Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Has the fuel hike affected your driving style / pattern
Yes 151 39.12%
No 235 60.88%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 21:49   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Does the fuel price hike affect your driving pattern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Now let us assume the prices are at 80 per ltr, with the same running it would come up to 6200. I don't think INR 1000-1500 per month is a big amount to start making noise
Buying a car is a long term commitment and fuel expenses are just a part of it. As an owner, you are subjected to ‘loot’ at every individual point possible, not just at the petrol pump. Costs of things like insurance, maintenance, spare parts and tires have shot up tremendously over the past 3-4 years. We are charged hefty and ever increasing amounts of toll for the roads. Parking charges have shot up. The challan amounts have increased by 10times, and harassment by cops has also increased in step.

It is the combined whammy of all this which is pinching, especially to frequent long distancers like myself. Same car as 5 years ago, but the cost of using the car has increased by 35-50%.

Driving used to be a joy. The fact that we know have to consider a financial angle to it is sucking the joy out of it. It’s now more of a chore.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 22:03   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

It is the combined whammy of all this which is pinching, especially to frequent long distancers like myself. Same car as 5 years ago, but the cost of using the car has increased by 35-50%.

Driving used to be a joy. The fact that we know have to consider a financial angle to it is sucking the joy out of it. It’s now more of a chore.
Long term ownership of the car is the best way to extract/save up !!
Insurance premiums cost only a fraction and you beat the depreciation factor. I consider selling a car within 5 years as much worse than say paying 200Rs. for petrol.

Even a premium hatchback today costs over 10L, a price at which one could buy a Toyota Innova !!

Coming to long distance touring, I too enjoy the same along with my family and I always felt that self drive is the cheapest option(compared to taxi/bus/train/air fare). Prices have increased no doubt, but so has the avg indian spending power.
Old 16th March 2021, 22:32   #168
BHPian

A big No from me . What we would save by changing the driving style for a month can be done by giving up a visit to the restaurant.
Old 16th March 2021, 22:52   #169
BHPian

Voted No.
Driving/riding is now only for leisure instead of work plus leisure due to work from home. Also, only day trips are in focus since the pandemic has kicked in. I haven’t eaten outside in more than a year now. So, multiple options to reduce cost and splurge on that leisure ride/drive.
Old 17th March 2021, 00:03   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Before someone points at aam admi, well the aam admi in our country mostly drives 100cc bikes that returns over 60kmpl. So even at 1500 kms per month, the difference only comes to say 500rs increase.
And to add, this same aam-aadmi would have spent a few hundred at the bar on his daily fix. Petrol or no petrol, he will often make sure he gets that, even if he has to fill in only 50 Rs worth of petrol in that 100cc bike - enough for his commute for the day.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 00:15   #171
BHPian

Oh man, this thread was created way back in 2005, surely stayed relevant throughout the 1.5 decade. Especially now that we are seeing atrocious hikes on fuel prices. Definitely now the prices have made me change my driving style albeit minimal. Short trips are taken in an auto or Ola. It's a mix of many changes, parking and traffic hassle and commercially it's not very viable to drive around for such short trips. For long journeys, it hasn't made much of a difference. Car has and will be the primary mode of transport for long journeys for me.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 08:33   #172
Senior - BHPian

Unlike many of you guys, we all fight for the scooter at home! It makes you feel less guilty to ride around considering 40kmpl is more or less guaranteed and at the same gets you wherever you want faster than a car. And did I say it's easier to park? More than 2 people and it's always the car, no doubt.

Petrol price rise will kill me when I have to resume my 70km daily office runs unless WFH is an option. The fact that I will be paying ~65% of the petrol price as tax for the roads that break my back won't help either.
Old 17th March 2021, 15:37   #173
BHPian

One of my friend who is an ardent Petrol fan, changed his mind and booked a Diesel simply because He cannot afford the combination SUV + Single digit FE + 100/litre. In order to adapt, either he has to change vehicle type or fuel type and in either case, the driving pattern will surely change. Therefore my vote is a definite "YES"

I am also planning to buy a motorcycle that could help me save a few bucks off my office commute.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 17th March 2021 at 15:41. Reason: additional point
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 16:00   #174
BHPian

Actually, yes. A bit. I used to push the car quite a bit before this price hike but I am a bit more sane now. My usage of the horn has increased a bit and I rely on it sometimes to make slugs hogging the middle of the road for no particular reason, move out of my way, rather than just downshifting and moving on.

Might actually move on to a diesel, perhaps a Figo 1.5, if the hike does not stop. I have already adjusted my driving style a bit to accomodate the hike, I can't change it anymore lest risk becoming the one thing I hate, that is, a road slug.

P.s. saw a reply mentioning that this thread was created more than a decade back. Just checked and I was shocked. How very little the situation has changed from back then. I thought this thread was about the current price hike and didn't notice the date of the first comment.
Gave me some 2005 nostalgia as well. Cheers.

Last edited by SaiSW : 17th March 2021 at 16:06.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks