Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 19:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

officially, mahindra is not selling xylo to the taxi market.

in mumbai, you can see some 'yellow board' xylos, but they are not taxis. as per the RTO rule in here, any 7+ seater vehicle registered in the name of an organization (that is, not registered in the name of an individual) will have yellow number plates. Its applicable in kerela too. (my native is kerela, that too allepey, so i know!) we have a 8 seater qualis there with yellow number plate, but its a private car. its registered in the name of our company.

Taxis can be differentiated by the 'T' smybol on the rear & sides.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:36   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

in mumbai, you can see some 'yellow board' xylos, but they are not taxis. as per the RTO rule in here, any 7+ seater vehicle registered in the name of an organization (that is, not registered in the name of an individual) will have yellow number plates. Its applicable in kerela too. (my native is kerela, that too allepey, so i know!) we have a 8 seater qualis there with yellow number plate, but its a private car. its registered in the name of our company.

I thought Yellow number plate is for "Rent-a-cab" category e.g. Hertz. RTO has this specific category

Isn't Taxi number plate supposed to be in Black background with White letters ?
Old 16th September 2009, 20:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the xylo is NOT being sold to the taxi market.

that means only "private" xylos are competing with "private" & "taxi" innovas in the above record. once mahindra starts selling xylos in the taxi market, the numbers would increase by a large extent
Do not agree here and actually am confused. What exactly are you trying to convey when you say taxi here? I have not seen official Innova "taxis" in Punjab, but I have seen lots of "private" Innovas running as taxis.

Similarly a lot of Scorpios and Xylos sold by the dealership I know in my city are "private" taxis.

In conclusion what I want to say is that Xylo is sold to the taxi market, even though that is the private taxi market and Mahindra cannot stop that. Its the same case with the Vista. My friend recently was in the market to buy MUV's for his private taxi business. He had almost bought Xylos, but in the end reverted to Toyota.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
I thought Yellow number plate is for "Rent-a-cab" category e.g. Hertz. RTO has this specific category

Isn't Taxi number plate supposed to be in Black background with White letters ?
yes, yellow number plates with black lettering are for vehicles in use for public transport/commercial purposes. they are just not for rent-a-cab vehicles. havent you seen our fiat taxis, BEST bus & all trucks with such plates?

but not all yellow number plate vehicles are taxis/private taxis. for example, we have few boleros in my company for company use (which is a 9 seater) & is registered in the name of my company, hence it has a yellow number plate, but it is NOT a taxi.

my neighbour has bought a 8 seater innova in his company's name, it has a yellow number plate, but it is not a taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Do not agree here and actually am confused. What exactly are you trying to convey when you say taxi here? I have not seen official Innova "taxis" in Punjab, but I have seen lots of "private" Innovas running as taxis.
i am not talking about the official innova taxis, i am indeed talking about the innovas which are tourist vehicles/private taxis. innovas with yellow number plates & 'T' written over it are private taxis.

Quote:
Similarly a lot of Scorpios and Xylos sold by the dealership I know in my city are "private" taxis.
not seen many scorpio taxis here in mumbai & NO xylo taxis as it is "officially" not sold under a taxi registration.

Quote:
In conclusion what I want to say is that Xylo is sold to the taxi market, even though that is the private taxi market and Mahindra cannot stop that.
just head to any mahindra showroom & ask for a xylo under taxi registration, you will get the reply. been there, done that, hence my comment!

i mean, without any crooked means , you wont get one!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th September 2009 at 23:16.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i am not talking about the official innova taxis, i am indeed talking about the innovas which are tourist vehicles/private taxis. innovas with yellow number plates & 'T' written over it are private taxis.
Cant comment on other places, but I have not seen such taxis in Punjab - and Punjab is one of the biggest car markets

Quote:

not seen many scorpio taxis here in mumbai .
Xylo, is difficult, but will put up a picture of a scorpio taxi stand on Sunday. After Innova, Scorpio and Tavera are most common private taxis, and they like Innova have normal white number plates

Quote:
NO xylo taxis as it is "officially" not sold under a taxi registration.
just head to any mahindra showroom & ask for a xylo under taxi registration, you will get the reply. been there, done that, hence my comment!
Didnot know that. To me, Xylo's positioning in its class appears to parallel Indica's position in its segment. Shattering value, but discerning private buyers will avoid it!
So mahindra should get real and sell Taxis
Old 17th September 2009, 00:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Xylo, is difficult, but will put up a picture of a scorpio taxi stand on Sunday. After Innova, Scorpio and Tavera are most common private taxis, and they like Innova have normal white number plates
are these taxis legal? i mean, the taxis with white number plates- do they have 'T' written on the sides?

if no, then i guess, these are the illegal ones.

the reason i am saying this is because my friend from UP says there are a lot of cars in UP which are registered as private cars & used as taxis (for Tax benefits!).

anyways, we are going OT!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th September 2009 at 00:12.
Old 18th September 2009, 00:40   #67
BANNED

Quote:
yes, yellow number plates with black lettering are for vehicles in use for public transport/commercial purposes. they are just not for rent-a-cab vehicles. havent you seen our fiat taxis, BEST bus & all trucks with such plates?

but not all yellow number plate vehicles are taxis/private taxis. for example, we have few boleros in my company for company use (which is a 9 seater) & is registered in the name of my company, hence it has a yellow number plate, but it is NOT a taxi.

my neighbour has bought a 8 seater innova in his company's name, it has a yellow number plate, but it is not a taxi.
13 years back I've been associated with something like Rent-a-cab. Gujarat RTO has a separate category "Rent-a-Cab" where Yellow number plate is used.

If the car is registered in company name, Yelllow number plate is not required. It carries normall number plate - white background with black numbering.

Taxi number plate is reverse - Black background with white numbering
Old 18th September 2009, 08:49   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post

If the car is registered in company name, Yelllow number plate is not required. It carries normall number plate - white background with black numbering.
buddy, i have given various examples above to justify my claim. my own boleros, my qualis, my neighbour's innova, all have yellow number plates. its indeed required as per law.

i repeat, only 7+ seater cars registered in the name of a company requires a yellow number plate.

you can check with the RTO.

i am saying this because we have been buying SUVs/MUVs in private & company use for last many years!

Quote:
Taxi number plate is reverse - Black background with white numbering
have you seen any taxis in mumbai with the above number plate? all commercial, public transport vehicles & tourist cars should have yellow number plates.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 18th September 2009 at 08:52.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:53   #69
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I own a white number place 7+1 Seater Tata Safari (2+1 person rear seats config) - company registation in Mumbai - check out my garage, so the restictions that you mention for an 8 seater obviously dont apply for mumbai - unless they are new regualations.

Quote:

Normal white number plate Taxi's are Illegal. (NOT LEGAL) If you have a major accident while they are being used as a taxi insurance will not cover you, plus they are headed for police trouble.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:13   #70
BHPian

I heard from one Innova owner that a letter to RTO (mentioning non-public transport) is required to bend the rule and allow a white color number place registration for 7+ seater cars.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:17   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I heard from one Innova owner that a letter to RTO (mentioning non-public transport) is required to bend the rule and allow a white color number place registration for 7+ seater cars.
It may not be 'bending' the rules. Even with the white board, the vehicle has to be marked as 'Omni bus for private use'!

That was how my Versa got a white plate, but I never wrote that in my vehicle, though legally required.
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

karpusv, nice work with the excel sheet. Thanks for sharing with us. Honestly, was surprised to see Alto leading in sales in its segment. And the fall of civic from 600+ units to 200+ units was also surprising.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I own a white number place 7+1 Seater Tata Safari (2+1 person rear seats config) - company registation in Mumbai - check out my garage, so the restictions that you mention for an 8 seater obviously dont apply for mumbai - unless they are new regualations.
but the safari is 'officially' a 7 seater, hence no issues. you may have modified the rear seat yourself, isnt it?
Old 24th September 2009, 10:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Just read a ticker on CNBC that Maruti has stopped production of SX4 for 6 weeks
Anyones got any news? Some plant maintenance or they have overproduced, arent they selling a regular 1000-1100 units?
Old 24th September 2009, 10:50   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton karpusv. I never knew the i20 was selling so well. I guess hyundai has another winner on its hands.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks