Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 13:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely compiled. It looks like Hyundai has a massive hit on its hands with the i20. On the other hand, A Star can be classified as a flop by Maruti's standards.

I was also surprised to see the Accent outselling the Ikon!

Last edited by Gilead : 9th September 2009 at 13:49.
Old 9th September 2009, 13:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Very informative thread! Where did you get these model specific information from? Great work!

- Spark is outselling A-Star. And by a HUGE margin!

- Palio sales are crashing. Maybe Fiat wants it that way?

- Fabia sold 560 units in August!

- i20 sales are amazing! 3000+ for second month running. I think the new engines are doing their job because the comparo with Punto is interesting. May to June i20 dropped 10% - impending Punto launch? June - July i20 zoomed 31% while Punto drove up by 19% however July - August i20 went up by 0.83% while Punto went up by 1.97%. Interesting trend although it's going to take Fiat a VERY long time to remotely challenge i20.

- Punto sales are encouraging. Being a Fiat, it doesn't enjoy the honeymoon phase like other cars so a third straight month of rise is good news.

- Linea makes a comeback.

- Altis is powering ahead. Last 4 months must have had Toyota grinning.

- Cedia did 22 units! Is it competing with Palio?

- Jetta 335 and Laura 407. I think VW is doing a fantastic job!

- Jetta outsold Civic in August!

- 462 Fortuner's. I expect that to rise threefold in September .
Old 9th September 2009, 13:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
In-fact Swift lost the segment leader throne to Indica.
As per data, Swift was ahead of Indica only for one month (July 09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post

Linea will be history soon. A very nice car for garage but not for day to day use.
Having driven Linea for 11,000Km, I can ignore your rant. As of today, Concorde Motors in Bangalore is filled with new deliveries of Fiat cars everyday. Yeah. More people are buying for garage

BTW, I always thought that Altis was just marginally ahead of Civic. Wow! It is miles ahead. Unbelievable.
Old 9th September 2009, 13:57   #34
BHPian

Very informative thread. A very good effort indeed. Thanks mate.
I would love to know thw Indica & Vista figures separately. I am seeing quite a few Vista's on the road nowadays.

Last edited by Car-Agey : 9th September 2009 at 13:58.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
As per data, Swift was ahead of Indica only for one month (July 09)
The Indica figures are combined with Vista hence Swift takes the honors.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
I think Sept 09 should be termed as Launch month of year- with max. no. of launches.
ANyways, FIAT Linea will never be history as 1.6 MJD is on its way and soon after that 1.4 TJET in 2010.
Is that wishful thinking? or do you have some credible information/source?
Old 9th September 2009, 14:53   #37
BHPian

First time I am seeing such a detailed report segment and model wise, keep up the good work .
Good to see that Punto is slowly and steadily going up, though it is lagging behind i20 by a handsome margin of 1511 in August. But 1819 is not at all bad figures for a premium hatch back which is launched 3 months ago. Infact i20 failed to cross 1800 mark in first four initial months. Way to go Punto...
In my office five guys bought new i20 and all of them are petrol 1.2, I don't think diesel or 1.4 launch is behind this figures.
Fiat wake up and do something for Linea, these numbers are very shocking. Why such a good product sales are declining steadily? Though I happen to see more and more Linea now a days...(confused)
Jazz would soon be a case study in all premier MBA colleges and topic will be "how to dig your own grave"
Old 9th September 2009, 15:03   #38
BHPian

If you observe the A-Star pattern, I think Ritz is hurting its sales. maybe people who want to buy the petrol, are thinking of ritz(i dont know the price difference). Swift is down maybe bcos of the petrol manufacturing getting stopped. I personally a few people who are waiting for the new petrol swift. I guess it will come back.

Does the indica sale include the taxis too ?? If yes, then i guess it is unfair. Should taxis be excluded ?

i10 has stabalised at 10-11K mark.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Linea will be history soon. A very nice car for garage but not for day to day use.
Wow
What a sweeping statement. Its selling 950 cars a month with those puny underpowered engines as people say and still it will become history.
Wonder what are Logan and Aveo- must be antique pieces to you then.

Wait till they plonk in 1.6 petrol and 1.6 MJD.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
In-fact Swift lost the segment leader throne to Indica.
Actually, Indica should be placed in the Wagon-R category, and Vista should be placed in the Swift category.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:18   #41
Team-BHP Support

Wow! Take a look at those Scorpio numbers! Its consistently been doing great in its segment.

Xylo seems to have bettered the Innova in sales in only 2 months.

Is it possible to get the breakup of the Sumo Grande? Am curious to know if it even sells.
Old 9th September 2009, 16:20   #42
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I can't understand your reasoning, is it just to show that Linea is a segment leader?

Better place it with Accord/Camry !!

Facts can't be changed, just because it is VFM does not drop it a category. Linea does belong to the Altis / Civic category.

And I do not own a Fiat (except a classic), nor do I have plans to go in for one in the near future.

If Lenght of cars is the parmeter than it does fit the Altis / Civic cateogory most. If it was pricing then as mentioned earlier Jazz / !20 too would have been in the fiesta city verna category.

Reagarding the future of fiat out here in India it looks the brightest right now after the last 5 years and it does have the national engine going for it, besides the two new cars.
Old 9th September 2009, 16:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
If Lenght of cars is the parmeter than it does fit the Altis / Civic cateogory most. If it was pricing then as mentioned earlier Jazz / !20 too would have been in the fiesta city verna category.
Jazz / i20 belongs to high-end hatch segment, where as Linea belongs to mid-level sedan segment.

Length should not be the decisive factor. Otherwise, Ambassador may also belong to Altis category.

'Common sense' is the best thing to be used.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 9th September 2009 at 16:57.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:03   #44
BHPian

Fiat Linea 1.6 MJD is not a Fiat preferred engine were the words from Fiat CEO. I wonder what makes people say Fiat will bring 1.6MJD next year. Maybe I dont have the info but 1.3 MJD with 86bhp seems to be decently powered and it has fetched Linea a frugal/economical car image.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Dont agree with your Linea segmentation

I should be in the Altis / Laura / Civic segment by size.

If you were looking just at price points then Jazz & I20 itself would have been the Fiesta Verna segment along with the currently incorrectly placed Linea.

Pls segment as Vasudeva correctly does.

The info itself is good, and would like to acknowledge the effort.
This compilation is made by me and one of my friend VirusAli, based on details which he sources from SIAM.
The data mentioned here is authentic as submitted to SIAM by respective car manufacturers.
POsitioning of vehicles is also as per current SIAM classification.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks