Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 13:33   #91
BHPian

I guess I am an exception. I have always liked the looks of the X1!

I also think a crossover makes a lot of sense for India. We need decent ground clearance, but not such a high center of gravity that there is a danger of the vehicle turning turtle.

Pricing will be the key. If they can price it less than or equal to 30 lakhs on-road Bangalore, I think we can see BMW can make serious in-roads into the soft-roader segment. I am disappointed that BMW did not choose to assemble the X1 in India.

Somehow, Me thinks the biggest casualty in all this will be the CRV.
Old 1st November 2010, 16:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

nowwhat? The X1 will be close to 30L, I do not know about Banglore as I believe the tax is quite high but in major part of the country I believe BMW is trying to price it at that price atleast the base variant will be. And good news for you, the X1 is being assembled and has been spoken for in the media and various posts on the forum itself.

The best part about not being a CBU is also the fact that certain states have a higher RTO tax if it's a CBU, which adds a lot to the total cost of the car.
Old 1st November 2010, 17:05   #93
Team-BHP Support

Looks like BMW is serious about the X1. If they're planning on assembling the car here, they're definitely serious about it. They could have easily introduced it as a CBU but getting it assembled here is a good move. I wonder what sort of volumes they're expecting. I don't have any doubts that it will be one of BMW's best sellers, if not the best! Only time will tell!

Look out Santa Fe/CRV, you're in trouble alright!

P.S. S350L: I shall find out the price in B'lore and get back to you.
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:13   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Volvo S60 is a proper sedan and not like the X1 which sits on stilts. Besides, I doubt if the '300 bhp petrol motor' would sell as well as a diesel. Think about it! Next time you catch a Mercedes or a BMW on the road, try and get a glimpse of the variant. It will invariably be a diesel! At least, most of them would be oil-burners.

The S80 should fall under the '3 Series - C Class - A4' price bracket. Which means that it will be more expensive than the X1.

And, Volvo will not be able to match the sheer snob-value that BMW enjoys in our market. Unless Volvo start assembling SKDs in India, I don't see them going anywhere. CBUs will not trouble BMW, Mercedes and Audi.
Well I mentioned volvo S60 because its going to be in the same price segment and not same platform as in suvs and cars. (S60 is expected at around 26lakhs for a fully loaded petrol model and the X1 highline model at around 29 lakhs. Only the stripped down base version of X1is expected at around 23 lakhs) and Because people considering the X1 might buy it mostly because of the BMW badge at this price. And with a superlative performance the S60 promises, it might be a hit with all the performance junkies like us Bhpians. and we see more diesel mercs/bmws compared to the petrol ones because they are almost equal in price and performance with the petrols so it definitely makes more sense but here the performance of the S60 would be way ahead compared to the BMW diesel. So if you are choosing between a bmw 530i or 530d or a merc E350 cgi or the E350 cdi.. Then the diesels make more sense as they perform equally well or even better at almost same price. And I personally have nothing against the BMW X1. Infact I even love the looks unlike many here. And think it might be even more practical than the 3 series. But the volvo S60 just promises much more. Though still at the end of the day the X1 might sell 4 times more than the S60 because its a BMW and owning a BMW is a dream come true for many and also the snob value you get with it.
Old 8th November 2010, 14:15   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

I checked out the X1 at Inifinity Worli.

In pics the car looked ugly to me, but its a lot easier on the eyes in flesh. Checked out the highline version
Had the new iDrive, with a high-res screen display
Interior space was adequate although the seats did feel low, especially at the back
The GC is barely higher than the 3 series
Very good design 17inch alloys but unfortunately come with RFTs !
Plastic quality is not anywhere close to BMW standards, there's a shabby finish on the dash. Big turn off, wish they had not cut such 'in-the-eye' costs
The panaromic sunroof was mighty impressive ! Thats one feature that won my heart hands down
OTR price for highline is expected at 36 lakhs while corporate will be approx 30 lakhs

Overall seems like a better buy than the 3 series albeit the quality levels have significantly dropped.

Last edited by Sahil : 8th November 2010 at 14:17.
Old 8th November 2010, 16:27   #96
Senior - BHPian

Saw the X1

I saw an X1 at the NH8 on the Dehi-Gurgaon expressway while I was visiting my home. This vehicle is much more impressive in the flesh than in the pics. I cannot comment on the stated drop in quality standards but it does not look really 'smallish'. It is fairly substantial (although not really BIG).

I thought that it had been launched coz the driver was driving it very casually, making absolutely no attempt to conceal its identity!
Old 8th November 2010, 16:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

Sahil, is the price you have correct? 36L On the road? Kinda steep as I imagined it to be atleast 10 - 15% lower then a similar BMW 3 series variant.

Abhil_Automobile, they do not need to hide it's identity as it's been globally launched and also been doing rounds at various dealerships across India for customer preview.

P.S a little offtopic but how exactly can I integrate the new INR symbol while typing? or is it still due?

Regard,
Old 8th November 2010, 21:57   #98
BHPian

I do believe that the X1 would be a very good fit for India. It definitely looks good. I wish they price it below 320d Corp. That would make it a huge success in India.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:50   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I checked out the X1 at Inifinity Worli.

OTR price for highline is expected at 36 lakhs while corporate will be approx 30 lakhs

Overall seems like a better buy than the 3 series albeit the quality levels have significantly dropped.
For CE 30L on road mumbai is close to the 320d CE. Which means person buying outside octroi, could fall anywhere around 27.5L.
However with the new 3 coming next year one can expect better discounts on the current 320d. Which could make it better value for sometime. Ideally I feel the X1 CE on road mumbai should have be around 27- 28L.
Old 11th November 2010, 13:57   #100
BHPian

Apparently, Jaipur launch of X1 is tommorow.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:11   #101
Senior - BHPian

akhilesh51, Are you going to attend? Do confirm with the dealer if it's a launch or only a display car which they have been sending to various other dealers for months now.

But incase it is an official launch please do update the final ex showroom prices?

Regards,
Old 11th November 2010, 17:39   #102
BHPian

spotted a brand new X1 being transported on a flatbed on old airport road yesterday.
Old 12th November 2010, 12:04   #103
BHPian

hey akhilesh51, if you are going for the launch please take out a LOT of pics and post here ..cant wait to see the final production version of the X1 for india

Tentative pricing i hear in pune is 30lcs for the Basic version and 38 for the highline[possibly on-road pricing]. The highline will be launched first. The official launch will be in about 8 days from today

Last edited by thegman : 12th November 2010 at 12:18.
Old 12th November 2010, 13:50   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The GC is barely higher than the 3 series
Uh-oh!
Higher GC is a must for those that want to take the car to places like NE India and rough interior roads.
I understand the need to maintain stability, but I would rather have a car I can take on any Indian road without worrying about it hitting our massive speedbreakers.
Old 12th November 2010, 15:07   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
akhilesh51, Are you going to attend? Do confirm with the dealer if it's a launch or only a display car which they have been sending to various other dealers for months now.

But incase it is an official launch please do update the final ex showroom prices?

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
hey akhilesh51, if you are going for the launch please take out a LOT of pics and post here ..cant wait to see the final production version of the X1 for india

Tentative pricing i hear in pune is 30lcs for the Basic version and 38 for the highline[possibly on-road pricing]. The highline will be launched first. The official launch will be in about 8 days from today
It is an official launch with invitations et al. I may be wrong though. The only way to find out is to attend the show.

Of late, Jaipur is becoming a hub for launching premium vehicles with Vento press launch too happening here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks