Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Has the fuel hike affected your driving style / pattern
Yes 151 39.12%
No 235 60.88%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2005, 14:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Dont you think we will save some fuel atleast by driving a bit more conservatively - so that it helps the world and society in general ?

Fuel reserves mite just last longer - else soon we will be at 40 kmph on the highway with a battery powered car !

i mean i consistently have been driving sedately for a long time now -even when i had the ikon (as rudra says) ....and believe me its a much more pleasant experience than driving fast !

but yes - occasional bouts of racing and adrenaline rushes are normal. we are humans too after all...but im trying to cut them out too ....

over n out

Last edited by normally_crazy : 5th September 2005 at 14:40.
Old 5th September 2005, 14:36   #62
Team-BHP Support

I want the oil price to go to 500$ a barrel and crude oil reserves to dip so low that using petrol and diesel becomes unviable. The benfits would be increased research into alternatives and fuel cell/hydrogen technology as well as push for nuclear energy to create cheap electricity. I hope i live long enough to see this happening and driving a hydrogen powered car.
Old 5th September 2005, 14:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

have to agree with you N_C
don't know why these days everytime I am revving hard I think about the money I am wasting
the otherday i found myself driving at 60kmph on a smooth empty road & I actually enjoyed it more than going flat out
guess I will be sticking to economy drive
Old 5th September 2005, 14:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

I second you N_C. And Adya, yes I enjoy driving at 60~80 kmph nowadays. Speeding seems to be so stupid nowadays. Just a waste of money and fuel. In any case most of the guys who zoom past at 100+ get stuck at the next traffic light.
Old 5th September 2005, 16:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

Another round of fuel hike

Expect another round of fuel hike. Once the petroleum minister is back from his current tour the price revision is expected (probably next week). The hike would be around Rs.3/-. We are doing at a loss of Rs.7/litre for petrol & Rs.5/litre for diesel approximately.
Old 5th September 2005, 17:04   #66
BHPian

whtever the price i cant change my driving pattern but only vote against this govt which charge 65% of the oil bill as taxes
Old 5th September 2005, 18:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I want the oil price to go to 500$ a barrel and crude oil reserves to dip so low that using petrol and diesel becomes unviable. The benfits would be increased research into alternatives and fuel cell/hydrogen technology as well as push for nuclear energy to create cheap electricity. I hope i live long enough to see this happening and driving a hydrogen powered car.
For the time being however, Indians should start exploring the use of LPG & CNG in cars on a regular basis......not just for old cars but also for new ones. Not sure if the new MPFI cars can use this ???

Since Indian Oil exploration companies are hitting Gas reserves more than oil reserves.....Indians should be happy that they do have an alternative to petrol.
And with Bio-diesel showing positive results (Merc is doing some serious testing at high altitutes)... this can be a good alternative to diesel. There is still some light at the end of the tunnel ..........................or is it a mirage
Old 6th September 2005, 12:16   #68
Senior - BHPian

not sure if there an existing thread on this.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on driving styles.

I bought a third hand santro, recently put full tank(30L). already done 450kms, and tank still shows around 20-25% fuel left. (I consider myself a conservative driver, and i learnt car driving only 4 months back)

I drive an LML adreno, and have gotten upto 78kmpl from this. nowadays since i am not that conservative, i get around 60-65.

now, with these two accomplishments., I think i can give a tip or two on keeping a good mileage. pls share ur ideas on the same.

1. One thing that people refuse to understand is the necessity to brake evenly. e.g. if i see an obstacle/red light on signal from a distance, I start braking immediately (rather than screeching at the end). The idea is to reach there as late as possible, so that by the time I am there, the obstacle may be off. I will still be moving, and don't have to go down in gear 1 (and burn fuel).
Scientifically speaking I save my kinetic energy at the end of it, and start moving again.

2. always drive at low RPM. I try to keep the engine RPM low, just on the verge of knocking. as soon as i get past 20 kmph, I shift to 5th gear oin my bike. and it goes smoothly. with car i have to be a little considerate. only after 40 i can go in 5th.

3. never ever go for the thump/vroom. The sound we get of the engine when we pump the pedal is an outcome of unresisted expansion. meaning we are pumping fuel as a higher speed that it can consume at that RPM (experts correct me if i am wrong, this is my observation, especially on bullets where u can listen to the engine well). it's just burning fuel to get ur fav sound.

4. tried only with bike: releasing the clutch only when bike needs acceleration. so it's like put full throttle, accelerate to 60-70, and then put it in clutch, let it stroll till it comes down to 50, again give a forward thrust. might sound crazy, but synchronised with traffic, it feels perfectly fine. I was told my clutch plate will wear off soon. i make it a point to release the clutch oinly when engine speed matches the wheel. I don't mind if it's worn off now. i have already driven around 30K. and no issues at all.
It also helps in achieving point 2 above, to hold the knocking.

Am told never to do in cars because of a lot of reasons including safety (braking with engines).
Old 6th September 2005, 13:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Tank Up Time Fellas

Just heard that Petrol up by 3 Rs. and Diesel By 2 Rs. from midnight so better get going and tank up before mid night !
Old 6th September 2005, 13:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

Yea. So ppl tank up soon and save on the hike on Petrol and Diesel [3 bucks and 2 bucks respectively] per litre.. And this comes into effect from Midnight today....

Last edited by k_ajay : 6th September 2005 at 14:00.
Old 6th September 2005, 13:59   #71
BHPian

are you sure the rates are hiking tonight
Old 6th September 2005, 14:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

Yup. This is confirmed info... Tune into some news channel and you'd be able to cross check for authenticity...
Old 6th September 2005, 15:31   #73
Team-BHP Support

Source hindustan times
http://hindustantimes.com/news/181_1...1301700000.htm
Old 6th September 2005, 15:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Another hike in the prices....you have to adjust a bit in your driving styles and distances...looks like i'l be seeing that 6.48am borivali fast a lot more now.
And on top of that i just got the tuning box...Damn the government!
This is just getting ridiculous these hikes are eating up other expenses, i know i said before the hike wont affect me...but ever so slightly i do feel a pinch at times when i tank up.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 6th September 2005 at 16:02.
Old 6th September 2005, 15:56   #75
Team-BHP Support

And i guess your new tyres will eat up more fuel than slicks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks