Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 15:38   #301
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Gagan,

Please use the report to moderator option just below your avatar. This should help expedite the request.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:43   #302
Team-BHP Support

What is the new thread title that you want for this thread please? You just keep saying you wish for a change in the title. In fact it has already been changed to reflect your current problem. How else would you like it to be rephrased?
Old 17th February 2010, 15:48   #303
BHPian

Thanks a lot. sorry I just overlooked it
Old 17th February 2010, 15:56   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
@nirmal- I am no technical expert but perhaps turbo's do increase oil consumptions. And this seems to be a German trait, even my 525d popped up a message at the initial 3000km mark asking to refill with 1 liter oil.

@entropy- Oil issue would be engine specific, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Skoda Superb and Lauras are turbocharged engines right? So turbo engines are bound to use more engine oil. I am no car expert, just a thought. Would this be correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Gosh, that's quite a lot of oil consumption for a current gen petrol engine !
Funny IMHO ! Haven't come across this oil drinking ( that too synthetic ) on any on my or friend's cars, turbo or not. Never in my Tata even.

Drinking engine oil = bad right?

gaganand: check for smoke too as was mentioned in one of the posts.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:59   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
What is the new thread title that you want for this thread please? You just keep saying you wish for a change in the title. In fact it has already been changed to reflect your current problem. How else would you like it to be rephrased?
I don't think this a "Problem" as such. This is a common phenomenon for most Germans and specially since Skoda has already confirmed that it is a normal for every TSi engine. It's too early to make judgement, every cars initial beeding in period is different. I'd wait for the 1st service to jump to conclusions here.
Old 17th February 2010, 16:20   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I don't think this a "Problem" as such. This is a common phenomenon for most Germans and specially since Skoda has already confirmed that it is a normal for every TSi engine. It's too early to make judgement, every cars initial beeding in period is different. I'd wait for the 1st service to jump to conclusions here.
Sahil, you meant to say that he should wait till 15000km? He already has completed 8000km.
Old 17th February 2010, 16:52   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Sahil, you meant to say that he should wait till 15000km? He already has completed 8000km.
oops. yes I stand corrected, i missed the 0
Old 17th February 2010, 16:59   #308
Team-BHP Support

I do not know if this is a problem. The thread title has been modified to match the woeful mood of the thread owner and the way he looks at it.

However, having said that, 500ml per 1000 kms sounds monstrous to me. Even if the Germans have this affinity to drink oil this sounds humongous. I do not know what is the volume of oil that car takes in. If it is around 3.5 ltrs or so and considering the lowest of the marks (which anyhow is danger territory) still leaves around 1.5 ltrs of oil in most cars are we saying that every 4000 kms the car runs out of engine oil? And then that is normal as well? Coming from the manufacturer, I find that statement really funny if not anything else.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th February 2010 at 17:01.
Old 17th February 2010, 17:12   #309
BHPian

To the OG Poster, please take some time & read your car manual, it is specified in the engine oil section, VW tsi engines do consume more oil till the intial 5000kms, there is nothing you can do about it, what skoda is saying is right, my advice to you is sell the car, get one of the japs or korean cars they consume less oil, even Sahil has mentioned its a german trait for these engines to consume more oil at the starting.

cheers..
Old 17th February 2010, 17:50   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
To the OG Poster, please take some time & read your car manual, it is specified in the engine oil section, VW tsi engines do consume more oil till the intial 5000kms, there is nothing you can do about it, what skoda is saying is right, my advice to you is sell the car, get one of the japs or korean cars they consume less oil, even Sahil has mentioned its a german trait for these engines to consume more oil at the starting.

cheers..
Does the manual specify the oil consumption level for the first 5k kms??

Also half a lt/1k kms is . Are we sure if there are no leaks?
Old 17th February 2010, 17:59   #311
BHPian

Yes we have checked for leaks there are none. The manual does not specify oil consumption for the first 5K Kms but you can make out from the mail from Skoda that they are comfortable with a oil consumption of 500 ml every 1000 kms
Old 17th February 2010, 18:02   #312
BHPian

I guess Skoda SUperb owners need to invest in oil mines as well then! Seriously 500ml for 1000 klicks is insane.
Old 17th February 2010, 18:04   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post
Yes we have checked for leaks there are none. The manual does not specify oil consumption for the first 5K Kms but you can make out from the mail from Skoda that they are comfortable with a oil consumption of 500 ml every 1000 kms
PLEASE read the manual bro, this is mentioned in the laura tsi manual
superb petrol & laura tsi same engine..

in the laura manual page "227" this is mentioned-

"It is normal for the engine to consume oil. The oil consumption may be as much as 0.5 l/1 000 km depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which you operate your vehicle. The oil consumption may be slightly higher than this during the first 5 000 kilometres."

Last edited by Zappo : 18th February 2010 at 23:51. Reason: Merged
Old 17th February 2010, 18:25   #314
Senior - BHPian

This is tough love between oil and engine initially for all the engines in variations.

Should not be called a problem. Naming it as problem against Skoda name will skew the readers prespective.

TSI engines have yet to prove their long term durability and maybe VW group is not taking any chances.

Enjoy the car!
Old 17th February 2010, 18:40   #315
BHPian

Is VW using 1.8 TSI engine in any of its own models anywhere in the world ? VW putting this engine in their own brand cars will be a testimony that they have confidence in it.

Quality is the ability to stick to the stated specifications. If a software product claims that the tool can crash up to 100 times for every 10000 runs, then you can't call it a poor quality software as long as the crash count stays within the stated specification. You can, however, call the spec to be inferior. So, anyone can be obsessed with quality as long as he clearly mentions all the product defects upfront and a customer can't find a problem that's not listed in the spec.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks