Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:57   #391
BHPian

Congrats Gagan:

I would opine that you have done the right thing. You have traded your faulty car for cash (slightly diminished may be but I am sure you can make that up), peace of mind and freeing up your time from useless matters. I agree with svsantosh - imagine you not having to seek legal remedy in our country where it can be indefinitely delayed and painful, not having to keep fretting mentally about how you got cheated or not being left on tenterhooks by Skoda almost at all times.

We all know that you, sadly, got the short end of the stick and it is difficult to get out of that feeling - but getting rid of the car is one way to close the chapter, than spending more to keep the purchase justified ( like the sunk-cost fallacy I had mentioned earlier). I think that needs some courage.

I hope your next car will more than make up for this experience

Cheers,
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:27   #392
Senior - BHPian

First things first.. It was decent of Skoda or the Skoda dealer to pay up. Though it is obvious that they have to pay, looking at the other sad stories, this one atleast had a decent ending.

Can this be used as an example for others with similar problems to follow up and get some justice? Or is it dealer specific?

I like the Laura very much. It is filled with goodies and its got great reviews. However I would probably never buy one given that the chances of getting stuck with a bad one is very high!

Is this problem very specific to India? Or is it a global problem with the Octavia (the Laura here). Has it something to do with our manufacturing and Quality control of Skoda's India plant?
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:50   #393
BHPian

Damn you Skoda !!!

[quote=gagananand;2036728]well friends I wish to inform you that finally the engine of my superb has siezed after doing 15600Kms.]

Gagan,
I am glad you have the albatross off your neck now !!! Though you've suffered a financial loss, I'm sure its better than having met with an untoward incident on the road on account of the faulty car.......

[ AMAZING DEPENDABILITY. MASTERPIECE I MUST SAY. ]

Honestly, if thats what you seek...... buy a Toyota blindly !!! My first experience with a Toyota Altis (36k kms in 1 yr , 3 months) & trust me, its simply HASSLE FREE !!!
Driven a Honda extensively ( 5 yrs, 80k+ kms) and its served me well.

[ Beware of skoda ]
Forget beware..... I was seriously considering the VW Vento 1.6 D, but guess what.... Anything to do with Skoda or its mom/pop/sis/bro/ kids (legitimate or illegitimate - read as VW/Audi) can go take a hike as far as I am concerned !

Last edited by sidwadia : 23rd August 2010 at 18:54.
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:35   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

This 1.8 Tsi engine is shared by 3 Volkswagen group brands sold in India, Skoda sells this engine with Laura and Superb, VW recently plonked this engine in the Passat and Audi has the engine in A4(not sure about other Audi models).

This Oil consumption issue has been widely reported by owners of a lot of the cars listed above, A simple Google search will show you thousands of results regarding same. In India most Superb owners have complained about this oil consumption issue, Since Superb is the best selling car with this engine most issues seen on internet are from Superb owners in India, expect VW and Audi owners to follow it.

Even Toyota in its Fortuner's owner's manual says Oil consumption of 1litre/1000kms is normal but Fortuner never has issues.

@Gagan: It's good for you that you got a refund this time. I am sure you would never consider a VW group automobile again. Which car are you planning this time? Is it Honda Accord?
Old 24th August 2010, 04:23   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
WoW - Congrats Gagan - now you're free of the headaches and stress!

The Service station mentioned it is the exhaust which is overheated and is making this noise while dissipation of heat - anybody who has an idea if this is true?
Yes thats normal, dont worry about it, just drive the car
Old 29th August 2010, 13:12   #396
BHPian

well am still not able to make up my mind on what to buy. I am seriously considering the land rover freelander 2. does one have any information on the same.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:30   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post
well am still not able to make up my mind on what to buy. I am seriously considering the land rover freelander 2. does one have any information on the same.
it'll be almost 40 lacs - overpriced for a CRV size, specs aint so nice and considering it was launched in 06(?) be ready for a brand new version (not just facelift) within 2-3 years.

I was mighty tempted with the Teana before opting on the A4, it genuinely exceeds the Superb in every aspect, maybe except a diesel engine but that wasn't my concern.
Old 30th August 2010, 19:52   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Santa Fe.
193BHP, 430Nm, 4WD, 7 seater
0 to 100 in 10 sec, top speed @180kmph

Reference: Santa Fe thread, BS Motoring First Drive Report

And on the happy note of the monetary refund from Skoda and such exciting new car suggestions, I think it's time to say goodbye to this thread :-)
Old 4th September 2010, 16:19   #399
BHPian

Hi gagan,

thanks for sharing your story with us. It is truly heartbreaking to read about your tragedy. I sincerely hope you have better luck with your next purchase.

I am curious about one thing though. How much effort did you have to put in to get your money back ? Did they give in easier than you thought or did you really have to fight for it ?

I must say i have been a very very lucky Skoda user . Have had awesome experiences with my Skoda Octavia (clocked 125000 km without a single glitch) and a thoroughly satisfied with my current 2.0 L&K facelift Laura).

Did you have to wait long for the money ?
Old 1st November 2010, 16:53   #400
Team-BHP Support

This is what nightmares are made of.

For a good two-and-a-half hours, I committed myself to this dreadful thread. And somehow, I'm glad I did. I've got several friends who own Skodas and they are pleased with their experience. I am a huge Skoda fan myself and I love the Laura and the Superb.

In fact, my father was considering replacing our Civic sometime in the future and I'd instantly recommended the Laura/Jetta. Now, I know better.

I can only imagine how horrible this experience must have been for you, Gagan. And I'm very sorry for it!

It's a good thing that the matter is closed now. Skoda's move at the end was alright when compared to the trauma they put you through, through the 15,000 km that you've done in this horrid car.

I'm just wondering what Skoda is going to do with your car now. Will they change the entire engine/transmission and sell it off to an unsuspecting bloke who'd feel that he got his moneys worth? I sincerely hope not.

Skoda India needs to get their act together, and fast. And if they don't, they might just be driven out of this country.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed