Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do You consider Fuel Efficiency figures while buying a new Car
Yes 167 56.61%
No 21 7.12%
I do, but it is not very high on my priorities. 107 36.27%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 17:03   #31
BHPian

ARAI : is it trustworthy? : where is the master list?

hello,

1. is the ARAI rating trustworthy?
2. have they factored in city-driving conditions for arriving at the figures?
3. where can i find the ARAI ratings for all the cars in india? i tried but could not locate it on the ARAI website

cheers.
Old 7th February 2010, 20:04   #32
BHPian

Home : Automotive Research Association of India(ARAI)
Old 30th March 2010, 03:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

I could not find the figures for the following.

Ford Figo petrol
Ford Figo Diesel

hyundai i20 1.4 automatic petrol
Hyundai accent 1.5 LPG

Mahindra Thar

Premier Rio

ICML Rhino CRDI

Volkswagen Cars
Nissan
Volvo

I remember reading VW, Nissan and Volvo are not a member of SIAM but what about the rest?
Old 30th March 2010, 06:24   #34
BHPian

I wonder what the test procedure is. Without that information, the fuel economy figures mean squat. I went to the SIAM home page and found a link on the right which says 'Declared Fuel Economy' - and this link has the fuel economy figures for various cars just like in the original post. Does this mean that the SIAM didn't test the cars themselves but relied on the manufacturers to do that for them based on a standard procedure? Of course, again, there is nothing on the site which tells us what this procedure is.
Old 30th March 2010, 08:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I could not find the figures for the following.

Ford Figo petrol
Ford Figo Diesel
Hyundai accent 1.5 LPG
Mahindra Thar
Premier Rio
ICML Rhino CRDI
Volkswagen Cars
Nissan
Volvo

I remember reading VW, Nissan and Volvo are not a member of SIAM but what about the rest?
Should've used the search function first. I didnt find the ARAI FE figures for the following.

Hyundai accent 1.5 LPG
Mahindra Thar
Premier Rio
ICML Rhino CRDI
Nissan x-trail
Toyota Fortuner
VW beetle
VW Jetta petrol and Diesel
Toyota Corolla CNG
Old 30th March 2010, 09:17   #36
BHPian

Is there any updated pdf yet? I miss the ARAI FE of many cars. Although the figures cant be compared to real world conditions, they do give a comparison between different vehicles on sale
Old 28th April 2010, 10:46   #37
BANNED

Here is the Updated Fuel Economy Data from SIAM - January 2010 which includes BSIV data.

For 4 wheel vehicles

SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh11.jpg
SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh12.jpg
SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh2.jpg
SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh3.jpg
SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh4.jpg

For 2 wheel vehicles

SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_twowh.jpg

Source: SIAM Website
Old 28th April 2010, 11:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
I dont care, as long as all vehicles were tested in the same conditions. If so, then I can glean the necessary info from the results, myself.
to that.
Thats exactly what they want customers to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
I forgot to highlight this - it never said SIAM test conditions only says declared by member companies.
Yes, member companies usually rely on ICAT, ARAI and few other approved agencies to test their FE's.

Some interesting facts in this regard.

1. If you see the change in FE from BSIII→BSIV, you'd notice that while for some manufacturers the FE has gone up, for others, it has come down (may be very marginally too).

That is because, till last year (I think up to March 09), the standards of testing the FE were based on BSIII standards. Since then, the newer systems (read parameters) are in effect and test the FE as per BSIV standards.

So how does this make a difference?

Well here is how...

BSIII standards involve testing at 20șC, while BSIV standards involve testing at 0șC (change in testing method)

So all manufacturers who got their vehicles tested for BSIV compliance last year, say around Jan-March would have obtained a certain FE value based on the then prevailing BSIII testing standards and those who tested after the April period would have got the FE based on the BSIV testing standards.
Ideally BSIV is likely to have better FE than BSIII, but for some manufacturer BSIV may show as lesser as he might have tested the BSIII last year and BSIV this year.

2. Also consider the fact, when they say standard testing conditions, temperature, atm. pressure, weights etc. play a major role.

If the test is done at Gurgaon or Pune or Chennai, the Atmospheric pressure will be different (based on m.s.l) so, attaining the defined testing pressure (artificially) leaves much to be said.

All-in-all it is just an indicative value which customers can use to evaluate to their benefit.

For manufacturers, if tests in Chennai give a better result (say 1 km more) then probably some may opt to test in chennai
Old 28th April 2010, 12:05   #39
BHPian

That is a fantastic poster (SIAM FE figures). Thanks for posting. Actual FE may vary from this list, but it is indicative. They should also include the test conditions and procedure (there is nothing easily visible on the SIAM website about this)

It has all kinds of interesting info including the kerb weight, which are not usually advertized by various manufacturers.
- Indigo CS is 4kgs heavier than Manza Safire
- Figo variants are heavier than the Ikon
Old 28th April 2010, 12:31   #40
BHPian

Also says at a place that Mahindra Xylo 4WD
Is that a typo or has Mahindra already tested and declared the 4WD info in advance??
Old 28th April 2010, 12:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano runs on Gasoline whereas Polo runs on Petrol!? I'm confused.

Also, i10 1.1 F.E = 19.69 whereas i10 1.2 F.E = 19.81!!?? Looks like Shahrukh Khan did the fuel efficiency test to prove his theory

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 28th April 2010 at 12:58.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:01   #42
BHPian

Petrol Verna Mileage.

The figure look really 'incredible' for the Petrol Verna. My cousin has a verna Petrol and even on highways when driven with a light foot he gets only 13-14 kmpl. We also have a fiesta tdci for which we get average of around 16-17 for city + highway. For the fiesta just plain highway might come close to 20 but that would mean really really restrained driving which is focussed on just mileage. I have never got that kind of mileage when i have driven.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:19   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Also, i10 1.1 F.E = 19.69 whereas i10 1.2 F.E = 19.81!!??
Most of the Hyundai vehicles' FE figures shown here are far above the actual values we obtain on road. Eg: i10 1.1 MT and AT. So don't worry about these gimmicks!
Old 28th April 2010, 13:29   #44
BHPian

Top 3 spots go to Tata:
1. Nano - 23.62
2. Indigo CS - 23.03
3. Vista Qudrajet - 22.29
Old 28th April 2010, 13:31   #45
BANNED

In the above list, s. no. 62 it says Fiat Punto 1.4 active, Fe 13.80 but Fiat never introduced 1.4 active. It has only 1.2 active in petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks