Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 09:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Zen is overpriced in the 2nd hand market due to some typical demand that people has set in their mind. Agreed that the car was good at that time.
Thank
I'd compare it to the Yam RX100. Still loved by people. Most things are appreciated after their production is stopped.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

I was quoted 85k to 2.3lac for zen from different era. 85k was for 7 year old car while 2.3lac was for 2005 LXi or so.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:23   #18
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I'd compare it to the Yam RX100. Still loved by people. Most things are appreciated after their production is stopped.
Brilliantly put! I loved the old jellybean shape of the Zen and loved driving the car as it always brought out the boy-racer in me!

See your call-signs have changed too, Congrats on becoming a Senior Bhp-ian!
Old 29th July 2009, 10:40   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Give a wanted ad in paper and you will get responses from individuals as well.
Never do that. People will know you want the car badly and will hike the rates. Just place a ad for small car wanted, budget XXXX and see what response you get. There will be some Zens among the respondents. Then you can negotiate a lower price stating that it is an out of production car.

Quote:
Add to that the Baleno, OHC, Old Palio, RD350. But the Zen takes the cake. IMO it's a good car but nothing spectacular.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:48   #20
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That must have been some deal. Mind sharing some details, specs, kms done, extra fittings. You got a great deal for a 2000 model.
Agree that I got a good price. It was may be because I sold it to a family friend and he knew about the car and its usage.

It had 68k on the odo, a white VX model (without power steering, but with front power windows and AC) and it was as stock as it would get. Dealers never quoted beyond 1-1.1 lacs
Old 29th July 2009, 11:04   #21
BHPian

My friend bought a 2001 Zen just last week for 1.53L here in bangalore. 45000kms on the odo, Grey colour, new battery & tyres, 3rd owner and very well maintained. It was through a middleman but he was trying to show himself as the owners friend who is helping the owner to sell his car.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
My friend bought a 2001 Zen just last week for 1.53L here in bangalore. 45000kms on the odo, Grey colour, new battery & tyres, 3rd owner and very well maintained.
Not bad. Maybe 15-20K on the higher side but 45K kms (USP) is nothing for this baby + its in demand.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:14   #23
BHPian

I was looking for a second hand Zen in Pune and didn't find anything under Rs. 2 Lacs - Rs. 2.5 Lacs. I bought a new Spark instead.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

IMO most Maruti car models command higher resale value compared to equivalent models of other car manufacturers. This is because of an excellent network of MASS and easy availability of spare parts if needed. Most of the time regular maintenance and oil changes is what is required till 200K kms.Maruti Engines and transmission rarely give problems before 2L kms. Offcourse you need to change rubber parts/belts at50k or 60k km intervals.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:21   #25
BHPian

I have my single owner 2000 Dec model Zen VXi run 52K with power steering, AC, front power windows, brand new Bridgestone tyres, Pioneer MP3 stereo set, Blaupunkt speakers etc in very good condition.

While casually checking (without any significant effort on selling), I have got offers upto 1.65 lacs (person to person deal). Since I have not finalised my next car plans, I will be seriously thinking of selling this in next couple of months. But as mentioned in previous posts, the market for Zen is really high and I was virtually surprised with the no.of calls I was getting without any sort of advertisements (just by word of mouth).
Lovely car though, served me faithfully all through without many problems.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:29   #26

3L for a used Zen is exorbitant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
I was looking for a second hand Zen in Pune and didn't find anything under Rs. 2 Lacs - Rs. 2.5 Lacs. I bought a new Spark instead.
What? I think there are lot of Zens available in that budget in Pune. I got my car's valuation done from a couple of guys. The best valuation I got was 1.75 from Maruti True Value (but only if I bought Swift/Ritz). This is for April 2005 Maruti Zen LX with just 18k on odo.

I was thinking of upgrading to Punto. Hence had gone to Pandit (Tata Motors dealer in Pune). They offered me 1.4L. I would have upgraded if I had got 1.9 - 2.0 L. The car is in great condition. When I asked these guys why the offers were so low, they told me that it is a dicontinued model and people have better options.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Not bad. Maybe 15-20K on the higher side but 45K kms (USP) is nothing for this baby + its in demand.
The 15-20k more what we paid is because of the middleman i guess but the good thing was new tyres, battery and well maintained exterior/interior but i doubt the 45000kms on the odo, it could have been reset. Another game what these dealers play - The dealer will place the add in magazines about selling his car but will not mention that he is the broker, When you call the dealer he will pose himself as the owner of the car and give you some reason like he is out of town and his car is with his friend whom we should contact inorder to see the car. The other person will be his friend who is another dealer and actually you will never get to meet the owner of the car. Once you see the car and really like it you wouldnt care whether he is the owner or dealer and wouldnt care about the extra amount you will pay. All these is not done at the dealers showroom but its done at his home or someother place. Nice trick, isnt it?
Old 29th July 2009, 12:46   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Today checked with Car Trends near Banashankari for the zen 2000 VXI verison with 70K on the odo, 3rd owner. The price quoted was 1.9 lacs. Is this not a steep price for the car. Also with Third party insurance
Old 29th July 2009, 12:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Is this not a steep price for the car. Also with
Yes! This is too steep. Not realistic even.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:01   #30
BHPian

From all your experiences, it looks like True Value and other dealers are easily minting money with used zen, by buying at a relatively lower price and selling it for sky high prices. Adding to that, people are ready to buy those cars even at such prices - infact, every other day I am rejecting the zens because of high price quotes from dealers and those cars are getting sold in the next one or two days at the same price point. This is the reason for the dealers to quickly clinch all the used zen deals available in the market, before it goes to a direct buyer.

My task would have been very simple if all the car owners at Coimbatore had started using the free ad sites for posting their cars for sale. This not only gives a huge price advantage to both seller and buyer, but also simplifies the search effort for finding a used car. Sadly, 99% of the public are not used to this habit, atleast at Coimbatore.

Anyways, lemme keep my eyes and ears open to find a good used zen soon from an individual.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 29th July 2009 at 13:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks