Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2006, 23:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

For some reason I am not amenable to 2 door coupe-types of small cars like Aveo/Getz/Swift and like. But 2 door versions of Accord/Sonata etc would be very desirable cars. Infact I would prefer to buy them instead of 4 door versions.

A coupe Accord somehow appeals to my senses.
Old 1st December 2006, 23:14   #77
BHPian

A coupe accord is a good idea but then a coupe is supposed to be fast and most importantly a good handler. A Honda Accord handles like jelly on ice.
Old 30th October 2008, 23:20   #78
Senior - BHPian

I had driven a swift coupe/hatchback GTI which was an esteem with no boot sold in uk in 90's and oh boy what performance this baby had. I could compare this car to the Honda's pocket rocket and love to buy it any day. This kind of cars appeal to youngsters and have a market in India, they should sell out here although in limited no's.
Old 31st October 2008, 00:01   #79
BHPian

i would definitely buy a two door car but it should not have a four door variant being sold in the market. As our market is at nascent stage individuality is important for a coupe to succeed.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:19   #80
BHPian

Coupe version of indian cars

Sometimes I wonder, what if there are coupe versions of good-to-drive indian cars like Swift, fiesta, etc.

Though they will never have the performance of luxury car segment coupe, they would be good fun at under 10 lakh, plus their lesser weight would help giving good performance for their current engines , won't it ?
(ofcourse, the performance should be better than their 4 door equivalents)

Last edited by Revention : 8th March 2011 at 22:04.
Old 9th March 2011, 00:48   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coupe version of indian cars

There are Coupe version of most hatches in the international market, but in India, it just wont sell.

For a car of that price tag, it needs to sell in decent volumes for the company to make margins.

Our market is not ready for the Coupe's yet.

Remember the Zen Steen and Carbon?.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:58   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Our market is not ready for the Coupe's yet.

Remember the Zen Steen and Carbon?.
The Zen Steel and Zen Carbon were manufactured in limited numbers, 150 each, I think. And AFAIK, all were sold. And they still command a premium in the used car market when compared to a normal Zen of similar vintage.

But yes, I do agree that Coupe's won't sell much to justify the cost incurred by the manufacturer.
Old 9th March 2011, 04:51   #83

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

A coupe is not just a two door car my friend. It has to have a sloping roofline too. There is a difference. there can be 4 door coupes too. Case in point, the Rapide, CLS and A7 amongst several others.
Old 9th March 2011, 05:13   #84
Senior - BHPian

Zen steel and Carbon were export surplus cars that were smartly marketed by Maruti. Today, as the market slowly matures and we get more younger buyers, and more cars in the family, the demand for sportier coupes should increase. I guess its high time manufacturers do a survey for the same.
Personally, I would love to have a coupe - but unfortunately could never do so for various circumstances every time I bought a car.
Old 9th March 2011, 13:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Dont think coupe is a suitable for indian families, coupes are more suited for couples etc. not for joint family where there are elder parents.
They cant jump into the interiors seats of the car. Moreover the coupe only works better if the leg space is good.
You cant have a coupe design with lesser leg space.

BTW, The only indian manufactured car to come with coupe design is hold on.. The REVA.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:23   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOART View Post
A coupe is not just a two door car my friend. It has to have a sloping roofline too. There is a difference. there can be 4 door coupes too. Case in point, the Rapide, CLS and A7 amongst several others.
I'd like to differ on that, the A7/CLS are marketed as a sportback/coupe, there is a difference.
Read this
Quote:
Fastback sedans
A fastback sedan is a two-box sedan, with continuous slope from the roof to the base of the decklid, but excludes the hatchback feature. Marketing terminology is often misleading in this area - for example, Daimler AG calls the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class sedan a four-door coupé because its semi-fastback design tries to give the impression of a coupé. Certain sedans are edging close to being one-box vehicles, where the windshield is steeply raked from the hood/bonnet and the rear window slopes toward almost the end of the car, leaving just a short rear deck that is part of the trunk lid - the 2006 4-door Honda Civic is an example of this. They are not fastbacks because their bodyline changes from the roof to the rear deck. Their steeply raked rear windows end with a decklid that does not continue down to the bumper. Instead, their rear ends are tall - sometimes in a Kammback style - to increase trunk space.
Typically this design is chosen for its aerodynamic advantages. Automakers can no longer afford the penalty in fuel consumption produced by the traditional notchback three box form.
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_(automobile)

And this, an interesting read.
Coupé - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by rg_chn : 9th March 2011 at 15:26.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:45   #87
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a 2 door car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93 View Post
Does anybody have pics of the Zen coupe? I have never seen the Zen Carbon in all these years ...
This is of the net. My friend had one of these cars, sold it about 2 years ago. I wanted to buy, but dint have the money required at that time.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy a 2 door car ?-68659.jpg  

Archish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2011, 17:23   #88
Senior - BHPian

my answer is : not unless the car has >=250 bhp.
2 Door Hatchbacks are not practical for indian conditons as its a known fact that indians are plus size people and fitting through that small space is not an option. Not to mention that it would be terribly inconvenient for old people to get in or out.
Old 9th March 2011, 23:01   #89
BHPian

I had bought the Zen Carbon when it was launched. I got the last one available in Mumbai city after calling five dealers.

Yes it was a bit inconvenient, imagine it raining and you gotta get out to let the rear guys exit !! I also faced a lot of issues for getting spares, being a limited edition. the front door was longer than the usual Zen so even a small thing like the door rubber beading was difficult to procure.

Nevertheless, it was a class apart. Leather upholstery drilled pedals, alloy wheels, chrome tip exhaust, coupled with its fantastic engine and a killer in-gears acceleration - The effect was mesmerizing

For a family with small kids, it may still work cuz it gives that extra safety. No rear doors - no child lock !!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks