Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2009, 16:36   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
P.S.: Democracy on roads means - everybody is free to do what ever he likes, rules be damned.
This is the most apt and perfect statement
Old 6th September 2009, 19:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Milecruncher, Are you sure the Scorpio has Active Cruise control? I mean does the car maintain a distance from the car in the front or come to a complete stand still? I am not aware but then I have never looked up the Scorpio so if it does have the ACC then wow,
No the Scorpio has a normal CC which deactivates the moment you press the accelerator or Clutch. I think we still have quite a way to go in India before we can actually use such technology.

I guess what is most needed at this juncture is education of the populace to how to behave on a highway/expressway
Old 6th September 2009, 20:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that, sometimes, people make too much of Indian road conditions. Of course, every country has its features, Germany may have great autobahns, USA might have miles of straight road, India has bullock carts and tricycles --- but how much use do you think the London driver gets from his cruise control?

I'd say that it is not a particularly useful gadget to those who drive mostly in cities --- wherever in the world that is!
Old 7th September 2009, 13:05   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

6 combined years in India with two cars having cruise control. Number of times used = ZERO. Not as much to do with my driving style (used CC all the time in the States) as it has to do with our highway conditions (road, traffic and junctions).

I wish I could save 25 - 50K on premium cars by cancelling out the cruise control option.
Old 7th September 2009, 14:27   #20
BANNED

Until we get proper Express/motor ways Cruise Control will be a joke. Remember that our GQ (and the rest of it barring probably Mumbai-Pune) are all Dual Carriageways and not proper expressways. May be in a few years when Limited Access Highways come in we can think about it.
Old 7th September 2009, 14:35   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes - this is absolutely correct

Cruise control is ok when you have superhighways with long straight stretches like you do in the US and Australia.
Here in India it is a waste of time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Until we get proper Express/motor ways Cruise Control will be a joke. Remember that our GQ (and the rest of it barring probably Mumbai-Pune) are all Dual Carriageways and not proper expressways. May be in a few years when Limited Access Highways come in we can think about it.
Old 7th September 2009, 14:37   #22
BANNED

As most of us agree, the actual usability of Cruise Control is very limited in India, so we still can do without it.
Old 7th September 2009, 15:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

If at all CC can be used it is limited to a highway with no intersections or human/cattle interference. In India it is limited to very few highways like Bombay-Pune, and Bangalore-Madras. Even in those highways we find two lorries overtaking one another at a speed of 40 kmph most of the time which will put CC out of use.
Old 8th September 2009, 14:26   #24
BHPian

I am an optimist. I strongly feel we need to have cruise control as a mandatory item in cars using our highways.

But why????????????

If you have this in the car, people will start using it increasingly and will get used to it. then we can observe people engaging cruise mode and becoming lazy to use the right foot. thus we may see an order in traffic

Over to you naysayers. disclaimer : I am an optimist

-tortoise
tortoise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2009, 14:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
I am an optimist. I strongly feel we need to have cruise control as a mandatory item in cars using our highways.

But why????????????

If you have this in the car, people will start using it increasingly and will get used to it. then we can observe people engaging cruise mode and becoming lazy to use the right foot. thus we may see an order in traffic

Over to you naysayers. disclaimer : I am an optimist

-tortoise
Yes. And then drivers can practice Padmasana Yoga on the seat! I am waiting for automatic steering control also, probably joy sticks, then he can practice more asanas as well. And finally he can practice "Savasana" for ever!
Old 8th September 2009, 14:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Of course cruise control is useful, but using this on Indian roads is asking for instant departure to the next world.
Old 8th September 2009, 14:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Most of the trucks on our highways use cruise control. In the form of a brick on the pedal!!
Old 8th September 2009, 15:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Of course cruise control is useful, but using this on Indian roads is asking for instant departure to the next world.

The driver was reading his newspaper at the time of the collision. "I had turned the cruise-control on," he said.

My fictional man probably sacked his driver when he got the cruise control!
Old 8th September 2009, 17:17   #29
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Very Pointless in India, have it on my Laura but have used it only on 2 of the trips in the last 2 years and that too for the gizmo value, had to always been on the edge on the Indian roads (highways) bom baraoda and bom pune that I used them on, possibly only usefull for expressways.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Very Pointless in India, have it on my Laura but have used it only on 2 of the trips in the last 2 years and that too for the gizmo value, had to always been on the edge on the Indian roads (highways) bom baraoda and bom pune that I used them on, possibly only usefull for expressways.
Cruise control should be an option here. So many high-end cars have in built cruise control, which is quite expensive and added to the sticker price. No use for that, but still have to pay for it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks