Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2005, 16:18   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
@Camry:
1. Please don't generalize on Indians. Constructive criticism is fine but cribbing is not.

2. Choose the best apple buddy, instead of giving this lame excuse.
Once u start giving importance to things like righteousness, politicians will oblige.
(they are turn coats remember, maybe they turn righteous ).
Don't abuse your right by not using it and then start complaining.

3. Hey man my comment was directed at dictators for what they are.
If u take it personnel, then man its ur problem.

4. I gave the example of London for unplanned because of this comment
"as we are very very unplanned and haphazard development going around".
And I never said London is "Undisciplined".
Btw I am in Singapore currently and I think I know the difference.
Hey, everybody wants a better India. I would love to argue more but it will degenerate into a non-forum topic discussion. So its best to leave it here.
Old 27th June 2005, 16:24   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
Hey, everybody wants a better India. I would love to argue more but it will degenerate into a non-forum topic discussion. So its best to leave it here.
I agree, lets stick to automobiles

PS: I hope I convinced atleast one guy to vote.
Old 27th June 2005, 16:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, lets stick to automobiles

PS: I hope I convinced atleast one guy to vote.
I've voted in three general elections for who I believed will do more good.
Old 27th June 2005, 17:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
When I finally managed to take a right turn, I decided to give him a taste of his own medicine. I just let him overtake me and when he did so, I started honking at him furiously.
In the absence of the luxury of searchlights, I do either of the following two:

1. Flick the dipper at an oncoming moron (can't refer to them in any other terms .. the others wont be fit for the forum) .. if she/doesn't comply by lowering the beam , I aim and drive straight at the car with my high beam blazing for the last few metres and then swerve away .. sadly, in most cases, when the car passes me , the driver seems unfazed .. they are so b****y used to driving like that .. or maybe they just don't care if part of the road in front is not visible ...

2. If the moron is behind me, I try to indicate my displeasure by covering the rear view with my palm (am pretty sure that action is visible from behind) .. if that message doesn't get across then I let him/her pass, I switch on the high beam and follow the car REAL close ! So deepakhon I'm there with you on that one !
Old 27th June 2005, 18:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I decided to give him a taste of his own medicine. I just let him overtake me and when he did so, I started honking at him furiously. I managed to irritate him enough for him to signal me to overtake me.
Not all the guys on the roads are going to behave like that. Do you feel that this guy will realize his mistake upon what you had did for him and will keep away from doing that? I do not think so

Just let that idiot to move away. Iam not saying that we should not get frustrated, but we should act on our frustration.

From the other prespective we do not know in what situation he was in.

That's my view on this.
Old 27th June 2005, 18:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
In the absence of the luxury of searchlights, I do either of the following two:

I aim and drive straight at the car with my high beam blazing for the last few metres and then swerve away .. sadly, in most cases, when the car passes me , the driver seems unfazed .. !
Man, that's a pretty dangerous thing to do. Anything can happen. I understand how irritating it is but...

Drive safe!!! We have loved ones at home.
Old 27th June 2005, 18:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Not all the guys on the roads are going to behave like that. Do you feel that this guy will realize his mistake upon what you had did for him and will keep away from doing that? I do not think so

Just let that idiot to move away. Iam not saying that we should not get frustrated, but we should act on our frustration.

From the other prespective we do not know in what situation he was in.

That's my view on this.
I respect your view and would behave exactly like what you have said about 99% of the time. But sometimes this just happens.

I reckon he wouldn't have been in any urgent situation because of the following reasons:
1. When I started to give him the taste of his own medicine, he offered me way to overtake. If he was in any hurry, he would not have done it.
2. He was not driving fast either.

I could not have let him go because there were vehicles coming in the opposite direction and there was no way I could move. I had to wait for the vehicles to stop. If someone just keeps on honking for whatever reason, how can I give him way by endangering my and my wife's lives? I dont think it is worth taking so much of a risk just because someone wants it. Infact, that is what really pissed me off.

Ofcourse, I am not defending my behaviour of giving him his due, but it sometimes happens.
Old 27th June 2005, 20:13   #53
Team-BHP Support

With most night vision rear mirrors your trick would be useless. I have night mode in my indica, so its not a problem, unless i use side mirror, in that case i slow down and make it hard for the moron to pass me.
Old 27th June 2005, 21:12   #54
BHPian

Guys, you are guilty of First degree road rage!!...
Old 28th June 2005, 12:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, you are guilty of First degree road rage!!...
I agree .. will not defend my actions ..
but as deepakhon mentioned it happens rarely .. and in my case the frequency of occurrence has reduced considerably over the past couple of years .. more often than not I try to get out of the way ..

and I generally drive pessimistically .. ie assuming unpredictable behaviour from all around .. that is a habit I developed from my childhood bicycling days ..

I believe throughout my total riding (cycling, scooter, bikes) and driving experience of 18yrs, that has been the reason I have had just one accident .. 13 yrs ago on a scooter, when I took an optimistic view of the another driver

touch wood ..
Old 28th June 2005, 13:03   #56
BHPian

Yes, if someone gets under your skin with their inconsiderate driving, dumb things do happen from the sanest of drivers. I don't blame shuvc for his adrenalin rush.

Its a very natural reaction to the "injustice" that most good drivers have to tolerate because of such crass driving. However, its better for everyone on the road if we don't get provoked easily and do something terribly stupid !!
Old 28th June 2005, 15:08   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

and I generally drive pessimistically .. ie assuming unpredictable behaviour from all around .. that is a habit I developed from my childhood bicycling days ..

You got it right. This will keep away from taking any unwanted risks whatever the situation may.

You have a very good track record in driving
Old 28th June 2005, 16:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that is driving with a high beam (and at times even when parked) !

I've often daydreamed of installing 2 electronically and internally adjustable searchlights on my car .. on the roof .. one facing the front , one the rear ..
and then the moment I spot one of those morons heading at me or burning up my rear view mirror .. I switch them on and let them have it ..

Regarding taxis parked '30ft' away from the kerb .. they shouldn't be fined .. the police should just walk up and smash their headlights/windscreens .. as a matter of fact , that would be the most potent deterrent to all the lawlessness .. fines will never work in India ..

yes i have to agree with you.for some wierd reason i see so many idiots driving with their high beam in city limits know that it is disturbing to the cars coming in the opposite direction.specially taxis !!i dont think they know the diff between low and high beam.they just feel high beam is more poweful (according to them ) so it must be used all the time.what i normally do is flash my high beam repeatedly to indicate to them that their high beam is on.some of them switch to low but to those who dont i put my lights on high beam and give them the same treatement.

and dude about the cops smashing the taxis....let me tell you it will never happen because thats where they get maximum money from.all day they go around and take bribes from cab guys for stopping in a no halting zone and they definitly take bribes and i have seen them slipping 20 rupee notes slyly into their pockets very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
I think the Fines should be imposed more heavy to more costly cars...

for example, Rs.100 for a "Parking in No-Parking Zone" ... how much would it affect a person owning a pricey car! ? he wudnt even be bothered about it, and wud rather pay the 100 and just park it in the no parking zone!

the costlier the car, the more hefty the fine should be! say like, Rs.1,000 for a skoda owner, Rs, 2000 for a Honda Accord owner, and Rs. 10,000 for a Merc C Class owner. unless the Fine pinches one, they dont understand the importance of not breaking a rule.

i once paid AU$200 while i was driving at 83kmph on a 80 Zone! that pinched me like someone piched my back hard! n after that i never crossed the limits.

about your theory of more expensive car owners should be fined more i absolutely do not agree with you.i am just 18 and drive my accord.IF BY MISTAKE I PARK IT IN A NO PARKING ZONE YOU THINK I MYSELF CAN AFFORD TO PAY Rs 2000 just like that.now dont say just because i cannot afford to pay a 2000 ruppee fine i shouldnt be driving my accord.what im trying to say is that mistakes happen.a merc owner could park in a no parking area by mistake doesnt mean he has to pay 10000 bucks just because it was a merc.

infact what should be done is , arecord should be kept and every time you break a rule you pay a slightly higher fine so those whose who break rules often pay a higher price.they are the ones who deserve to pay a higher fine for breaking rules now and then.whether that person drives a maruti 800 or a mercedes the fine should increase with every offence.and if then he cant afford to pay he wont break rules...guess that makes more sence.

Quote:
I had this incidenct recently. I was taking about to take a right turn and I also indicated likewise. I was waiting for the traffic from the opposite direction to recede after which I planned to move. But a sumo guy behind me was honking at me furiously. I assumed that he was also planning to take that right turn. Ofcourse, he was not indicating. I gestured that I will wait for the traffic to recede, but the honking just continued. I really got pissed off. When I finally managed to take a right turn, I decided to give him a taste of his own medicine. I just let him overtake me and when he did so, I started honking at him furiously. I managed to irritate him enough for him to signal me to overtake me. But I deliberately did not accept that offer. Instead, I kept on honking at him for quite a while. Then I decided that the guy might have learnt his lesson well and just became a good citizen again. I generally maintain my cool, but sometimes I really enjoy kicking these peoples' b**t just for the heck of it.

that is another very common thing that happens.specially while taking U turns.the uneducated fools honk continuously so that you move and make the traffic coming in your direction and stop so that your higness can take your U turn.they think that they own the road and that they are doing a favour by allowing others to drive on the road so thats why the others should stop for them and let them pass when ever they desire.whenever they see little space they try and shove in so they can go before you.they do not have patience or any road manners or discipline to allow the traffic to pass and then go.if you notice an owner of a big car will not do such a thing but the driver (specially when hes alone ) will.the difference is education.

But sorry to say nothing much can be done about all this.we are educated so we drive the way educated people do but they arent !! how much ever we try and teach them they will never learn.so its pointless.just expect the unexpected while driving in india and you have a car free of scratches and dents.

Rev
Old 28th June 2005, 16:58   #59
BHPian

this is to Conan, & RX135,

what i mean by dictatorship is that yea, i am pretty frustrated by the way our Polititions are doing their work, and i kinda dream of some good dictator coming and kicking their backs, setting them straight, and going away, while in all my senses, i do know this is not a solution to our problems, but just a wish which will never be true. so yea, please dont get worried that my wishes will come true and harm be brought to u.

secondly, i am an indian, with PR in australia, but thou i have taken permanent residency, i opted to settle in India, coz thou India has a long list of faults, it does have things which i prefer more than the faults here. so i am a happy n proud to be an indian, with a positive attitude that the country should develope and excel...

Lastly, we should acknowledge the faults in our country, and not just put it off as "some egoistic indian not liking it here or some snobbish NRI's comments". Coz if we think we are faultless, that wud be our biggest fault.

jus my 2 cents.

life is to enjoy!
Old 28th June 2005, 17:06   #60
BHPian

@ REVTECH:

Bro, i dont mean to say that if u are not able to afford to pay 2,000 as a parking fine, u shouldnt drive an Accord, what i mean is, the fine should be such taht it pinches the person. what is a FINE? its a Punishment. if you ask a body builder to do 100 situps, its not a punishment to him, if u ask a lean, weak person to do so, its a punishment to him, coz it hurt him. its to tap him on his head and point out that hez been wrong.

i hope i have cleared my point. REVTECH: i am sure a rs.100 fine wont pinch u a single bit while u can afford to own an Accord. ( its adifferent thing that you are not into ur business now, and live off a very stringent pocket money and have to pay that fine off ur pockets, not from ur dads. ) coz if Rs.100 as fine mattered to a person driving an Accord, he wouldnt be buying an Accord (considering the high costs to run the vehicle.

thats my point!

infact, in one country (cant remember the name, but it came in the papers some time back)_ that some bigshot was fined some thousands of dollar for speeding lot more than the speed limits.

when i paid my $200 fine, i was like! what the hell, i cud have rather bought bought another CK/ Guess jeans at that price! if only i hadnt broken the law!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks