Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 19:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

I dont think VW will launch Tiguan this year; May be in 2011 or 2012. Its pricing is also an important factor.
Old 10th January 2010, 14:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
I'll tell you what, I don't know if this car will come to India or no but having driven it for few days in the US I can tell you one thing at it's price point there are far better cars you can buy.

It's good no doubt but nothing too exciting when you consider it's price compared to competition and believe me when it's priced close to Fortuner / Endevour etc. it will find very few buyers in India. So unless VW just wants to sell products in small quantities like the Beetle and Toureg I don't think they will launch the Tiguan anytime soon.
Well the Tiguan in the US starts from $22,000, so if it does make it to our shores, it should be in the 15-18 lac bracket on road, which will make it an excellent buy (I am assuming a fair amount of indigenization which considering the Yeti may not be too far fetched). Especially considering it has a GTI engine which is a lot of fun to drive!
If VW is looking to hit it big in India, which they seem to be doing then obviously 25 lac + cars are not going to cut it for them. They are talking about bringing the Polo and then the Golf. The Polo is too small for me, the golf I would love to consider but if the polo works out to be between 6-8 lacs on road in Bangalore (looks like it is heading this way between the Petrol and Diesel variants) I fail to see where the polo sedan and then the Golf will fit in. As good as the Golf is, I doubt many Indians are going to want to shell out 10 lacs for it.
With Skodas and VWs being manufactured at the same plant, Fabia primed to get a 1.2TSI engine, the Superb and the Laura L&K getting the Passat CRDI engine and Passat may get the 1.8/2.0TSI (from some inside information), it appears as though there is going to be even more sharing of platforms and engines in the future. It only makes sense that VW uses this to release an entire sub 20 lac range as Skoda is about to do with the Yeti.
Given the same engines, I would pay a premium for VW over Skoda considering the build quality is far superior, and this is saying a lot!

imp!
Old 10th January 2010, 18:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

imp! Trust me when you talk about cars and their pricing in India esp. if it's a german car you must not compare costs with the US costs. even in the US it's the base Tiguan which is for 23,000 and you have to understand that is a very basic car and the closest that VW India would launch in terms of trim would be the SE spec + some more extras which itself takes the price into 30,000 USD and when you compare it to the EU price list it works out to about 30,000 Euros so you are talking about a 20L+ Price atleast even if it's bought down in CKD form and then when you add RTO etc. the car is expensive and it does not have that big a road presence compared to lets say Fortuner etc. which have won a lot of hearts already.

All in all I don't think the Tiguan makes any sense for India unless VW can price it at about 15L on road which is close to impossible and anything above that for that car then there are far better options.
Old 10th January 2010, 18:52   #34
BHPian

I think VW is waiting for BMW X1's response, which would be launched by end of 2010. It would be priced under 25L as it would be assembled through CKD kits at BMW's Chennai plant.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Tiguan: Launch date? Spotted testing? Service complaints?

I am not sure if posting a reply on a 2 year old thread is not acceptable, But I flt its better than opening a new thread on the same subject.

During 2009, when I was looking for an SUV for about 15L, I had to settle with Scorpio. Though I didn't regret with my decision, I was really expecting Tiguan, since the spec seems to be meeting my expectation, and this thread was interesting.

Two years over now, and VW is much stable in India, spreading its market with few good products, future plans and network of dealers, But still no sign of Tiguan. I thought it would be in the same platform as Vento (correct me if I am wrong - or sharing Yeti), and we have doors open for an SUV, unlike Yeti it would be a full blown SUV and the Gap is still open for them, until Mahindra World SUV fills it. We have X1 too here on the roads, But still it is not what we expect in the name of SUV, right? (No offence, I like X1 as an estate)

Now, Does VW has still plans for Tiguan in India?

Mod - I request you to move/merge or open it as a new thread. I like to learn what our friends know.

Last edited by agbenny : 2nd September 2011 at 12:13.
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:20   #36
Team-BHP Support

The Tiguan if launched in India would be priced more than the Yeti. The tiguan looks even smaller than the Yeti in person as the Yeti has some quirky styling which gives it a slightly beefy stance.

On top of that Audi will be launching the Q3 which is based on the Tiguan. This would compete with the X1 and probably be very close to the Tiguan in terms of price.

So in effect it may not make sense to get the Tiguan to India.

Frankly speaking I'm getting a bit confused with VW strategy in India.
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:58   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

VW tiguan if it comes along here will be fiddling about in the BMW XI and Audi Q3 territory. A bit above the Yeti etc.
However, will people respect the VW brand enough to buy the Tiguan at a price similar to the X1 and Q3?
I have my doubts.
it is a lovely crossover no doubt about it. But if for example toyota were to come along with its RAV4 at a sensible price (locally produced) and perhaps Hyundai were to bring the IX35 at a sensible price (again locally produced) and maybe if they were to locally make the Santa Fe, then these could whip up a sand storm in this smaller/ compact functional SUV space.
Unless of course VW surprises everyone by building the Tiguan locally and pricing it the way a VW should be priced - after all VolksWagen - the people's car right?
Old 10th February 2012, 23:42   #38
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, one of my friend is considering to buy a SUV - 5 Seater with lot of boot space. He liked the Tiguan and is comfortable to pay around 22 -25 Lakhs for it. Any idea when the Tiguan will launched in India?
Old 11th February 2012, 00:25   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys, one of my friend is considering to buy a SUV - 5 Seater with lot of boot space. He liked the Tiguan and is comfortable to pay around 22 -25 Lakhs for it. Any idea when the Tiguan will launched in India?
No news of its launch. The x1 or better yet the q3 are better options. Base models could fit the 25l budget
Old 27th July 2012, 02:25   #40
BHPian

Heard today from one of the senior sales guys in VW. They've started getting some news from within about the Tiguan coming. This guy is a no-nonsense person and wouldn't bluff. Could be priced between 22 and 25 and if priced well, could do a lot of good for VW.

Keen after the reviews -

Old 27th July 2012, 02:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Wow- Tiguan at 22+lacs INR!!

I had this car in US as my rental for 3-4 weeks and it is no big shakes. I would not be spending that kind of money on this!
My 2 paise!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 02:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Wow- Tiguan at 22+lacs INR!!

I had this car in US as my rental for 3-4 weeks and it is no big shakes. I would not be spending that kind of money on this!
My 2 paise!
Comparing and Converting prices in the US (Tiguan has a similar price to Passat but can go up to 40k USD), I would think 22-23 lakhs would be the minimum price that VW can launch it at. Also, the Q3 is based on the Tiguan, so am not quite sure if VW can ask for the same price as the Q3! Perhaps not. But I don't expect it to be below 20 lakhs OTR.
Old 18th February 2013, 19:36   #43
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Some Autocar reader managed to snap this car in WB!

http://forum.autocarindia.com/index....an-scoop-pics/
Old 18th February 2013, 20:05   #44
BHPian

its an import probably moving to nepal,also notice the customs sticker placed above the temporary plate.You can also notice the mitsubishi pajero in the rear
Old 18th February 2013, 20:30   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Attaching the spy shots from ACI page for easy reference.

Details: http://forum.autocarindia.com/index....an-scoop-pics/

VW Tiguan: Launch date?  Spotted testing? Service complaints?-tiguan1.jpg

VW Tiguan: Launch date?  Spotted testing? Service complaints?-tiguan2.jpg

VW Tiguan: Launch date?  Spotted testing? Service complaints?-tigua3.jpg

VW Tiguan: Launch date?  Spotted testing? Service complaints?-tiguan4.jpg

VW Tiguan: Launch date?  Spotted testing? Service complaints?-tiguan5.jpg

Image copyright - Original uploader.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed