA and I drive both in India and America. What I believe is that, tomorrow even if we have the infrastructure better than USA our traffic jams and trafiic conditions are not going to improve. The simple reason is because we have no descipline at all in driving. We become a disciplined driver in USa but here we become very indesciplined and arrogant. We always complain about our infrastructure, bad management...but if we have to improve and develop every individual has to improve himself in all the aspects. That will make us great.
Final thing... If you can drive in Indian cities you can drive at any part of the world...
Old 25th June 2005, 12:36   #29
BHPian

Well, most of the points here are quiet true, and most of the indians are horrible drivers, very bad.

I have lived in Melbourne, for around 5 years, and been driving there lot. Living and Driving there, i have learnt the correct way to drive, and there i never broke a single law ( did a couple of times, that was Speeding, that too have stopped later on)

Initially when i came back to India last year, i tried my best to drive jus as i drove there, but then it finally dawned me "do in rome as the romans do" because, if i wait to give way to someone, its like, i have made the biggest mistake of my life! people just rush in, not thinking , not waiting to thank the person for his generosity, but infact, they act as if the attitude "see, i finally snatched the road from u, duffer. now u wait while i pass"!

even now, i never break the basic rules, always put indicators, try to maintain lanes as much as it seems sensible, and do give way to pedestrians.

Well, the population here being so huge, and space so little, i doubt we can have a traffic like in the western countries, anywhere in the next 50 years!
Old 26th June 2005, 02:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
i am not against M800 or the people driving those cars.......i am just saying that if your machine is not capable of doing what u want from it...why piss others off by jumping into right lane...zig zag...coming in the way and stuff.....

imagine a 1987 800( or a fiat,a laden truck or any other incapable machine..totally general comment..no focus on a particular vehicle) moving ahead in the right lane at 10 kph ....

driving at your leisure and not giving a pass when the road ahead is empty..or talking on a stupid phone while driving....these things piss me real bad... be it a luna super or a maybach..i will react the same...

dude I have 2 1985 maruti 800's one is a ****pot and the other 1 is an absoloute rocket on the streets i regularly touch a 100kms/hr on marine drive while going to college in the mornings so please do not generalize m800 drivers as such.further more i also have a 98 Sl 320 and a E220 cdi amongst various others my dad is in the car business . I am a decent driver otherwise I wouldnt be able to drive those cars so please spare me the nonsense I have a very close friends who have a lot of expensive cars- Lexus SC 430, porsche 911,RS ,S class etc etc the list is endless and they drive just as stupidly as the next guy so please dont say m 800 drivers are bad.Every single person on Indian roads (with a few mind you few)exceptions is a maniac .

Last edited by byramshroff : 26th June 2005 at 02:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks