Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Has the fuel hike affected your driving style / pattern
Yes 151 39.12%
No 235 60.88%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 21:21   #106
BHPian

Re: Does the fuel price hike affect your driving pattern?

It hasn't until now. But if the prices continue to rise, it may have an impact.
May be got to settle for a diesel car by then.

Btw most of the "No's" in the poll must be in 2005 i guess
Old 27th September 2011, 22:35   #107
Senior - BHPian

My running is at the rock bottom minimum. I can absorb the hike and it will not pinch me too much. I have one car only and have no intention of changing it, for the sake of fuel or even otherwise as it running just fine even after almost 6 years of ownership.
Old 27th September 2011, 23:00   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

The answer is NO. Whenever i sit idle,staring at my bike or car,i think-petrol prices are high. I should reduce my wasteful road trips,should go out only when i have some work and drive sedately.

When time comes and my mind suddenly stirs up for a trip,i am like-To hell with the petrol prices. And i march into the roads redlining and enjoying pure bliss. Also i have zero remorse when i drive into the fuel bunk next time.
Old 28th September 2011, 01:37   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

No better time to bump up this thread!. Thanks sumeethaldankar.

Well, few days before, we were talking about the exact same thing!. About what petrol heads will do, if petrol prices follow this trend.

Well, GTO has word-by-word penned down my exact thoughts!!.. except may be the 'drive less' part. Hell no, my driving pattern is NOT affected. Well, I have tried hard, but failed miserably..

Instead of driving pattern change, I'm planning a lifestyle change. Every time I look into the mirror, I get motivated by the thought. I have planned to buy a good bicycle and cycle to work and back. This is beneficial in almost all ways you look at it. Economical, Healthy, Greener and Punctual.

.... and sleep the weekend in my car. .

Last edited by dhanushs : 28th September 2011 at 01:41.
Old 28th September 2011, 07:01   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I have planned to buy a good bicycle and cycle to work and back. This is beneficial in almost all ways you look at it.
I did this 2 years back (and not due to the petrol price hike) for a month and realized how dangerous cycling is, at least in BLR. It is an accident waiting to happen. Motorists have complete disregard for cyclists, specially when zooming on the one-ways, and I had way too many near misses for my comfort. Driving through by-lanes is not possible either with stray dogs chasing the hell out of you

Sorry for getting off topic
Old 28th September 2011, 08:26   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
I did this 2 years back (and not due to the petrol price hike) for a month and realized how dangerous cycling is, at least in BLR. It is an accident waiting to happen. Motorists have complete disregard for cyclists, specially when zooming on the one-ways, and I had way too many near misses for my comfort. Driving through by-lanes is not possible either with stray dogs chasing the hell out of you
Bangalore traffic is not safe for motorists leave alone cyclists. May be this could have been an option pre 2005. But looking at the way the traffic has grown in our city and the the disrespect they have for the law, its a recipe for disaster.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:54   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

Sorry for getting off topic
+1. Anything on two wheels in Bangalore is dangerous considering unpredictable rains, mad cabs, chaotic traffic and bad roads. Its better to hire Meru or travel on Volvo if you dont want to drive. Or see if you can get car pooling.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:01   #113
BHPian

Big Yes!!!

I'm attempting to not redline my truck as much as I used to - more along the idling school of driving, also known as rolling down a slope school of driving.

However, a significant change that I have brought in is not completely due to fuel prices, but also due to the ballooning presence of vehicles in the city. I use the truck only if I'm heading to office or get-away trips. On weekends, I tend to use public transport as much as possible. I'm actually surprised at how much money this saves me on a monthly basis.

But as far as the price hike induced changes go, I'm attempting to stay below the turbo threshold in terms of RPM. Earlier, I used to get a free space and I'd zoom into it, foot on the pedal all "Ronin" like. Now, I guess I've become a bit more tempered.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:54   #114
Senior - BHPian

A big Yes, considering that we own three petrol vehicles between me and my wife.
The combined fuel expenses need to be managed now more efficiently.
So, if two wheeler can suffice, why take the four wheeler out? Also use the safe and economic driving practices as outlined in the Ford presentation.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:59   #115
BHPian

Yes, but i keep racing when I feel the rush. But may be it is ageing process or it is the 50% hike since May 2010, I see myself checking if I should switch off at the signal, where I would have revved the car up in short bursts to just hear the sound.

But I have not reduced my driving distance or driving holidays any bit. Would rather earn a bit more to spend a bit more. So it must be the latter part of 30s doing the "be wise" stuff on my head.

BH.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:40   #116
Senior - BHPian

Its definitely impacted ... for bad :(

I have to cut short the late night long drives for no reason. I have also stopped using AC when its not needed that much. Trying to save some fuel means trying to save money. In Pune Petrol is 72 Rs per liter and that is too much. Now for planning a trip in car is also a big hole in the pocket. Fun drives have shortened. Too bad. Frankly overall inflation is too much. Specially in Pune. You have to cut on your expenses to manage the monthly budget. Unfortunately for IT people like me, salary hikes in last 3 years (after recession) are not good & monthly budget has got doubled almost.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:59   #117
Senior - BHPian

Positively impacted.

My frequent trips to Pune using my Fiesta have been cut down, now opting for either Volvo bus or train. Weekend trips to the shopping malls have been reduced, soley depend on the Activa now for running small errands. I have been a sedate driver and use to take every care to justify the fuel consumption and I cant go below that any further in the present situation.

My earlier travel expenses for the month on fuel was 3800/- which now has ballooned to 5100/-.
Old 28th September 2011, 16:21   #118
BHPian

Hiked petrol prices coupled with High loan rates has made Indians purposeful on their transportation, travel needs.

Status sybmbol feeling of owning multiple cars for a normal small sized family will be re-defined. This will result in Effective de-congestion in city roads which is good for every road users on the long run.
Old 28th September 2011, 16:25   #119
BHPian

Q -Does the fuel price hike affect your driving pattern?

Ans - I wish it would , but i cant !! with the FFE installation i just cant.
i just smoke less to save a bit more.
Old 28th September 2011, 16:37   #120
BHPian

The fuel price hike hasn't really affected me. I arrived in India just after the hike in diesel prices and I was cautious at first, adjusting to Indian traffic conditions, but later have been driving hard to avoid holding up traffic behind me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks