Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do You consider Fuel Efficiency figures while buying a new Car
Yes 167 56.61%
No 21 7.12%
I do, but it is not very high on my priorities. 107 36.27%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:00   #16
BHPian

I generally dont think of FE, however these numbers would surely provide a comparisn beetwen models.

New sedan dream is fast catching me every night with Fiesta 1.6 SXi, however when I see that the Verna VTVT which is not atall known for anything except soft suspenstion and ultra silent NVH has passed Fiesta by a bigger 3 KMPL margin makes me think how would those standard test condition translate to the normal driving condition.

A simple mathematics can factor out for the standard test condition, still I am not able to digest that the Verna is more efficient than Fiesta.

The Variable Valve Timing must be helping Verna to gain more FE
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:02   #17
BHPian

I dont care, as long as all vehicles were tested in the same conditions. If so, then I can glean the necessary info from the results, myself.
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:09   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The figures may vary but the cars named seem correct except that I would assume the fiesta diesel to score over the Verna diesel - so that is a surprise.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:21   #19
BHPian

The real life FE of cars will rarely match the SIAM figures due to well known variables and most importantly the foot thats on the pedal and the street conditions.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Difficult to digest Verna petrol is more fuel efficient than ANHC. Any Verna Petrol owners here?
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Difficult to digest Verna petrol is more fuel efficient than ANHC. Any Verna Petrol owners here?
Perhaps will have to ask SIAM about this.

I think these figs are useful for comparison sake, and could be useful only if consumers do not start estimating their fuel costs on this basis. What I am trying to say that under test conditions, say car A gives 15 and car B gives 12. That means that car A is more FE, and in normal conditions (seen on Indian roads), both will have lower FE than advertised, but that perhaps car A will still be more FE than car B.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody know the SIAM fuel efficiency figures for the Bolero CRDe as these figures are not there with the dealer or its staff.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:05   #23
BHPian

Well instead of taking these numbers as accurate , it will be a good idea if these numbers are taken in a comparative sense i.e compare efficiency of one car to another, then probably the numbers will be useful.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I generally dont think of FE, however these numbers would surely provide a comparison between models.
Believe me, there are lot of cars springing such surprises like i10 (also from Hyundai Stable) is more fuel efficient in 1.2 Kappa engine than 1.1 engine.

Tata DiCOR engines being most fuel efficient was in itself a very big surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
A simple mathematics can factor out for the standard test condition, still I am not able to digest that the Verna is more efficient than Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The figures may vary but the cars named seem correct except that I would assume the fiesta diesel to score over the Verna diesel - so that is a surprise.
Hyundai has been spending big bucks lately to bring down maintenance & overall ownership costs of their cars. This has resulted in much better engines which are also very fuel-efficient and capable mile-crunchers.

On the other hand, Honda (with all due respect to Honda owners) has been taking Indian market for granted. Their reliability issues are growing increasingly and there has been little improvement in performance of their cars vis-a-vis previous models.

I seriously hope they wake up to the challenge posed by Hyundai or they may lose their superiority very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Does anybody know the SIAM fuel efficiency figures for the Bolero CRDe as these figures are not there with the dealer or its staff.
Bolero CRDe figures would be very similar to those of Scorpio engines.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:23   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Hyundai has been spending big bucks lately to bring down maintenance & overall ownership costs of their cars.

Just see the pricing of Hyundai cars i10, i20 and Verna once again! And the mileage of i10 1.2 also.
Old 6th September 2009, 15:32   #26
BHPian

That means the most fuel efficient cars are from House of Tatas (of course if we include Nano).
Old 8th September 2009, 10:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpn View Post
That means the most fuel efficient cars are from House of Tatas (of course if we include Nano).
And why not ? NANO has created the maximum interest on a global scale for any given automobile so far. It is indeed a marvelous engineering feat. We should be happy to give the crown to Nano most deservedly

cheers
Old 8th September 2009, 10:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
And why not ? NANO has created the maximum interest on a global scale for any given automobile so far. It is indeed a marvelous engineering feat. We should be happy to give the crown to Nano most deservedly

cheers
It is indeed a marvelous engineering feat with regards to production. However, without seeing it on the road and considering its long term reliability, this statement is premature. Engineering does not simply equal low cost production.
Old 9th September 2009, 12:48   #29
BHPian

The FE figures are not perfect...no way can Verna diesel gives more FE than Fiesta Diesel and ust look how can Swift diesel and Dezire diesel give same FE?

Most of the FE shown by companies is not true, as these FE list is given by respective companies not validated for consistency
Old 9th September 2009, 12:59   #30
BHPian

I forgot to highlight this - it never said SIAM test conditions only says declared by member companies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks